Problem with B&W speaker, Please Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with B&W speaker, Please Help!

nabil98
03-28-2004, 11:11 AM
I have a pair of b&w 602 s2 speakers (3 years old) , connected to a yamaha 595a reciever, the sound from the left channel suddenly became weak and muffled, I checked all the cables, and connections, all seem to be ok, I even connected the right speaker to the L speaker out connection to the reciever and it seems to be ok. Can this be a defect in my speaker, the speakers are hardly used. Please help and suggest. Thanks.

RGA
03-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Well since they're 3 years old they should still be under warranty. Phone your dealer and tell him what's wrong.

If you flip both speakers and you're sure it's the speaker then you'll have to bring it to your dealer. There are many things it could be from something simple like a dead cap or an internal connector that has come loose.

Geoffcin
03-28-2004, 03:04 PM
I have a pair of b&w 602 s2 speakers (3 years old) , connected to a yamaha 595a reciever, the sound from the left channel suddenly became weak and muffled, I checked all the cables, and connections, all seem to be ok, I even connected the right speaker to the L speaker out connection to the reciever and it seems to be ok. Can this be a defect in my speaker, the speakers are hardly used. Please help and suggest. Thanks.

Did you connect the right speaker to the left channel on the receiver, or to the left speaker wire that was connected to your left speaker?

nabil98
03-29-2004, 05:39 AM
Thanks for all of your advice. I have tried all the possible combination and the problem still persists, strangely enought, the reciever turnes off once the volume goes beyond the middle, this never happened in the past. Is it common for speakers to get such faults.

Woochifer
03-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Something similar happened to a pair of speakers that I bought several years ago. Turned out that there was a loose solder connection at the crossover. The shop resoldered it, and it was fine afterwards. Your speaker uses biwire connectors, so make sure that the jumpers are secured and that you don't have any wiring touching across the terminals.

If your receiver's never gone into the protection mode before, then something might be amiss with the wiring (wires touching across the terminals can cause a short) or something with the speaker's causing a short. I would have the speakers checked out first, and then see if the receiver's still going down.