Calibration Levels Through the DVD Player's Menu? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calibration Levels Through the DVD Player's Menu?

Lexmark3200
03-28-2004, 12:24 PM
My surround system is calibrated through the RECEIVER, for example, each channel is balanced through the receiver's settings, as well as distances, etc....I read my DVD player's manual this morning and there was a chapter dedicated to setting up the surround system through the actual DVD player----in other words, there is a way to calibrate the speaker system in a surround setup on the DVD player's menu, putting in dB levels for each channel, distances, etc....I have left all these at "0" because I thought I was calibrating through the RECEIVER, not the DVD player....does anyone know if you have to set your system up through the DVD player, or BOTH the player and receiver or if everything is fine the way I have it, with all levels at "0" because my receiver already calibrated and set the levels?

oakley#36
03-28-2004, 12:42 PM
My surround system is calibrated through the RECEIVER, for example, each channel is balanced through the receiver's settings, as well as distances, etc....I read my DVD player's manual this morning and there was a chapter dedicated to setting up the surround system through the actual DVD player----in other words, there is a way to calibrate the speaker system in a surround setup on the DVD player's menu, putting in dB levels for each channel, distances, etc....I have left all these at "0" because I thought I was calibrating through the RECEIVER, not the DVD player....does anyone know if you have to set your system up through the DVD player, or BOTH the player and receiver or if everything is fine the way I have it, with all levels at "0" because my receiver already calibrated and set the levels?
I ALSO HAVE A RECEIVER THAT DOES THIS FOR ME(PIONEER ELITE VSX-55TXI). I HAVE RESEARCHED, AND BEEN TOLD TO USE THE RECEIVER ONLY. THE DVD PLAYER CAN BE USED WITH SACD OR DVD-AUDIO FOR BASS MANAGEMENT(BY ADJUSTING THE SUBWOOFER LEVEL). OTHER THAN MULTI-CHANNEL MUSIC FORMATS, USE THE RECEIVER BY ITSELF. HOPE THAT HELPS! OAKLEY#36

Lexmark3200
03-28-2004, 01:23 PM
I ALSO HAVE A RECEIVER THAT DOES THIS FOR ME(PIONEER ELITE VSX-55TXI). I HAVE RESEARCHED, AND BEEN TOLD TO USE THE RECEIVER ONLY. THE DVD PLAYER CAN BE USED WITH SACD OR DVD-AUDIO FOR BASS MANAGEMENT(BY ADJUSTING THE SUBWOOFER LEVEL). OTHER THAN MULTI-CHANNEL MUSIC FORMATS, USE THE RECEIVER BY ITSELF. HOPE THAT HELPS! OAKLEY#36

Oak,

Thanks....but my DVD player's speaker setup menu that I speak of ALSO has DISTANCE settings as if to set up the surround system in whole----with distances and all; I did this already through the receiver, measuring the distance from my sweet spot to all the speakers. If I follow your advice and use the receiver only, what do I keep these menu settings for the DVD player on, all ZERO, like I have it now?

What is also concerning me is this: when I cycle through the DVD player's speaker setup menu and press TEST, it generates the test tones through the front left and right speakers, but not for the center, sub or surrounds----no test tone comes from those drivers....but when I test the calibration levels on my RECEIVER, the test tones sound just fine from each speaker in the system....why does this happen? Is it because as you say, the DVD player's calibration menu is just there for multichannel music sources?

kelsci
03-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Lex; Just go by your receiver settings. It is possible that your DVD player not only calibrates for SACD and/or DVD-A but may have a D.D. and DTS decoder of its own. The only time you would use any calibration source from a DVD player that has the settings you mentioned is only when you have a complement of wires with RCA plugs plugged into the 5.1analogue outputs of the DVD player and the 5.1 analogue inputs that are on the back of your receiver. Some audio enthusiasts do this.

Lexmark3200
03-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Lex; Just go by your receiver settings. It is possible that your DVD player not only calibrates for SACD and/or DVD-A but may have a D.D. and DTS decoder of its own. The only time you would use any calibration source from a DVD player that has the settings you mentioned is only when you have a complement of wires with RCA plugs plugged into the 5.1analogue outputs of the DVD player and the 5.1 analogue inputs that are on the back of your receiver. Some audio enthusiasts do this.

