A few basic questions... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A few basic questions...

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Here's where my ignorance really stands out. :)

We have a Toshiba upconverting DVD recorder. We use it for both watching DVDs and playing CDs. But more for playing CDs...we don't watch a lot of DVDs in general.

In the last few days, we've noticed that the sound coming from the player sounds distorted. But not all the time. Everything will sound fine then suddenly the sound will get kind of garbled then it'll smooth out again. It sounds like when you aren't quite on the radio station and you get that fine line of white noise underneath the music.

Anyhow, after a few CDs last night, the bad sound became more frequent so Hubby went to turn the player off and we switched to my iPod. He said that the DVD player was really hot.

Could the heat be affecting the sound?
What would cause the DVD player to heat up this way?
Can this be fixed or do we need to replace it?

I've never liked this player, from the day I bought it. So I'm happy to replace it if I have a reason to do so. We needed the DVD recorder for a one-time use when we changed cable providers and had to save what was on our PVR, but we don't have a use for the recorder option anymore.

If I have to replace this unit, should I switch to Blu-ray?

Can I play regular DVDs on Blu-ray?
Can I play CDs on Blu-ray?
Since we use the player more for audio than for video, would I be better off getting separate CD and DVD/BR players?

Thanks.

markw
01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I had a Toshiba upconverting DVD player and shortly after the warrranty expired it chose to not read about one out of three disks, at random. The only thing i initially liked about it was it's price and when the problems started, that became a moot point.

My guess is that repairing it woud cost more than it's worth.

If I were in your shoes I would go for a Blu-ray player.

Yes, Blu-ray players play (and up-convert) regular DVD's and also play CD's as well.

Some combo units also play SACD as well but these are not usually entry level units.

SACD playback requires an analog 5.1 connection to your receiver but the good thig is that these generally also pass the new hi-glitz Blu-ray audio through that as well. With one of these you'll have the best of both worlds.

the big buzz now is the Oppo 83 (or whatever). It plays anything you can throw at it and it does it well. Rickster has one and, come this spring, so will I.

poppachubby
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I agree with Mark. I too am considering Blu-Ray. Consider this though, where do all of the T.O.T.L. DVD players go when their owners upgrade? Blu-Ray aside, you can now buy a used Oppo DVD/CD/SACD player for a song on Ebay/Audiogon. I'm talkin not even a hundred bucks!

Sure, it won't play Blu-Ray, but it will play EVERYTHING else. It would play CD's much better than your Toshiba, that's for sure. Just an idea if you don't care about Blu-Ray and want to hold out. Otherwise, if you see yourself getting a BR in the near future, sounds like a good time to do it.

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I looked up the Oppo 83. At that price, I'd rather get one of those $78 BR players and invest in a separate CD player. As mentioned before, we don't watch a lot of movies so I see no reason to drop $600 or $700 on a Blu-ray player.

One of the issues that I would have with buying a BR player off of ebay is that the warranty would likely not be valid in Canada. It would have to be a really good deal to offset the cost of shipping and no warranty.

What else ya got for me? And...further to my other post here, regarding my brother's issues, what's the deal with Sony?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I looked up the Oppo 83. At that price, I'd rather get one of those $78 BR players and invest in a separate CD player. As mentioned before, we don't watch a lot of movies so I see no reason to drop $600 or $700 on a Blu-ray player.

One of the issues that I would have with buying a BR player off of ebay is that the warranty would likely not be valid in Canada. It would have to be a really good deal to offset the cost of shipping and no warranty.

What else ya got for me? And...further to my other post here, regarding my brother's issues, what's the deal with Sony?

FA, there are many Bluray players in the $120-170 dollar price point on Amazon that are quite good at CD, DVD, and Bluray playback. There is no use in staying at the same or lower technology for disc playback when some of the cheaper major manufacturers do all of that plus Bluray. It will give you the opportunity to rent Bluray's and experience 1080p HD content.

Read my response on the other thread about Sony and your brother's Bluray player

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
FA, there are many Bluray players in the $120-170 dollar price point on Amazon that are quite good at CD, DVD, and Bluray playback. There is no use in staying at the same or lower technology for disc playback when some of the cheaper major manufacturers do all of that plus Bluray. It will give you the opportunity to rent Bluray's and experience 1080p HD content.

Read my response on the other thread about Sony and your brother's Bluray player

Thanks Sir T. Much appreciated.

