Mouth to Mouth [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mouth to Mouth

Hyfi
01-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Mouth to Mouth was the next movie from 2005 after Hard Candy for Ellen Page. This one was not as disturbing as Hard Candy or Tracey Fragments but quite odd none the less.

The film starts out in Berlin Germany showing a girl on her way home from school. She comes across a group of what looks like street people watching a demonstration of CPR. Turns out they are a bunch of junkies on methadone being taken care of by a few radicals including Harry, the crazed American leader. He never had a shirt on for the whole movie.

The group travels to a vineyard in Spain to live in what becomes a cult atmosphere. If you break the rules, you get punished. Sherry (Ellen Page) was placed into the Pit which was dreaded punishment for breaking rules. Sherry broke the rule of No Sex but with Harry who didn't seem to get punished.

Lots of other strange happenings occur including Sherry's mother coming to take her home only to become brainwashed and staying on with the weirdos. Another girl, who by the way has asthma, planned to run away but was found out. Sherry takes the blame even though she had nothing to do with it and both her and Nancy are put into the pit. As they scream for help for Nancy having an attack with no inhaler, the group loudens their chanting while labeling wine bottles.

One of the startngest dudes, can't remember his name but was actually a good soul, went to help the girls out of the pit and the final confrontation begins.

The look, feel, and sound of this film scream 1970s but many references are made back to the mother about how it was not still the 70s. What looked like a group of misfits looking to help each other, turns out to be a whacked out cult.

I liked this one a bit but way strange as most of Ellen's movies.

Whip It will be next when I get hold of it. I don't think I can watch any more of these psycho older flicks she did.

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all these reviews Hyfi. I'm very curious to see more of her films now. It sounds like she has a knack for picking interesting films to work in. I love when an actor has the guts (or just needs a job) to choose off-beat scripts. I just hope that with her more recent success, she doesn't start to do the romantic comedy schtick.

Hyfi
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all these reviews Hyfi. I'm very curious to see more of her films now. It sounds like she has a knack for picking interesting films to work in. I love when an actor has the guts (or just needs a job) to choose off-beat scripts. I just hope that with her more recent success, she doesn't start to do the romantic comedy schtick.

I don't think I will watch An American Crime after seeing some of the trailers. I don't need to see people torturing a child although it probably mirrors some reality of today.

After Whip It, I think I will move on to some Amy Adams stuff after discovering her in Julie & Julia the other day.

Anyway, Ellen does complete justice to every dark role she has been in. Always believable and never any question as to her commitment to the role at hand. This young actress blows away most of her adult well loved piers that have been way over used. Like, who the hell cares to see Jenifer Aniston in anything?

Glad you enjoyed the reviews.