Reccomendations for floor standing speakers HELP!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations for floor standing speakers HELP!!

patrick.1359
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I am in the market for floor standing speakers under 200$ and if necessary, 300$. I have a questionare from a different thread that might help:.

a. What % of your usage will be music vs. HT (home theater)?
I will mostly use it for music and PS3

b. What types of music do you listen to the most? (classical/jazz, rap, rock, etc.)
Classic Rock and occasionally modern music (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Linkin Park, Nickelback, etc)

c. What types of movies do you watch the most? (action/thriller, drama/comedy, etc.)
Action. I will also be playing a PS3.

d. How big is your listening/viewing room?
Medium

e. What kind of receiver/amp will you have?
Denon

f. Do you have a subwoofer or plan to get one?
I have a klipsch subwoofer and a yamaha subwoofer

Anyways I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. I also need high quality speakers that really show the detail out of the music. I also like to play my music a little louder than most people. Thank for all your help.\red{}\black{}\black{}

blackraven
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Here are 2 floor standers that fit your budget. I would opt for the Energy over the Athena's. But for $300 you your not going to get great detail, just decent sound. If you have a good receiver and CD player along with some decent speaker wire and RCA interconnects you should be able to get pretty good sound from the Energy's.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

I would take a look at www.bluejeanscable.com for for some good low priced speaker wire and RCA interconnects to maximize your sound.

patrick.1359
01-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Ok I am thinkin about getting polk audio monitor speakers 60 or 70. Is there anything wrong or anything to be concerned about with these speakers?

patrick.1359
01-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I also said these is because they are only 180 at new egg. If anyone can find any coupon discount for these please tell me. If it helps I plan to purchase them sometime next week. Also, is newegg a trustable source for speakers? Thank for all your help.

patrick.1359
01-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I also found some sony SS-F7000. Are these any good for HIGH QUALITY!!! listening??

dakatabg
01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Sony SS-F7000 are ok speakers! I had them for a while and they sound pretty good but for the price they go, you can do a lot better.

blackraven
01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Stay away from Sony, pure junk! I've never been a fan of the Polk Monitor series. I still like the Energy speakers, but for $180 your not out too much money if you don't like them.

patrick.1359
01-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Never heard of energy speakers before and after looking at the energy speakers, they also looked like they wernt going to be able to handle anything good. Ditto with the Athena too. Please tell me if I am wrong. (Prefer answers from multiple people.)

harley .guy07
01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Sometimes looks can be deceiving. The Athena and Energy speakers are worlds above the Sony's that you mentioned and I would be comfortable in saying that they would be better than the Polks you mentioned as well. Polk audio was a very reputable speaker manufacturer in the 80's and early 90'd but now for the most part they are not the company they once were and in my opinion I would trust Athena or many other speaker manufacturers before I would settle for Polks monitor line which I have heard are not the speaker that Mathew Polk would be happy putting his name on now. There are a lot of brands now that are just throwing there name on speakers and components that are not the quality that said company was once known for making.

poppachubby
01-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Those Energy's and Athena's represent an incredibly high performance/value point. The Sony's have no business even being mentioned in the same sentence with these.

These products were made by API, I'm pretty sure AA is selling off the last of their stock. I think API sold both of these brands to Klipsch and they don't plan to continue either of them.

Can't beat those prices man...

patrick.1359
01-02-2010, 05:40 AM
well before i buy them, i would actually like to hear them

poppachubby
01-02-2010, 05:59 AM
patrick, Google should produce some consumer reviews for these models. Every audiophile in the "know" is clued into Athena for H/T. They are proven.

well before i buy them, i would actually like to hear them

For $200 or less, you may have to make some sacrifices. There is enough proven reviews to satisfy any sceptic.

Anyhow, good luck.

02audionoob
01-02-2010, 10:32 AM
If you can't accept that Energy and Athena are better choices than Sony and Polk at their respective price points, you're being unduly biased by familiar brand names and it's going to hurt you on sound quality.

patrick.1359
01-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I have read alot of reviews and I can see they are very good, but I would prefer 3 speakers in each. I also see that you can get them extreamly cheep online so it looks good. I am still leaning twords the polk though

dakatabg
01-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah 3 Way speakers are preferred by many people!

patrick.1359
01-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Ok I think I have made a good decision. I am going to go with the Polk Monitor 70 and would like your opinion. I also went to to a professional audio store and found that they carry phase technology, and had speakers for about 150 each but where bookshelf speakers.

blackraven
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Don't get caught up on whether or not a speaker is a 3 way or 2 way speaker. There are 2way speakers that cost a few thousand dollars. Those Energy speakers use better drivers than the Polks and they will sound better. The monitor series Polks always sounded muddy to me. I would much rather have a 2 way speaker with good drivers than a 3 way speaker with lesser drivers. People here gave you good advice, take it or leave it. The Energy speakers are known for quality sound at a very reasonable cost. Good luck with the Polks.

Worf101
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
If in your situation, I'd go ebay or Craigslist, get some quality speaks used. All my mains have been used. From my Walsh F's and 4's to my Platinum Audio Studio 3's to my current ADS 1290's. Superior sound, if well maintained and delivered, for loads less.

Worf.

patrick.1359
01-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok I am 75% sure about getting the Polk Monitor 70. I have heard that these have some cabinet problems and that is why you should buy TSI-500 instead. Is this true? Also I am getting these speakers because they are extremely cheep on newegg and I have a coupon. So basically I am going to get them and would like word on the cabinet problem. Also unless someone knows HIGH quality speakers for around 120-150 a piece then please tell me. Thanks For All The Help People.

patrick.1359
01-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Another thing is that craigs list in the area I live in has almost nothing.

patrick.1359
01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I also took into consideration about the high quality bookshelf speakers and came across the polk audio RT55i and have come down to the final decesion between polk audio RT55i and Monitor 70. I have a klipsch subwoofer also with crossover control too. So my question is, which one should I get? THANK FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.