Any thoughts on this one (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10128437&catid=25323&logon=&langid=EN)? I can get it price matched at $199.

Remember, these are Canadian prices so they may seem a little high to you, in comparison to the US prices.

kexodusc
01-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Sir T. Much appreciated.

Any thoughts on this one (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10128437&catid=25323&logon=&langid=EN)? I can get it price matched at $199.

Remember, these are Canadian prices so they may seem a little high to you, in comparison to the US prices.
Hey FA,

I got that Sony unit for Christmas along with a $150 LG model that Futureshop also has...my wife got me the cheaper one, and my new favorite uncle got me the Sony. The picture quality and feature set of the Sony is nice. I have it hooked up to my 32" TV.
To be honest, I find the LG just as good for BluRay, when connected to just a TV. if there's a difference I can't really tell, but I've only watched 1 full movie on each player and went through several scenes of some other discs I have. The Sony has a built in DTS-MA and Dolby True HD audio decoder if I read the manual right, which is nice if your receiver has 5.1 inputs. My LG requires an HDMI cable to pass the new fancy lossless audio tracks BluRay has. That's probably not a big deal to you if you don't watch a ton of movies.

Anyway, first impression is favorable for both units.

I haven't tried a CD in either yet to be honest...

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Hey FA,

I got that Sony unit for Christmas along with a $150 LG model that Futureshop also has...my wife got me the cheaper one, and my new favorite uncle got me the Sony. The picture quality and feature set of the Sony is nice. I have it hooked up to my 32" TV.
To be honest, I find the LG just as good for BluRay, when connected to just a TV. if there's a difference I can't really tell, but I've only watched 1 full movie on each player and went through several scenes of some other discs I have. The Sony has a built in DTS-MA and Dolby True HD audio decoder if I read the manual right, which is nice if your receiver has 5.1 inputs. My LG requires an HDMI cable to pass the new fancy lossless audio tracks BluRay has. That's probably not a big deal to you if you don't watch a ton of movies.

Anyway, first impression is favorable for both units.

I haven't tried a CD in either yet to be honest...

Thanks Kex. That's great to know! My husband has a pre-concieved notion that LG products are crap given that LG used to be Goldstar. So I'd rather go with the Sony just to keep him happy. I'm going to head over to BB and Future shop in a little while to check things out.

Mr Peabody
01-02-2010, 09:06 AM
If you are using a digital connection (optical/coaxial) for audio to the receiver there shouldn't be any difference in sound between players, or very little between players as the receiver will be doing the decoding. The difference in sound quality comes into play when using analog connections.

If you get a cheap player for movies and interested in good CD sound for cheap look at the ERC-1 at www.emotiva.com this was on sale but may be regular price now that the holidays are over. You have a 30 day return window and you should be impressed by what you will hear. Use analog connections for listening to this.

Rich-n-Texas
01-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm here baby! I'm the only one you need!

Now come over here, kiss me and I'll tell you what you need to do. ;)

BadAssJazz
01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
You don't have to buy the Oppo BD83. In the next week or so, Oppo Digital will be releasing the replacement player for the 980H ($170), but it will be a universal player with Blu Ray capabilities. If you can hold your water, I'd wait for that to drop before purchasing the Sony BDP.

markw
01-02-2010, 05:24 PM
You don't have to buy the Oppo BD83. In the next week or so, Oppo Digital will be releasing the replacement player for the 980H ($170), but it will be a universal player with Blu Ray capabilities. If you can hold your water, I'd wait for that to drop before purchasing the Sony BDP.this is indeed good news...

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I ordered the Sony today on-line. It was on sale and I didn't want to miss the sale price. But I have 30 days to return it. So I can shop around.

I'll look into the Oppo, but remember that I'm in Canada. That can often affect availability of new models and price. Thanks for the info.

Rich-n-Texas
01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Walked right on by as if I didn't even exist. :incazzato:

GMichael
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Walked right on by as if I didn't even exist. :incazzato:

If you really want someone's attention, you need to whisper.

Your post was too loud.

markw
01-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Walked right on by as if I didn't even exist. :incazzato:One would think you would be used to that by now...

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I was trying to keep this thread on topic and informative. If you want to play, meet me in the Off-topic forum.

bobsticks
01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
One would think you would be used to that by now...

I lol'd...and dispensed the appropriate Greenies...