Kel,

My DVD player does have DTS and DD decoders built in; what should I keep the DVD player's menu settings on then, all "0" as I have now? There are distance settings, dB levels and other numbers to input through the player's menu; I kept all these at zero. Would this let the receiver's calibration to take priority?

kelsci
03-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Lex; Just leave those internal DVD settings just the way they were before which I believe would be zero. It is possible to cause a conflict if they are not on 0. My Zenith 2300 had a built in D.D. decoder. If that decoder is not in ZERO mode, it did effect the analogue and digital outputs if I recall when I thought about this over 2 years ago. Kelsci.

karl k
03-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Kel,

My DVD player does have DTS and DD decoders built in; what should I keep the DVD player's menu settings on then, all "0" as I have now? There are distance settings, dB levels and other numbers to input through the player's menu; I kept all these at zero. Would this let the receiver's calibration to take priority?
The only settings you may want to change from "0" are the output gain settings if your receiver doesn't have seperate input source gain settings. The only benefit in doing this is an easier ability to "normalize" the volume of the DVD player to that of your CD, Sat, Cable, or other sources so you're not having to change the volume settings everytime you change sources. This is only if your receiver can't already do this for you.

oakley#36
03-28-2004, 05:00 PM
The only settings you may want to change from "0" are the output gain settings if your receiver doesn't have seperate input source gain settings. The only benefit in doing this is an easier ability to "normalize" the volume of the DVD player to that of your CD, Sat, Cable, or other sources so you're not having to change the volume settings everytime you change sources. This is only if your receiver can't already do this for you.
Lex
Sorry I wasn't clear before, your dvd player has a default setting for channel levels and distances. Set your receiver to the level and distance, then allow your dvd player to go by its default setting( it should be "0"). Your receiver should be the power plant from which all things are controlled, which is why I'm sure you bought a receiver with these options?

Lexmark3200
03-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Lex; Just leave those internal DVD settings just the way they were before which I believe would be zero. It is possible to cause a conflict if they are not on 0. My Zenith 2300 had a built in D.D. decoder. If that decoder is not in ZERO mode, it did effect the analogue and digital outputs if I recall when I thought about this over 2 years ago. Kelsci.

Kel,

Are you serious that they would cause some kind of conflict, even to DIGITAL signals going to the receiver? What could be affected? And are you sure that we are both talking about DVD players with BUILT IN DD and DTS decoders connected to RECEIVERS that decode DTS and DD?

Lexmark3200
03-28-2004, 07:46 PM

Karl,

My Onkyo receiver has the Intelli Volume control which regulates the input source volumes as you say; these are all set on "+10" for my components plugged into the receiver. I dont think the DVD player has an output volume control....

Lexmark3200
03-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Lex
Sorry I wasn't clear before, your dvd player has a default setting for channel levels and distances. Set your receiver to the level and distance, then allow your dvd player to go by its default setting( it should be "0"). Your receiver should be the power plant from which all things are controlled, which is why I'm sure you bought a receiver with these options?

Oak,

Yes, thats why I did buy a receiver with such options....Im wondering though WHY when I go into the DVD player's setup menu for speaker distances and dB calibrations -- even with the receiver properly calibrated where I want it -- ONLY the front left and right speakers sound through the pink noise test------the subwoofer, center and surrounds DO NOT generate sound when running the "TEST" through the DVD player menu.....when I test the speakers through the RECEIVER, every speaker generates the pink noise test tones just fine....why is this?

karl k
03-28-2004, 08:13 PM
What does your players manual say about that?

oakley#36
03-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Oak,

Yes, thats why I did buy a receiver with such options....Im wondering though WHY when I go into the DVD player's setup menu for speaker distances and dB calibrations -- even with the receiver properly calibrated where I want it -- ONLY the front left and right speakers sound through the pink noise test------the subwoofer, center and surrounds DO NOT generate sound when running the "TEST" through the DVD player menu.....when I test the speakers through the RECEIVER, every speaker generates the pink noise test tones just fine....why is this?
Check dvd player menu for system set-up/speaker set-up. Maybe its default setting is stereo not multi-channel??? If your getting the test tones going thru the onkyo receiver setup but not the dvd player setup its got to be a menu within the dvd player. I'm sure you've already done this but double check the dvd player menu for system setup( # of speakers). And if it gives you a digital output option of Pcm, Digital, or Both/auto pick the Both/auto?? Good Luck!

Lexmark3200
03-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Check dvd player menu for system set-up/speaker set-up. Maybe its default setting is stereo not multi-channel??? If your getting the test tones going thru the onkyo receiver setup but not the dvd player setup its got to be a menu within the dvd player. I'm sure you've already done this but double check the dvd player menu for system setup( # of speakers). And if it gives you a digital output option of Pcm, Digital, or Both/auto pick the Both/auto?? Good Luck!

