Speaker advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker advice

techmonkey
01-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Hey,

Hey, I’m looking into purchasing a sound system that would need to be sufficient for a room the size of a small club, with corrugated iron walls and 360 view of corrugated plastic windows at head height so there would be a lot of echo and sound dissipation.

It's on a hobby farm that is out of the way so volume is not a problem, in fact i a large amount of bass and sound is what I'm looking for.

I’ve been told that a subwoofer and two tops are the way to go. (is this true?)

With this in mind does anyone have any suggestions around the $1000-$1500 mark?

Thanks in advance for your time, and sorry if this isn't the right place to post this :\

Mr Peabody
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
The fact that you say the walls are corrugated will be of help with keeping down reverb. Hopefully the place is carpet or you plan to place down some rugs. Curtains over windows will help. Maybe some over stuffed furniture.

Any way, speakers..... I was going to recommend Pro but being you are on a budget, I'd recommend some Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a sub. What shape is the room, square, rectangle etc. ? Klipsch is the most efficient consumer line speaker I know of, that would be affordable any way. Efficient, will play loud with not much power and should better fill a large room than most. Downside, if the room is really live, lot of echo etc. Klipsch uses horn tweeters and they are crisp.

Subs, www.svsound.com the smallest cylinder is around $569.00. I have a step up model, best sub I've ever had. It's accurate, plays deep and fast. If you want a lot of boom, like for dance you might want to go another direction.

Another direction to consider is Bose. The reason I say this, they typically produce a diffuse sound stage, meaning the sound goes all around and can't really pinpoint the musicians. This is a bad thing for those of us who sit in a chair and do critical listening but may be an advantage for what you are doing. Another advantage for Boase, they typically do not have an extended high end and could give a warmer sound in that room. I'd still recommend a sub. The downside, you will need more power than with the Klipsch to play higher volumes.

One other way, if this is going to be a club, you could go with in-ceiling speakers. I'm not familiar enough to point you in any direction here but there are brands that are pretty affordable. As long as you don't get too many up there you should be able to use a regular amp. If wanting several, over 4 to 6, you might want to consider a 70 volt line amp and speaker set up.

I may have assumed too much, what are you going to use this room for?

techmonkey
01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
The space is about 9.5 meters by 14.5 meters. The speakers will need to cater for around about 100 people give or take.

We were using other less powerful speakers at one point but some kids kept turning them up and blowing them. we're hoping with better quality ones that we'll be able to have loud enough so that people don't need them louder :P.

Mr Peabody
01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
What amp are you using? What other equipment, like CD player etc.? Just two speakers for a room that large is a big job. Use the Klipsch unless you think the in-ceiling might be an option.

A bit more expensive but you might go online or to a music store and see what a 2-way DJ or Pro speaker would run. Like a Yamaha or Peavey 2-way, usually a 15" woofer and a horn. Being much larger than a bookshelf and at least as efficient this is a better way to go. They would also have better power handling. Most of these only use a 1/4" plug so some adapting may have to be done to your speaker cable. There are smaller versions of these speakers that have pole stands that may interest you. Usually a 10" or 12" 2-way with a smaller horn.

Electro-Voice sells the perfect rig, it's a large horn loaded 18" woofer in a box, up from the box is two poles which another speaker mounts horizontally between the poles and can be tilted up or down, I believe it was a 12" 2-way. A pair of these would rock your room. If I remember they were about 7' tall. Way back when I think I sold these around $2k a set.

techmonkey
01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
The Electro-Voice setup sound pretty sweet. I'm using some turntables with my computer and scratch live, the main output will be from a 2 channel mixer though.

The other this is that I'm from Australia so I'm not sure if we have Electro-Voice stores or if they ship to Australia and how much more that costs.

Mr Peabody
01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Another mate from down under was saying some type of charge made bringing electronics into Austrailia is expensive.

Another line I thought of is Cerwin Vega. With them you wouldn't really need a sub. They have models with 12" woofers and the line is primarily known for Disco/rock-n-Roll speakers. In fact, what made me remember them is they include a protection circuit to prevent them from being blown.

You might be able to type some of these brands into a search engine and see if any one in your area carries them.

jerry.p009
01-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Really nice advice and also one most important is when you buy speakers must buy the wooden buffer is more effective for sound :)