GMichael
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I was trying to keep this thread on topic and informative. If you want to play, meet me in the Off-topic forum.

Whoa..!..?...

(covering eyes & ears) la la la la la la la la la.......

Rich-n-Texas
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
And that's ME she wants to play with GM, not you. :p

GMichael
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM

I noticed.:eek6: Looks like a changing of the gaurds:mad5: . Have fun.:nono:

pixelthis
01-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Here's where my ignorance really stands out. :)

We have a Toshiba upconverting DVD recorder. We use it for both watching DVDs and playing CDs. But more for playing CDs...we don't watch a lot of DVDs in general.

In the last few days, we've noticed that the sound coming from the player sounds distorted. But not all the time. Everything will sound fine then suddenly the sound will get kind of garbled then it'll smooth out again. It sounds like when you aren't quite on the radio station and you get that fine line of white noise underneath the music.

Anyhow, after a few CDs last night, the bad sound became more frequent so Hubby went to turn the player off and we switched to my iPod. He said that the DVD player was really hot.

Could the heat be affecting the sound?
What would cause the DVD player to heat up this way?
Can this be fixed or do we need to replace it?

I've never liked this player, from the day I bought it. So I'm happy to replace it if I have a reason to do so. We needed the DVD recorder for a one-time use when we changed cable providers and had to save what was on our PVR, but we don't have a use for the recorder option anymore.

If I have to replace this unit, should I switch to Blu-ray?

Can I play regular DVDs on Blu-ray?
Can I play CDs on Blu-ray?
Since we use the player more for audio than for video, would I be better off getting separate CD and DVD/BR players?

Thanks.

BLU players will play CD mostly, but if that is your primary function you need a dedicated
CD players, video disc players are not optimum for CD playback.
As for your current player, its a Toshiba, and that is probably its main problem.
Wouldnt buy a clock radio from these guys.:1:

pixelthis
01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Too bad you don't play well with others.
DOES HAPPY ACRES know your on the loose?
Or did you bribe some shrink to certify you sane?:1:

pixelthis
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I agree with Mark. I too am considering Blu-Ray. Consider this though, where do all of the T.O.T.L. DVD players go when their owners upgrade? Blu-Ray aside, you can now buy a used Oppo DVD/CD/SACD player for a song on Ebay/Audiogon. I'm talkin not even a hundred bucks!

Sure, it won't play Blu-Ray, but it will play EVERYTHING else. It would play CD's much better than your Toshiba, that's for sure. Just an idea if you don't care about Blu-Ray and want to hold out. Otherwise, if you see yourself getting a BR in the near future, sounds like a good time to do it.

These are coming from upgraders to BLU, and there is a reason for that.
If you get something obsolete its no bargain, especially with decreased prices on
OPPO universal players.
Now is the time to go BLU BTW, they are really cheap, very good bargain for what you get.:1:

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
BLU players will play CD mostly, but if that is your primary function you need a dedicated
CD players, video disc players are not optimum for CD playback.

It's all so confusing! So do I consider something higher end like the Oppo unit, or am I still better off with designated BD and CD players?

As for your current player, its a Toshiba, and that is probably its main problem. Wouldnt buy a clock radio from these guys.:1:

I bought it because I needed a DVD recorder for a one-time use and it was cheap. Now I know why. :frown2:

So, if I don't watch many DVDs...would I be better off just getting a new DVD player and putting off the BD player purchase?

Do you think that BD player prices will still come down or that the technology will get better?

If I don't really care whether I have blu-ray or DVD....am I jumping the gun by going blu-ray? Or will a new DVD player be obsolete in the short term and I'll be forced to upgrade in a year anyway because movies will only be released as blu-ray?

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
These are coming from upgraders to BLU, and there is a reason for that.
If you get something obsolete its no bargain, especially with decreased prices on
OPPO universal players.
Now is the time to go BLU BTW, they are really cheap, very good bargain for what you get.:1:

Oops, it looks likes you answered my questions while I was still writing them. :)

Mr Peabody
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
FA, if you have to replace the player I'd recommend a BD player, then you are ready for the future. Besides if you have a HDTV I think you will like what you see and hear.

