Best live song intro's.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best live song intro's..

Worf101
03-28-2004, 02:46 PM
I know this as obscure idea but I love to see/hear how songs are introduced or started live. It can set the whole tone for a song or a perfomance... Here're some of my fave's.

1. Jimi at Monterey -"Like a Roling Stone". I love the banter the absolute marvelous vocal urgings to 'get on it". Masterful.

2. Jackson Brown - "Running on Empty". The dead silence of the hall, the cries from the audience untill finally some guy hollars out "play what you want". I loved it.

3. Sly and the Family Stone - "Higher/Music Lover". Let's face it this was the moment from Woodstock. Still gives me goosebumps.

May add more later as I look thrugh stuff.

Da Worfster. :cool:

jasn
03-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Steve Hunter made Lou Reed a Rock n Roll Animal with his intro for Sweet Jane.

Hyfi
03-28-2004, 05:59 PM
"Now here he is to kick your ass.....The Pat Travers Band!"

Not sure if this fits the puzzle but it's what came to mind.

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Bill Withers, from Live at Carnegie Hall -- his introduction to "Lean On Me" comes to mind. Whole bunch of good introductions on that album...

mad rhetorik
03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
The banter between the tracks on The Who's <b>Live At Leeds</b> come to mind. Some hilarious bits of dialogue between Townshend and Moon on there. Pete: "I've been told that (Mose Allison) was a 'jazz sage'...I'm not sure what that means but.." Keith: "..flavored chicken?"

"It's time to...<i>kick out the jams muthaf--kas!</i>" -Rob Tyner, from The MC5's live album of the same name.

"I thought you said 'Free Bird.'" -Adrian Belew, responding to the audience at King Crimson's Double Trio concert in NYC (represented on <b>Vroom Vroom</b>).

"This is for all the soldiers fighting in Chicago...Milwaukee....New York...and, oh yes, all the soldiers fighting in Vietnam." -Jimi Hendrix at the Filmore on New Year's Eve, introducing "Machine Gun."

"London England...consider yourselves....warned!" -Chuck D. of Public Enemy, at the Hammersmith Odeon (this was a bit of live recording on the intro of <b>It Takes A Nation..</b>).

"Charlie's good, 'innit he?" -Mick Jagger to Charlie Watts on <b>Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!</b>

Stone
03-29-2004, 06:04 AM
"Rick Wakeman, eat your heart out. Here we go!"

Dead Kennedys - Short Songs

Mr MidFi
03-29-2004, 07:05 AM
jasn took my pick...Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner put on one of the great 1-2 guitar attacks in rock history on Rock 'n Roll Animal.

My second favorite:
All right, are you ready to get down? I said, are you ready for some rock and roll!!! Let's hear it...for J. Geils Band! {opening licks to "First I Look at the Purse"]}
~ Live - Full House

An old fave from Jr. High.

DariusNYC
03-29-2004, 07:21 AM
"London England...consider yourselves....warned!" -Chuck D. of Public Enemy, at the Hammersmith Odeon (this was a bit of live recording on the intro of <b>It Takes A Nation..</b>).

That was the first intro that came to my mind, even though it starts off a studio album. Now that is some powerful stuff. But I didn't think it was Chuck D that made that statement; maybe it was Professor Griff.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-29-2004, 07:35 AM
I love the banter between Lou Reed and audience that starts off Velvet Undergrounds "1969" live album with a great version of "Waiting For the Man" following.

Mark

-Jar-
03-29-2004, 09:38 AM
"Germany.. We're here to rock your pants!"
-King Buzzo of the Melvins.. (Your Choice Live Series, Melvins Live in 1991)

"This song goes out to my mommy because I love her"
-David Yow of the Jesus Lizard (SHOW live album..into to "Pastoral" I think)

"Scream for me Long Beach!!"
-Bruce Dickenson, Iron Maiden, LIVE AFTER DEATH

"Breakin' the what?"
"Breakin' the WHAT?"
"Breakin' the WHAT?!?!"
-Rob Halford, Judas Priest, any performance of "Breakin' the Law"

:D

-jarmetalhead

Rikki
03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
"What song is it you wanna hear ?"
Freebird - Lynard Skynard

Here's one for you Jar (if you don't have it check it out)
"Did anybody bring a hammer ?!?!? HAMMERHEAD !!"
F**K You EP - Overkill

Gresh
03-29-2004, 05:38 PM
"This is for all the drunks"

The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, introducing Spirits in the Night off the 1978 Lost in The Promise Land bootleg from San Fran - the definitive Bruce bootleg