There is no DEFAULT for the DVD player speaker setup; there is actually a choice to choose two channel or multichannel....when I choose MULTICHANNEL, the screen opens up to show a display of a 5.1 speaker system and you can scroll to the different speakers and set levels and such; hard to explain in writing here. I guess I will just live with what I have and hope its working right; I cant seem to explain what Im talking about here.

kelsci
03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Lex; I understand what you are talking about. Oakly and Karl have brought up a very good point that when you run the test tones of the machine that you arre hearing a right and left test tone which appears to be coming through your receiver when it is set on the normal D.D. and DTS. feed from the DIGITAL OUTPUTs of the player into the DIGITAL INPUTS of your receiver(coax or optical). I would think that the only time you should hear any test tones from that player is when your receiver is set in a mode known as 5.1 channel DIRECT INPUT. Of course you would have six plugs at each end of six wires connected between the 5.1 DIRECT INPUT and the 5.1 analogue outputs of your player.

In answering the question you have to me on THREAD #9 above; on my Zenith 2300. absolutely yes by 99/44/l00% pure.

Lexmark3200
03-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Lex; I understand what you are talking about. Oakly and Karl have brought up a very good point that when you run the test tones of the machine that you arre hearing a right and left test tone which appears to be coming through your receiver when it is set on the normal D.D. and DTS. feed from the DIGITAL OUTPUTs of the player into the DIGITAL INPUTS of your receiver(coax or optical). I would think that the only time you should hear any test tones from that player is when your receiver is set in a mode known as 5.1 channel DIRECT INPUT. Of course you would have six plugs at each end of six wires connected between the 5.1 DIRECT INPUT and the 5.1 analogue outputs of your player.

In answering the question you have to me on THREAD #9 above; on my Zenith 2300. absolutely yes by 99/44/l00% pure.

Kel,

Let me see if I get you right.....you are saying that because my DVD player is connected DIGITALLY to my receiver without the 5.1 direct input cables, I am hearing ONLY the left and right front speaker test tones? But why, exactly? I dont understand that part.....why would ONLY the front left and right speakers sound the test tones when I do the test through the DVD player?

kelsci
03-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Kel,

Let me see if I get you right.....you are saying that because my DVD player is connected DIGITALLY to my receiver without the 5.1 direct input cables, I am hearing ONLY the left and right front speaker test tones? But why, exactly? I dont understand that part.....why would ONLY the front left and right speakers sound the test tones when I do the test through the DVD player?

Lex; I do not know why you are hearing those tones. In my book, you should not be hearing them. The other fellows I would say are wondering why as well. One of them said to check the player's manual. Lex, what is the make and model of the player in question. Perhaps there may be a manual on the manufacturers website that I could look over myself and try to figure it out. Kelsci.

Lexmark3200
03-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Lex; I do not know why you are hearing those tones. In my book, you should not be hearing them. The other fellows I would say are wondering why as well. One of them said to check the player's manual. Lex, what is the make and model of the player in question. Perhaps there may be a manual on the manufacturers website that I could look over myself and try to figure it out. Kelsci.

The player is a Panasonic DVD-RA60

karl k
03-29-2004, 04:00 PM
The player is a Panasonic DVD-RA60
Here's the link to the manuals on all Panasonics including yours...

http://service.us.panasonic.com/operman/findmanual.aspx?cat=DVD

Now, the first thing to check is the VSS or the Virtual Surround Sound. Make sure both SP and HP are off.(they're on the bottom of remote) If on it allows only 2ch output from the player. Make sure that between bitstream and pcm, you choose bitstream on both DD and DTS. In the audio menu, make sure you are in DD 3/2.1ch and not in DD 2ch. That should do it.

A footnote... The test tones will never output to the sub from the DVD player. It's in the design.

If this doesn't do it for you, I would strongly urge you to thoroughly read the manual.(either online or the one you should have)

Lexmark3200
03-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Here's the link to the manuals on all Panasonics including yours...

http://service.us.panasonic.com/operman/findmanual.aspx?cat=DVD

Now, the first thing to check is the VSS or the Virtual Surround Sound. Make sure both SP and HP are off.(they're on the bottom of remote) If on it allows only 2ch output from the player. Make sure that between bitstream and pcm, you choose bitstream on both DD and DTS. In the audio menu, make sure you are in DD 3/2.1ch and not in DD 2ch. That should do it.