Did you see my earlier post? If you use a digital connection, optical or coaxial, from the player to the receiver, it won't matter what you get in regards to audio because the decoding of audio will be done by your receiver. What ever player you get will just be feeding the digital signal into the receiver. If wanting good CD playback, in order to hear an improvement you'd have to buy a CD player with better sound than your receiver can reproduce. When using this player, you'd connect via analog outputs, red/white(L/R). It's important that you understand where the decoding takes place so you don't spend money on a good player not to benefit from it. If you buy a better CD player you'd use the analog to allow the decoding to be done by the CD player.

How was the Toshiba connected? By the way, I have one of Toshiba's original DVD players and it still works today. I've had much better luck with Toshiba than I've ever had with Sony. For some reason no matter how bad Sony gets they can't seem to do no wrong. With that being said, Tosh is late to the BD game and I'd go with a different brand until their product with BD has been proven.

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
The DVD player is connected via analog outputs. Should we change to digital outputs when we get the BD player? Here's the specs to our current receiver (http://www.jvc.ca/www/Consumer/products.aspx?f=RX-6030V&d=1#) if it helps. Click on the picture to get the specs.

I had a Sony 5-disk CD player for years. In fact, we might still have it...I'm not sure. Back in the days when we had both DVD and VHS components, I had to replace the Sony CD player with the new DVD player because we didn't have room for all three. I've never had a problem with anything Sony. This is the first Toshiba product I've owned and I haven't been happy with it from day one.

Mr Peabody
01-04-2010, 08:02 PM
By having the Toshiba hooked up via analog you never got 5.1 audio from DVD's. Digital would have been better.

It's hard to tell on paper how something will sound. When you get your new unit, I'd use a digital hook up for movies to be sure. It's worth comparing the analog to the digital to see which is better sounding for music though.

Not meaning to confuse you further, if you get a Blu-ray player that has the multichannel output and built in HD audio decoding, utilizing this multichannel analog hook up would be the best way to go. Providing the BD player had speaker adjustments built in, similar to what your receiver has in the settings menu. Your receiver shows it has the multichannel input. You will be impressed with a BD concert video, not to mention movies with all Lossless soundtracks.

Usually for a decent CD player analog connection is best. With DVD or BD, it depends on which unit has the best DAC's and analog circuits afterward, in short you just have to compare for music sound quality the analog and digital connections to see which you prefer.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2010, 06:22 AM
By having the Toshiba hooked up via analog you never got 5.1 audio from DVD's.

Um, I'm pretty sure we did.

GMichael
01-05-2010, 06:35 AM

If you only had 2 channels going into your receiver, then your receiver may have simulated 5.1 but it was just a simulation. Did you have 6 cables going from the DVD to the receiver or just 2?
In any rate, I'd go with the BR player and use the 6 analog cables for 5.1 or I'd use an HDMI cable.
The 6 analog cables would be better if the DAC in your BR player is better than the DAC in your receiver.
The HDMI cable would be better if the DAC in your receiver is better than the one in the BR player.
Either will sound great, and the BR player will have you enjoying movies and SACD's more.
A dedicated CD player could be an improvement, but you would have to spend more on a better receiver (or separates) to actually notice the improvement.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2010, 07:02 AM

No, not possible. Your receiver may have gone into Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2 which would have allowed some rear speaker content but it would not and could not be 5.1 with out a digital connection. In fact, if the Toshiba problem is in the analog section it may still work for you with a digital connection, just possible, depends on what the issue is. With a digital connection the Toshiba would basically be just a transport, reading the disc and outputting a digital signal to your receiver. You might want to give it a try in order to milk it a little longer.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2010, 07:06 AM
GM, you posted while I was writing mine :) Check FA's link earlier to her receiver. It doesn't have HDMI. Looks like a decent unit from JVC though, has discrete output section.

GMichael
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
GM, you posted while I was writing mine :) Check FA's link earlier to her receiver. It doesn't have HDMI. Looks like a decent unit from JVC though, has discrete output section.

Oops.

FA,

Just change what I wrote to say "digital cable" instead of "HDMI".

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Really? It's not true 5.1? Boy, I really do feel stupid now. It always sounded pretty good to me. Not so much on the Toshiba, but we used to have a Sony DVD player that I always thought had pretty good 5.1 sound. It was also connected with analog cables though.

The Sony BD player arrived today. Even if I can fix the Toshiba player, I'm still going to keep the BD and I'll use the Toshiba in another room. As I said before, I've never liked it and I'm happy for this excuse to replace it.

So, since I can't afford to upgrade the receiver right now...tell me what cables I need to buy to set up the BD player correctly.

