Can you name this speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you name this speaker?

jrhymeammo
12-30-2009, 04:29 PM

I've never seen these and saw them on Craigslist for $75.
Any idea?

They have Vandersteen types of looks, but the thickness of planar...

JRA

Mr Peabody
12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd just name it Bill

dakatabg
12-30-2009, 05:03 PM
email or call the seller and ask him.

harley .guy07
12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I would agree and call the person selling them. They could be some rent to own crap or they might be some rare speaker that might be worth the money. Only asking the seller and personally looking at them well tell.

jrhymeammo
12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Actually, the seller had said he doesn't know anything about the pair.
I figured some of us here many know more than the seller.

cjpremierfour
12-30-2009, 06:47 PM
That's a old DCM timeframe series. It could be one of several models. It will be TF-(XXX) but it's really hard to tell the model numbers unless you look at the back, all TF series looked just alike!

blackraven
12-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Yep, its an old DCM Time Frame speaker. They were pretty good in their time, but the Time Windows were their best speakers. For $75 I would consider giving them a look.

jrhymeammo
12-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Ah!!!!
1 point for Mr. BR. and +0.5 to Mr. P for being hilarious.

How cool are those speakers? The last thing I need is another pair of obscene gear in my living room. Could they be TF-600? If so they consist of (2) 6.5" and (3) 3/4" tweets.

After a quick search they seem to be everywhere... will see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks guys,
JRA

jrhymeammo
12-30-2009, 07:28 PM
That's a old DCM timeframe series. It could be one of several models. It will be TF-(XXX) but it's really hard to tell the model numbers unless you look at the back, all TF series looked just alike!

And of course you get the the Greenie point.
Thanks mate.

Any experience with these transmission speakers?

cjpremierfour
12-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a pair of the DCM TF 350's. They are a 2 way with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter. I purchased these @ 3 years ago and have been very happy with their sound. They use a transmission line for low bass output, for a 6.5" woofer it's really good. I would guess flat to @ 40 to 45Hz! They use a vifa tweeter on the top end, nothing special but still a quality driver. The crossover wasn't too bad looking, they could have done worse. It's just below something that you would find in a old JBL L series. The cabinet is made very well using one front to back brace. The cabinet is dead quiet because of it's special shape and spray on acoustical coating I would think. The transmission line is made up of a long port that uses acoustic stuffing for resistance along the driver's back wave path.

The bad news is that they will likely need surrounds on the woofers. The speakers are 20 plus years old and this will have to be done. I blew my surrounds off 2 years ago playing some Christmas Music.

1. More bad news is that you have to remove the backs, each speaker has about 20 screws.
2. You have to remove the tops using a wrench with @ 1/2 inch of space to turn the 2 large screws. It takes about 10 minutes.
3.. You will have to remove the grill cloth, there is about 75 to100 staples holding the grill material on. ( top, bottom and back ) You will have to be really careful not to tear the grill cloth if you plan on reusing it. That is almost impossible!
4. There is some kind of "black acoustic coating" on the speaker, this coating falls off in your hands and is like a soft tar. DO NOT take off the grill material in your house.

If the DCM is one of the higher models, I would think that your time and possible foam surround cost would be justified. I'm not sure that I would go after a FT350 or below again. I would like a TF 500, 700 or 1000 if possible.

Retail cost between 1986 and 1990 of TF series per Orion Blue Book:
TF 250 was $349, uses a 6.5 " woofer
TF 275 was $399
TF 350 was $499 uses a 6.5" woofer
TF 500 was $649 uses a 6.5" woofer
TF 700 was $849 uses a 8" woofer
TF 1000 was $1099 uses a 8" woofer
TF 2000 was $1999 uses 2-8", 2-6.5" and a 1"tweeter ( 3 way)

Mr Peabody
12-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I haven't heard those but transmission line done right rocks.

thekid
12-31-2009, 02:37 AM
CJ and Blackraven nailed it. CJ also gives you some pretty good advice. Many people in the know on the DCM TF series like the 350 level but most will tell you to try and stick at 600 or above. The 600 actually has 2 6.5 woofers and 3 tweeters. You can use this link to look up some of the specs on the various models.

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/manuals/manuals.htm

I have/had 4 pairs TF 350(2), TF 500, TF 600 as well as a pair of Time Windows. The TF 600's and the Time Windows are in use every day and are among the speakers I will never sell. And as you can see from the avata on the left I have a lot of speakers......

Anything model above the 250 line will be worth your $75 and if it is 600 or higher it would be a steal. If you are interested in them just know that they do not have a grill that you can pull off to check the drivers. Instead DCM used what is often called a "grill sock" which can only be removed by taking the end caps off. All of the TF's I have encountered used a rubber surround but they are capable of "foam rot". If you bring a flashlight you should be able to shine it in and get some idea of the woofer condition. I would test them carefully because most models used a Vifa tweeter which in some models was easy to fry if abused so you want to test each speaker for working tweeters, The 350 had an issue with a low bass hum/rattle (the causes I won't go into but it is an easy fix) If this was a pair of 350's I would give it some low bass to test the woofer.

Despite the issues I mentioned above the TF series is an amzing group of speakers that do image very well and do mids and highs very well. The bass does not go too low but with the transmission line set-up will surprise you coming from a woofer or woofers that size. I will tell you that if you like head banging music played at loud volumes you should probably walk away. Classical, Accoustic, Light rock, Blues and Jazz and moderarte volumes are where these speakers make their living.

Good luck and let us know if you get them.

NOT2OLD2ROCK&ROLL
02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi Guy,

Just picked up a pair of TF600's and want to know how to remove the grillcloths. Looks like you might have the scoop.
Help?

