Advice about speaker connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice about speaker connection

dakatabg
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
I use Kenwood KA-128 125W pr channel with Kenwood JL-885 tower speakers.

2 days ago I got another pair of the same Kenwood JL-885 tower speakers.

Here is my question:

On the amplifier there are for 4 speakers with the buttons A + B
Right now I have the speakers hooked up to the A and my questions is what about the new speakers? Should I connect them also to A or connect them to B and have both buttons pressed so I can use the 4 speakers?

The thing is that when I have it to both A + B, when I press B the volume gets down a little so all 4 speakers can work but when I have all 4 just to A the volume doesn't get down!

Any suggestions or advices???

dakatabg :confused5:

Mr Peabody
12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Sounds like the Kenwood amp puts both pairs of speakers in series when a set of speakers is connected to both A & B and A and B is both pushed in. When in series both sets of speakers impedance is summed which will use more power from the amp and give less volume.

When both sets of speakers are connected to "A" the pairs are in parallel which roughly halves the impedance your amp will see. This will give more volume HOWEVER, your amp sees lower impedance which will draw more current and could put the amp in protection or blow it if good protection isn't built in. I can tell you that Kenwood is not high current and you will be at risk running both speakers connected to one set of terminals.

Your best bet is to do something else with the second set of speakers and stick to just one pair connected to the KA-128. Or, set a pair in another room and just use one pair at a time. Alternate A and B depending on where you are listening.

dakatabg
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I just got a Kenwood KM-106 amplifier. Is it going to be the same with it? It is much better than the KA-128! Big improvement!

Mr Peabody
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Same in regards to impedance. The KM is a power amp and the KA is an integrated. What are you using for a preamp with the KM? The KM is a decent amp but was used in Kenwood's rack systems.

dakatabg
01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
i have 2 Kenwood preamplifiers one is KC-106 and the other one is KC-206. Right now i am using the kc-106. The kc-206 is newer but it sounds worse with it so i am using the kc-106 which sounds better. I am thinking of getting the C1 or C2.

Mr Peabody
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Interesting the 206 doesn't sound as good, they both had similar positions. Good to know. The C1 or C2 would be better than the 106 or 206 as they are from Kenwood's Basic line which was better quality stuff than their normal consumer line. It sounds like you may know this though. The C2 is better than the C1. You might want to also consider an Adcom preamp which are crazy cheap used and really good for even the original retail price range. If you can find a M1 or M2 you'd have a better power amp.

dakatabg
01-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I know what you mean by getting another brand preamp but I just want everything to be Kenwood! I've been looking for the C2 preamp for a while but seems like no one wants to sell it! I see C1 very often but if I am going to buy I would wanna get the C2! Thank you for the information Mr Peabody!

Mr Peabody
01-07-2010, 05:28 AM
AR member Thekid has some Basic gear, you might see if he has any he is willing to part with. Even a C1 would be a good improvement over the 106. He may even have a Basic amp he'd be willing to sell. Try a (PM) Private Message and inquire.