GMichael
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Really? It's not true 5.1? Boy, I really do feel stupid now. It always sounded pretty good to me. Not so much on the Toshiba, but we used to have a Sony DVD player that I always thought had pretty good 5.1 sound. It was also connected with analog cables though.

The Sony BD player arrived today. Even if I can fix the Toshiba player, I'm still going to keep the BD and I'll use the Toshiba in another room. As I said before, I've never liked it and I'm happy for this excuse to replace it.

So, since I can't afford to upgrade the receiver right now...tell me what cables I need to buy to set up the BD player correctly.

One of these for sound http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2

A set of these for video. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023502&p_id=2768&seq=1&format=2

Or these if you need more length. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023502&p_id=2769&seq=1&format=2

Surprisingly, you can use the cables you have now until your new cables arrive. One RCA cable (like for audio) can be used for a digital coax cable. It works fine. And the cheap composite cables you probably have for audio and video can be used as component cables for video. (colors won't match. Just be consistent on both ends) I have done this in the past, but the resistance is not the same and would not want to leave it that way. Besides, they are cheap as h.ll.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
The least complex would be as GM stated, run a digital audio connection with a component video connection.

However, if you want the best possible sound you will need six RCA cables. I'm assuming you have a sub. Carefully connect the multichannel output of the Blu-ray to the multichannel input of your receiver. Yes, you have one on the receiver. Which Sony did you buy? Careful, to make sure left to left, center to center etc. The Sony will then be doing the decoding and should have the HD audio decoders built in so you can receive Dolby Tru-HD and DTS-MA when viewing a Blu disc . These will not pass via a coaxial or optical digital connection and you don't have these decoders in your receiver. To further complicate things using the MC analog ins/outs will bypass your receiver's internal processing, meaning, no speaker set up. You'll have to go into the Sony's set up menu and adjust your speaker settings.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably have some questions when its time to actually set this all up.

But now I have another question... my husband works for JVC so we, obviously, buy JVC stuff whenever possible. I didn't think that JVC had BD players so I ordered the Sony. But Hubby told me today that they do have a couple of BD players. So now I have to decide whether to keep the Sony or get the JVC player for a few bucks less.

Do you think that it matters which one I get? The Sony has Wi-Fi capability and the JVC does not. Otherwise, they look pretty similar.

JVC (http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028512&pathId=169&page=3)
Sony (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665791068)

Any opinions? Thanks.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Unless the savings were significant I'd keep the Sony. Much to my surprise neither of these seem to have multichannel analog out. At least on the feature lists I dug up. So you'd have to use an optical or coaxial digital audio connection. It looks like the Sony will show you photos from your computer on the TV via Wyfi. The Wyfi would be handy for firmware updates. This maynot mean anything if your player sits by your modem.

02audionoob
01-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Doesn't sound the least bit stupid to me. The 2-channel program does sound good on a 5.1 receiver.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Doesn't sound the least bit stupid to me. The 2-channel program does sound good on a 5.1 receiver.

Thanks noob. I always thought so.

GMichael
01-06-2010, 06:24 AM

I agree. Before TV started with so many HD channels in 5.1 I often used the receiver to convert 2-channel programs to 5.1. It sounded fine. It wasn't until I was able to get true 5.1 that I noticed a difference.

FA - I think you are really going to enjoy this upgrade.

poppachubby
01-06-2010, 06:43 AM
You're in for a treat FA! For your first flick with true surround I would suggest an action type of movie. Something with explosions, crashes, gunshots, etc. Maybe it's not your cup of tea normally (or maybe it is), but your jaw will be on the floor.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2010, 06:57 AM
You're in for a treat FA! For your first flick with true surround I would suggest an action type of movie. Something with explosions, crashes, gunshots, etc. Maybe it's not your cup of tea normally (or maybe it is), but your jaw will be on the floor.

I was thinking about The Princess Diaries.

;)

GMichael
01-06-2010, 07:01 AM

;)

:frown2: :eek6: :out: :prrr: :mad2: :incazzato:

poppachubby
01-06-2010, 07:28 AM

;) That'll work out fine. Action sequences in that movie are good. The sword fighting should prove awesome. I think that's my favorite thing tio listen to on 5.1, a sword fight. From the unsheathing to the final cut that ends it. Of course, no one loses their head in The Princess Diaries.

