First Thoughts Of My New iMagnepan 1.6's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First Thoughts Of My New iMagnepan 1.6's

manlystanley
01-01-2010, 07:50 PM
What a sound! Bright, Open, Warm, Rich....... What other adjectives can I offer?? I love them!!!!!!!!!!

I found that bi-wiring my speakers from the amp was a HUGE help. Especially since my amp is 20+ feet from the speakers.

Also, the speakers can with 'speaker stands'. These are beautiful wooden bases, with metal arms that come up at a 60 degree angle (in back) to hold the speaker steady. Does anyone use anything like this? Is it helpful to put on??

The only negative commenst I've got about them is:

1.) The sound stage is not as much of an improvement as I hoped. Also, imaging is not as as big of an improvement. I thought that the Magnepans were famous for imaging?? So, I guess that I'm not positioning the speakers correctly?? How do you all (who own Planar speakers) position them?

2.) The lower bass could be improvd. But, I knew that going into it.....

Besides these few things I love my Maggies!! Thanks for all your help!!

"Once you go flat... you'll never go back....."

Best Regards,
Stan

blackraven
01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Stan, the maggies need some toe in and need to be at least 6' apart. I have mine with about 10-12 degrees toe inabout 6.5'- 7' a part. I also have mine standing straight up as opposed to some upward tilt. The tweeters also need to be on the outside of the speakers. Play with the positioning. Make sure you are sitting in the sweet spot which is small unfortunately.

manlystanley
01-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Stan, the maggies need some toe in and need to be at least 6' apart. I have mine with about 10-12 degrees toe inabout 6.5'- 7' a part. I also have mine standing straight up as opposed to some upward tilt. The tweeters also need to be on the outside of the speakers. Play with the positioning. Make sure you are sitting in the sweet spot which is small unfortunately.

BR, Thanks. I found this article as well: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57433.0

I'll work on things.

Best Regards,
Stan

jrhymeammo
01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey MS,

Good luck with your new toy.

Are you using those stock ceramic resistors for your higher frequency?
If so, the best thing you can do is to spend $3-4 each on premium resistors.

If you can give us detailed information on the speaker positioning,
Such as:
*Your room size
*Distance to the front wall, sides, your favorite chair.

I'm sure some planar freaks here can help you out, but mostly trust your ears.

Best wishes,
JRA

thekid
01-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Congrats!
I have always been interested in Maggies and their sound. I probably don't have the room to set them up right but it would be a nice problem to have to solve.

manlystanley
01-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Are you using those stock ceramic resistors for your higher frequency?
If so, the best thing you can do is to spend $3-4 each on premium resistors.

That was a question that I had. How do I put them in if I bi-wire? Does everyone use the 1.2 ohm resistors? I took mine out and I'm not sure if that was the best thing to do.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-02-2010, 05:17 AM
If you can give us detailed information on the speaker positioning,
Such as:
*Your room size
*Distance to the front wall, sides, your favorite chair.

I'm sure some planar freaks here can help you out, but mostly trust your ears.

Best wishes,
JRA

Will do. I changed the position some and that helps a lot. The current position is:

-- 3 feet from the side wall
-- 8.5 feet apart
-- 2' 4" feet & 2' 11" from front wall. (I guess that's a 30 degree toe in)?
-- Tweeter on the outside.
-- Sitting position: about 13 feet from each speaker.

Best Regards,
Stan

Feanor
01-02-2010, 05:24 AM
That was a question that I had. How do I put them in if I bi-wire? Does everyone use the 1.2 ohm resistors? I took mine out and I'm not sure if that was the best thing to do.

Best Regards,
Stan
I bi-wire but have never used the resistors. (Bi-wiring doesn't do much in my case, but then the cables are each only 3' in length 'cause I use momoblock amps and longer, balanced interconnects.)

If you're not bi-wiring and aren't using resistors, many people believe you get better sound replacing the metal jumpers with quality speaker wire. If using the resistors, perhaps a higher quality resistor as JRA suggests.

Also, you might find an improvement replacing the standard fuses with Hi-fi Tuning or similar specialty fuses, or replacing the fuses with quality wire.

The best toe-in with the MG 1.6 is to aim them directly at your listening position; this way you get maximum resolution and imaging. N.B. this is actually Magnepan's recommendation. However if you have a very "live" room, less toe-in and/or the resistors might help -- but better in that case to tone down the room with some sound absorbing treatments.

Feanor
01-02-2010, 05:29 AM
See my comments in context ...

Will do. I changed the position some and that helps a lot. The current position is:

-- 3 feet from the side wall ... OK, but ...
-- 8.5 feet apart ... maybe a little farther apart given your listening distance
-- 2' 4" feet & 2' 11" from front wall. (I guess that's a 30 degree toe in)? ... 3' would be better; point them directly at your listening position, per Magnepan's recommendation
-- Tweeter on the outside ... good: this is per Magnepan's recommendation
-- Sitting position: about 13 feet from each speaker.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-02-2010, 08:16 PM
See my comments in context ...

Thanks. I've trying that and it seems to help.

Best Regards,
Stan

Geoffcin
01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
What a sound! Bright, Open, Warm, Rich....... What other adjectives can I offer?? I love them!!!!!!!!!!

I found that bi-wiring my speakers from the amp was a HUGE help. Especially since my amp is 20+ feet from the speakers.

Also, the speakers can with 'speaker stands'. These are beautiful wooden bases, with metal arms that come up at a 60 degree angle (in back) to hold the speaker steady. Does anyone use anything like this? Is it helpful to put on??

The only negative commenst I've got about them is:

1.) The sound stage is not as much of an improvement as I hoped. Also, imaging is not as as big of an improvement. I thought that the Magnepans were famous for imaging?? So, I guess that I'm not positioning the speakers correctly?? How do you all (who own Planar speakers) position them?

2.) The lower bass could be improvd. But, I knew that going into it.....

Besides these few things I love my Maggies!! Thanks for all your help!!

"Once you go flat... you'll never go back....."

Best Regards,
Stan

Hi Stan,

Great to hear your setup and going!

You've gotten some great advice already, the only thing I would add is to play with distance from the wall. Sometimes if you move it just 2 inches more you can get the bass to really come up at your seating position. It's all about the delay time that both front and back wave reaches you. Get it right and you've got 3dB more bass, wrong and there's 3dB less.

bubslewis
01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Stan, were the speaker stands supplied by Magnepan? When I purchased my 1.6's a couple of years ago, they just came with little metal feet type braces (not particularly fancy or sturdy).

I'm glad you like them. I'm not the least bit tired of mine after a couple of years.

Bill

manlystanley
01-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Stan, were the speaker stands supplied by Magnepan? When I purchased my 1.6's a couple of years ago, they just came with little metal feet type braces (not particularly fancy or sturdy).

I'm glad you like them. I'm not the least bit tired of mine after a couple of years.

Bill

No, these looked to be custom made. They are very nice hardwood base, with black painted rear supports. Then it came with sort of spikes as well.

Best Regards,
Stan