A footnote... The test tones will never output to the sub from the DVD player. It's in the design.

If this doesn't do it for you, I would strongly urge you to thoroughly read the manual.(either online or the one you should have)

Karl,

Thank you much for your help....the Virtual Surround modes are all off; this I knew....BITSTREAM IS selected for both DD and DTS....that checks out. When I run DTS and DD DVD's, the onscreen display does in fact read 3/2.1.....so something must be working right....PLUS, I DO get 5.1 surround sound when playing DVDs....that WASNT the problem; I was just wondering why I wasnt getting test tones through some of my speakers when I ran pink noise tests from the DVD PLAYER....the RECEIVER plays the calibration test tones JUST FINE....but the DVD player wasnt; are you sure I am running my system right with EVERYTHING on ZERO on the DVD player's speaker setup menu?

karl k
03-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Yes... based on what I read of your manual. According to the manual, you should be able to toggle from front L to front R to surround R and then surround L but NO sub output will be present on the test tones. Aside from those things mentioned in my previous post, the only things I can think of are making sure the surrounds are indeed turned on by choosing surround l/r "on" and choosing a speaker size for the surrounds. If you are getting sound from all speakers when you play a DVD disc, then that is a non issue. If not, then I must also add that you will need an optical or digital coax from digital out on the player to digital in on the receiver.

In any case, this doesn't negate the fact that test tones from the player don't matter since the settings are all "0" and your adjustments should be from the receiver anyway.

Happy Days

Lexmark3200
03-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes... based on what I read of your manual. According to the manual, you should be able to toggle from front L to front R to surround R and then surround L but NO sub output will be present on the test tones. Aside from those things mentioned in my previous post, the only things I can think of are making sure the surrounds are indeed turned on by choosing surround l/r "on" and choosing a speaker size for the surrounds. If you are getting sound from all speakers when you play a DVD disc, then that is a non issue. If not, then I must also add that you will need an optical or digital coax from digital out on the player to digital in on the receiver.

In any case, this doesn't negate the fact that test tones from the player don't matter since the settings are all "0" and your adjustments should be from the receiver anyway.

Happy Days

Yes Karl, I get sound from all speakers when playing DVD discs; but I was just unsure if there was calibration necessary through the DVD PLAYER even though my RECEIVER's calibration settings were already made....why is there a menu even there then on the DVD player if a receiver is going to do the settings?

karl k
03-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Yes Karl, I get sound from all speakers when playing DVD discs; but I was just unsure if there was calibration necessary through the DVD PLAYER even though my RECEIVER's calibration settings were already made....why is there a menu even there then on the DVD player if a receiver is going to do the settings?
Not everyone has or desires to have an HT receiver that is capable of making the adjustment you refer to. By allowing the adjustments on the player, this gives the user the ability to use a receiver(as you and I do) OR to connect stand alone amps to power the system. With us, we connect to the receiver thru an optical or coax cable to the receiver and "download" the coded "bitstream" to the receiver for decoding. Others might prefer a simpler setup where the player is the only thing in the HT and thru the 6 analog outputs will download the decoded signal directly to the amps. In this case(and maybe others) the adjustments are useful within the players menu. In our case, they're just dead weight. :)

Lexmark3200
03-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Not everyone has or desires to have an HT receiver that is capable of making the adjustment you refer to. By allowing the adjustments on the player, this gives the user the ability to use a receiver(as you and I do) OR to connect stand alone amps to power the system. With us, we connect to the receiver thru an optical or coax cable to the receiver and "download" the coded "bitstream" to the receiver for decoding. Others might prefer a simpler setup where the player is the only thing in the HT and thru the 6 analog outputs will download the decoded signal directly to the amps. In this case(and maybe others) the adjustments are useful within the players menu. In our case, they're just dead weight. :)

Then does it matter at all what the settings on the DVD player's speaker setup menu read? Right now I have them all at "0"....Kelsci suggested that changing these numbers MAY IN FACT change the sound going into the receiver somehow....true?

karl k
03-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Then does it matter at all what the settings on the DVD player's speaker setup menu read? Right now I have them all at "0"....Kelsci suggested that changing these numbers MAY IN FACT change the sound going into the receiver somehow....true?
It might be like running 2 seperate equalizers in series and trying to get the bas or treble boosted on both OR boosting treble on one and cutting it on the other. Also like trying to run 2 amps in series and decreasing volume on first then boosting volume on second. Since Panasonic recommends that default be "0" on their player, then you should stay with that.