The other particular is a well edited gunshot. So much fun, 5.1 is definitely a good reason to have violence in movies.

pixelthis
01-06-2010, 09:58 AM
It's all so confusing! So do I consider something higher end like the Oppo unit, or am I still better off with designated BD and CD players?

I bought it because I needed a DVD recorder for a one-time use and it was cheap. Now I know why. :frown2:

So, if I don't watch many DVDs...would I be better off just getting a new DVD player and putting off the BD player purchase?

Do you think that BD player prices will still come down or that the technology will get better?

If I don't really care whether I have blu-ray or DVD....am I jumping the gun by going blu-ray? Or will a new DVD player be obsolete in the short term and I'll be forced to upgrade in a year anyway because movies will only be released as blu-ray?

Sure BLU players will get cheaper over time.
BUT for a 150 bucks they are still an incredible bargain.
And I have seen cheaper.
DVD will be around for awhile...maybe.
When DVD came out everybody thought laser wouold hang around awhile, it lasted a year.
Took longer but VHS died , although there are still remnants.
What I dont get is if you listen to CD then you need a CD player.
Even a cheap CD player will sound better than a videodisc player(oppo videodisc players being maybe the exception).
ALSO, WHY WASTE MONEY on a DVD player when a Blu is so much better?
OF COURSE I am biased, having around 30 or so Blu titles already.
But I watched a DVD a few days ago , because I couldnt find the BLU to rent,
and was amazed at how lifeless the picture looked.
I guess because even when watching cable I watch mostly HD.
And DVD will never be HD.:1:

L.J.
01-06-2010, 10:50 AM

My first HT was a Panasonic HTIB pro-logic system. Took 2 channel and simulated 5.1. I thought it sounded pretty good until I watched Matrix & Saving Private Ryan in true 5.1 at my in-laws while on vacation. Changed my mind on what I considered to be good instantly. Came home and upgraded my entire system....a couple of times :cornut:

I am very content with my final results. Hope your enjoying your new speakers :)

GMichael
01-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Do you have it set up yet? Reviews please.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Do you have it set up yet? Reviews please.

I haven't even had a chance to open the box! It probably won't get set up until Saturday. We have to sit around and wait for some Service Guys to show up on Saturday, so I'll probably set it up while we're waiting.

You'll be on-line in case I need help. Right?

Oh, I guess I need to go out and buy a Blu Ray disk because I don't own any. And the cables you suggested. Maybe I'll do that at lunchtime.

GMichael
01-07-2010, 07:32 AM
I haven't even had a chance to open the box! It probably won't get set up until Saturday. We have to sit around and wait for some Service Guys to show up on Saturday, so I'll probably set it up while we're waiting.

You'll be on-line in case I need help. Right?

Oh, I guess I need to go out and buy a Blu Ray disk because I don't own any. And the cables you suggested. Maybe I'll do that at lunchtime.

The cables I suggested may cost much more at a local store.

Let me know when you're ready to open your box. I'm be here to help.:thumbsup:

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
The cables I suggested may cost much more at a local store.

Oh, I didn't realize that I could ship to Canada from that site. But I can. And shipping is pretty reasonable too!

I'll price the cables here and then if they are a lot more then I'll order them. Thanks!

GMichael
01-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh, I didn't realize that I could ship to Canada from that site. But I can. And shipping is pretty reasonable too!

I'll price the cables here and then if they are a lot more then I'll order them. Thanks!

Oh? Canada? Oops... I keep forgetting that you are from a 3rd world country.:devil:

(I know I'm gonna burn for this one)

No letters please.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Yikes! I just looked on-line and Best Buy/Future Shop want $20 just for the optical cable. I can order both cables plus S&H for $20 from the links you sent me.

I'll place my order. Thanks for your help!!!

GMichael
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Yikes! I just looked on-line and Best Buy/Future Shop want $20 just for the optical cable. I can order both cables plus S&H for $20 from the links you sent me.

I'll place my order. Thanks for your help!!!

You are welcome, but picking on you is no fun when you don't fight back.:mad5:

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 08:39 AM
You are welcome, but picking on you is no fun when you don't fight back.:mad5:

I know. ;)

GMichael
01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
I know. ;)

I like my women with a little more spunk.:ihih:

GMichael
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Have you checked the lengths you'll need? That company have a variety.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Have you checked the lengths you'll need? That company have a variety.