Chris

thekid
02-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Guy,

Just picked up a pair of TF600's and want to know how to remove the grillcloths. Looks like you might have the scoop.
Help?

Chris

Chris

Welcome to AR!
Congratulations on your pick-up of the 600's would love to see you post some pics of them.I am listening to a pair of mine now. If all the drivers are in good shape you will be very happy with the sound.

Not sure why you are trying to remove the "grill sock" because if you don't need to I would avoid it. If it is just to check on the drivers this can often be done by using a flashlighlight up real close to the grill cloth where the the drivers are sitting.

In any case to remove them you need to remove the end caps. Depending on the version of the 600 you have, the bottom end cap may have a bolt that you need to remove first. DCM used a type of wood putty on the end caps so I first would recommend getting a putty knife and very gently use it to loosen up the end caps by very carefully sliding the putty knife between the end cap and the grill sock. Patience is required so that you do not damage the grill sock. After they have loosened up, take a rubber mallet and pound up to remove the end caps. If you do not have a rubber mallett use a regular hammer and a piece of scrap wood. Place the scrap wood under the end cap lip and using the hammer pound up on the scrap like it was a chisel. Again be careful not to damage the grill cloth. Once the end caps are off (depending on the version you may have to remove a wood backing plate as well) you just roll the grill sock up from the bottom.

If you need to replace the grill sock you will have to fabricate your own as the current owners of DCM do not service these products. You could order grill cloth from Parts Express.

Hope that helps.
If you need an owners manual use the link attached to my other post in this thread.

NOT2OLD2ROCK&ROLL
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Kid!
Thanks for the answer on grill sock removal. Yeah, I just wanted to inspect the drivers, but they sound OK so I'll leave well enough alone at this point. Just thought there might be a simple removal process.....
I've been an ardent enthusiast of audio and video for a long time. Listened to the Time Windows a lot in their day as a buddy of mine owned a pair in the 80's. I had always thought about picking up a pair for a den set-up or something but have long ago forgotten about DCMs. I was picking up a free TV off craiglist yesterday and when I arrived, spotted the Time Frames next to the woman's entertainment center. I remarked, "Hey, are those some old time frames?" She said that she had no idea but thought they were speakers, though she hadn't hooked them up for a few years. I immediately dropped to the floor to inspect the back and found them to indeed be TF-600's of unknown vintage. She then asked if I would take them for her since she had no use for them. I "reluctantly" agreed and immediately took them to the truck before she might change her mind.
I have only hooked them up to my Living Room video setup thus far, having assumed LR duties for the JMLabs Sib/Sub with a Thiel SCS center driven by a Denon receiver. They sound cool on both surround and stereo but haven't really given them a shakedown with good source components yet.
Anyway, I attached a snapshot for your review. They are in excellent shape and I doubt they have seen much abuse. I'd like to hear them hooked up to the big VTL's in a straight 2 channel but haven't done it yet. I also have an old Acurus 200x3 that I hooked up to a pair of Cerwin Vegas I got from craiglist (free) a month ago. I refoam the woofers on the CV3000's and they sound pretty cool too, in a Cerwin Vega robust, forward, bright kinda way.
But thanks again for your advice and counsel and would love to hear the story of your DCM's

thekid
02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
N2O2RR

Those look great! I would not mess with the grills at all.
I am probably the resident DCM fan around here and since my original post here I have picked up a second pair of 600's off of CL for $30 but your free has me beat.......

As I mentioned earlier I have two pairs of 600's that I use as my HT set-up along with a CX-17 for the center channel.

Enjoy yours but be careful not to play them too loud, the tweeters can be a bit fragile and if these has been sitting for awhile you might need to ease them back into everyday use.

NOT2OLD2ROCK&ROLL
02-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey Kid,
Yeah, I think they're pretty cool so far. I notice you have an old kenwood amp and pre. Is the amp the one that has the two gain knobs and power meters above them? If so, I used to own one of those along with the C2 and T2 (not as nice as your 880 for sure). It was a really cool amp and can't remember why or even how that amp left me. And Dynaco speakers! You don't have an old dynaco tube amp laying around by any chance?

thekid
02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey Kid,
Yeah, I think they're pretty cool so far. I notice you have an old kenwood amp and pre. Is the amp the one that has the two gain knobs and power meters above them? If so, I used to own one of those along with the C2 and T2 (not as nice as your 880 for sure). It was a really cool amp and can't remember why or even how that amp left me. And Dynaco speakers! You don't have an old dynaco tube amp laying around by any chance?

Yes. It is a Basic M1D. I would have loved to have seen your T2. I know they exist but I have never seen one. As of yet I do not have any Dynaco gear other than the speakers. The Kenwood gear and DCM speakers are among the more "modern" pieces I own. I lean more to vintage gear most of which I have posted up on other threads here.

dweb
04-11-2010, 05:00 PM
The pic looks like one of my TF 700s, but as someone mentioned, the TF DCMs mostly had a similar look in the 80s-early 90s. I got mine about 21 years ago (or more??) and they still perform like day 1. I have been through lots of moves, stereo components, etc...but the DCMs have maintained well. If they are in good working condition, I dont think you will be disappointed especially at that price. I just joined this forum since a good friend re-ignited my interest in things audiophile recently (he is buying new components, speakers, etc.). Does anyone know a source for getting the performance specs on old equipment (like my TF 700s)? I saw what they had on the (Mitek) website, but really wanted to get more detail if possible. After all this time has passed, I lost the paperwork I had originally. Thanks..David