3' should be enough. I'm assuming the RCA Video cable goes from BD player to TV and Optical cable goes from BD to Receiver. Yes?

GMichael
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
3' should be enough. I'm assuming the RCA Video cable goes from BD player to TV and Optical cable goes from BD to Receiver. Yes?
Yes.....

Although, you could use HDMI from the BR to the TV instead if your TV supports it. That way, you'll only need one instead of two HDMI cables when you upgrade your receiver. (You know that you will someday)

Black - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024003&p_id=3991&seq=1&format=2

White - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024003&p_id=4030&seq=1&format=2

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes.....

Although, you could use HDMI from the BR to the TV instead if your TV supports it. That way, you'll only need one instead of two HDMI cables when you upgrade your receiver. (You know that you will someday)

I can use either to the TV. Which is better?

I'm just wondering whether I should change to a 6' cable from the reciever to the BD. The three foot won't allow me to pull out the reciever and leave the cable in if I need to take the receiver out of the stand for any reason, like adjust speaker wires or something. I just hate having all that extra cable cluttering up the back.

GMichael
01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I can use either to the TV. Which is better?

I'm just wondering whether I should change to a 6' cable from the reciever to the BD. The three foot won't allow me to pull out the reciever and leave the cable in if I need to take the receiver out of the stand for any reason, like adjust speaker wires or something. I just hate having all that extra cable cluttering up the back.

Hey! I posted a reply to this but it's missing.

Short version this time:
I'd go with the HDMI.

Do you need help finding the sizes you want?

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey! I posted a reply to this but it's missing.

Short version this time:
I'd go with the HDMI.

Do you need help finding the sizes you want?

You're really fixated on this size issue aren't you? :sosp:

I'm going to have to call the place to change my order. I'll cancel the RCA cable since I already have an HDMI connecting my DVD player that I can use. And switch to the bigger Optical Cable.

GMichael
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
You're really fixated on this size issue aren't you? :sosp:

I'm going to have to call the place to change my order. I'll cancel the RCA cable since I already have an HDMI connecting my DVD player that I can use. And switch to the bigger Optical Cable.

Just making sure that you are satisfied.

Sorry, I should have asked if you had an HDMI already.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Just making sure that you are satisfied.

Sorry, I should have asked if you had an HDMI already.

No problem. I really appreciate all the help. I was able to cancel my order for the cables. If all I need is the optical then, I think I'll just buy it here. It'll cost a little more but I'll have it for the set-up on Saturday and if I don't like the size, I can trade it in. I just remembered that there's a Tiger Direct up the street from me. They're probably cheaper than BB.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh, and I bought Ice Age on Blu ray today so that I have something to watch.

It was that or Transformers. I know that Transformers is probably better for sound but I'll watch it once, go "WOW", and then never watch it again.

I never tire of watching Ice Age. :)

GMichael
01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Cool. Remember, you can use a std RCA cable for a digital coax cable if your receiver has that (and it should). That way, you won't need any new cables to get started. You could order what you want and wait.

GMichael
01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh, and I bought Ice Age on Blu ray today so that I have something to watch.

It was that or Transformers. I know that Transformers is probably better for sound but I'll watch it once, go "WOW", and then never watch it again.

I never tire of watching Ice Age. :)

I too enjoy Ice Age. The first one? The second was OK but not as good IMO.

Transformers will scare you in true 5.1. Pirates of the Carabian is good as well. Great sound and video.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I too enjoy Ice Age. The first one? The second was OK but not as good IMO.

Transformers will scare you in true 5.1. Pirates of the Carabian is good as well. Great sound and video.

Yes the first Ice Age. I agree that the second wasn't as good. I haven't seen the third one yet, but I've heard it's hilarious!

Of course I will be getting Lost S5 on blu ray. :D

GMichael
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes the first Ice Age. I agree that the second wasn't as good. I haven't seen the third one yet, but I've heard it's hilarious!

Of course I will be getting Lost S5 on blu ray. :D

Did you say that you are going to get lost?

02audionoob
01-07-2010, 11:51 AM
For digital...If you use an ordinary coax cable not specified for digital, use the shielded video kind...like those on a quality set of red, green and blue.

Mr Peabody
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
FA, FYI, and probably TMI, but you will need HDMI for the Blu-ray HD video and no players are allowed to upsample unless via HDMI. The single RCA would have only provided a standard video picture making the Blu-ray player a waste of money.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
So do I need both a coaxial digital cable and an optical digital cable? The manual shows that I need both.

Also the optical cable GM recommended was $5. But I'm looking on www.tigerdirect.ca (note the dot ca and not com) and the optical cables are expensive. Am I missing something or are they really that much more expensive here???

Mr Peabody
01-07-2010, 07:42 PM
No mamm, HDMI to TV, then, either optical OR coaxial audio to receiver. No need for both they will do the same job. I personally like coaxial better.

GMichael
01-08-2010, 06:17 AM
No mamm, HDMI to TV, then, either optical OR coaxial audio to receiver. No need for both they will do the same job. I personally like coaxial better.

I understand that coax is more durable. Optical has a certain cool factor though.

"My system is so advanced that I use fiber optics to transmit the sound from my BR player to my AVR receiver."

Not that that has ever come up in a conversation.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Is one hands down better than the other? Otherwise, I'm just going with whatever is cheaper.

I want to buy the cables today so that I only have to do the set up once. It's a big hassle to have to remove components from the stand to change wires. Since I already have an HDMI cable, I think that all I need is an audio cable and a flash drive for the wifi.

kexodusc
01-08-2010, 06:32 AM
So do I need both a coaxial digital cable and an optical digital cable? The manual shows that I need both.

Also the optical cable GM recommended was $5. But I'm looking on www.tigerdirect.ca (note the dot ca and not com) and the optical cables are expensive. Am I missing something or are they really that much more expensive here???
They don't have a great selection there.

If you're getting both HDMI and an optical cable, I'd recommend:
http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-High-Speed-HDMI/dp/B002N15WW0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262960898&sr=1-5

you can spend more money and possibly get slightly better performance but I bet these do the trick.

kexodusc
01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Since I already have an HDMI cable, I think that all I need is an audio cable and a flash drive for the wifi.
Amazon has some optical cables for $5-$10 that'll work too, in that case...treat yourself to some new music and get free shipping!

GMichael
01-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Is one hands down better than the other? Otherwise, I'm just going with whatever is cheaper.

I want to buy the cables today so that I only have to do the set up once. It's a big hassle to have to remove components from the stand to change wires. Since I already have an HDMI cable, I think that all I need is an audio cable and a flash drive for the wifi.

Not much difference. Maybe a slight edge to the coax.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Cool. Coax is cheaper. I think.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Amazon has some optical cables for $5-$10 that'll work too, in that case...treat yourself to some new music and get free shipping!

I like the way you think! :)

Mr Peabody
01-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I understand that coax is more durable. Optical has a certain cool factor though.

"My system is so advanced that I use fiber optics to transmit the sound from my BR player to my AVR receiver."

Not that that has ever come up in a conversation.

LOL
__________________________________________________ __________________
I wouldn't buy cheap optical. They are plastic and not an accurate conductor of light, it's prone to distortions. Keep in mind with optical the digital is converted to light then back again. Things get worse from there if the cable has to turn or bend.

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2010, 08:05 AM
So it took a little playing around. For some reason if I use a digital cable with my receiver, I also have to have a video cable connected to the reciever for the digital cable to work. But I finally figured it out and I'm up and running in true surround sound.

And you guys are right. It does make a difference! Far out! :):):)

Thanks for your help! I never could have done this without you guys.

Next step...trying to get the Wifi to work. Maybe I'll leave that until tomorrow and just enjoy the BD player for today.

Mr Peabody
01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Look at that tech girl :) Glad to hear you are off and running. How did Ice Age look?

GMichael
01-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Congrats. Glad you are happy with it. But I'm with Mr P. Where's the review?

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2010, 07:54 AM
It turned out that I didn't have a chance to watch more than about 15 minutes of Ice Age...just long enough to be wowed by the picture and sound and make sure it all worked. I haven't even put a regular DVD or CD into the player yet. :(

I also got Lost S5 on Blu ray last night. I'm hoping to have time to watch Ice Age and few Lost episodes this week to really test things out properly.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Mr Peabody
01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
It turned out that I didn't have a chance to watch more than about 15 minutes of Ice Age...just long enough to be wowed by the picture and sound and make sure it all worked. I haven't even put a regular DVD or CD into the player yet. :(

I also got Lost S5 on Blu ray last night. I'm hoping to have time to watch Ice Age and few Lost episodes this week to really test things out properly.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Another satisfied customere :) enjoy