Help with Oppo BDP-83 set up please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Oppo BDP-83 set up please

Jim Clark
12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
OK, having a brain cramp here and think I have it right but it never hurts to check.

Equipment:
BDP-83
Arcam AVP 700 pre/pro

Oppo connected to the Arcam via 5.1 analog cables to the DVD-A in. Through the Arcam set up menu, the subwoofer has been boosted by 10 DB. Arcam's manual claims it's important to do this for bass on DVD-A's. It's just not clear if that's due to something inherent in DVD-A's or the DVD-A input on the Arcam.

There are speaker settings for the Oppo but I'm assuming that the size, distance, and sound levels as set on the Arcam are the ones being used.

Does this sound correct or do I have something screwed up?

Many thanks,
jc

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
OK, having a brain cramp here and think I have it right but it never hurts to check.

Equipment:
BDP-83
Arcam AVP 700 pre/pro

Oppo connected to the Arcam via 5.1 analog cables to the DVD-A in. Through the Arcam set up menu, the subwoofer has been boosted by 10 DB. Arcam's manual claims it's important to do this for bass on DVD-A's. It's just not clear if that's due to something inherent in DVD-A's or the DVD-A input on the Arcam.

There are speaker settings for the Oppo but I'm assuming that the size, distance, and sound levels as set on the Arcam are the ones being used.

Does this sound correct or do I have something screwed up?

Many thanks,
jc

It sounds right to me. If you just leave the setup tools (distance, speaker size and levels) at their default position, the Arcam setting will be the ones heard.

The 10db bass boost is going to be an issue with SACD playback, as it does not mandate a bass boost to its signals. I hope it is defeatable if necessary. As far as I can gather, the boost will be good for Dts, DVD-A, but not DD, SACD, or PCM.

Jim Clark
12-28-2009, 03:35 PM
It sounds right to me. If you just leave the setup tools (distance, speaker size and levels) at their default position, the Arcam setting will be the ones heard.

The 10db bass boost is going to be an issue with SACD playback, as it does not mandate a bass boost to its signals. I hope it is defeatable if necessary. As far as I can gather, the boost will be good for Dts, DVD-A, but not DD, SACD, or PCM.

Thanks for the reply, as always.

I think it's probably correct too! However here's what Oppo says in the manual that has me baffled:

Manual page 61: "Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings."

but then it says on page 63: "Speaker distance compensation is not required if the A/V receiver has the capability to adjust channel delay and compensate for speaker distance differences. However, if your receiver does not have such functions (most receivers do not offer these functions for their multi-channel analog input), you may adjust them through the player. Speaker distance delay is only applied if the player is decoding multi-channel audio. If you use bitstream audio output to your A/V receiver, the bitstream audio is not adjusted for speaker distance delay.

Makes my head swim...I guess to be sure I need to call Arcam and ask them if the speaker settings are applied to the DVD-A analog inputs. I guess I could also get a blu-ray copy of Avia or some other calibration disc and check it with my SPL meter. That might the be smartest route to take.

This stuff didn't used to be so complicated!

jc

12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, as always.

I think it's probably correct too! However here's what Oppo says in the manual that has me baffled:

Manual page 61: "Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings."

Translation-Speaker configuration does not apply to the HDMI output.

but then it says on page 63: "Speaker distance compensation is not required if the A/V receiver has the capability to adjust channel delay and compensate for speaker distance differences. However, if your receiver does not have such functions (most receivers do not offer these functions for their multi-channel analog input), you may adjust them through the player. Speaker distance delay is only applied if the player is decoding multi-channel audio. If you use bitstream audio output to your A/V receiver, the bitstream audio is not adjusted for speaker distance delay.

Translation-Speaker distance compensation does not apply to the HDMI output.

Makes my head swim...I guess to be sure I need to call Arcam and ask them if the speaker settings are applied to the DVD-A analog inputs. I guess I could also get a blu-ray copy of Avia or some other calibration disc and check it with my SPL meter. That might the be smartest route to take.

This stuff didn't used to be so complicated!

jc

It is not that things have gotten more complicated, it is peoples writing skills are getting worse.

Jim Clark
12-29-2009, 05:37 AM
It is not that things have gotten more complicated, it is peoples writing skills are getting worse.

I think as I get older my reading comprehension may also be in decline. Thank you Terrence.

Regards,
jc

Mr Peabody
12-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Jim, when you use the analog out you MUST adjust the speaker settings inside the Oppo. When using the analog outs the decoding is done inside the unit. The multichannel input bypasses the Arcam's processing.

Does the AVR-700 have HDMI? I don't think it does so you'd want to use the analog input for everything from the Oppo. The Oppo will deliver the HD audio from Blu-ray and SACD. The coaxial or optical audio inputs will not carry Tru-HD or DTS-MA.

Jim Clark
12-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Jim, when you use the analog out you MUST adjust the speaker settings inside the Oppo. When using the analog outs the decoding is done inside the unit. The multichannel input bypasses the Arcam's processing.

Does the AVR-700 have HDMI? I don't think it does so you'd want to use the analog input for everything from the Oppo. The Oppo will deliver the HD audio from Blu-ray and SACD. The coaxial or optical audio inputs will not carry Tru-HD or DTS-MA.

That seems to be the same feedback I'm getting from the folks at Arcam. Too bad the Oppo doesn't generate test tones so that I can calibrate the speakers without grabbing a separate set up disk. I'm also not wild about the fact that I can't set delays to each speaker independently only in pairs.

On the other hand, I haven't been too impressed with the SQ of this thing, the bass seemed lacking. Guess I know why now : )

One final question - do you think I can still use my old Avia DVD set up disc for the audio or would there be some reason to need a blu-ray version.

Regards,
jc

Mr Peabody
12-29-2009, 07:27 AM
The old Avia should be fine for audio. The only thing it may not address is that 10dB sub out issue. If there's a test tone for sub though you can easily compensate for yourself using the SPL meter. I thought that the 10dB issue was addressed by all the manufacturers though, apparently not all.

12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
The old Avia should be fine for audio. The only thing it may not address is that 10dB sub out issue. If there's a test tone for sub though you can easily compensate for yourself using the SPL meter. I thought that the 10dB issue was addressed by all the manufacturers though, apparently not all.

I think the rub with the 10db issue is manufacturer to manufacturer issue, with some getting it right, and others.....well....just not showing a level of competency on the issue.

jvc
12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
The reason for the 10db hike on the sub settings is because most receivers/amps don't offer bass management when using the multi-channel analog connections, so the 10db will add some bass.

Mr Peabody is right. You must use the distance and level settings in the player, because when using the multi-channel analog connections, the player is doing the processing. Since there's no test tones, I'd just use the same settings that's in the receiver/amp, if you're happy with those.

Jim Clark
12-31-2009, 08:03 AM
The reason for the 10db hike on the sub settings is because most receivers/amps don't offer bass management when using the multi-channel analog connections, so the 10db will add some bass.

Mr Peabody is right. You must use the distance and level settings in the player, because when using the multi-channel analog connections, the player is doing the processing. Since there's no test tones, I'd just use the same settings that's in the receiver/amp, if you're happy with those.

Yeah, I've basically got it figured out that the preamp is simply a volume control at this point.

I had to set the level with an SPL meter and even then it wasn't as ideal as it should be. The oppo requires that the fronts/Surrounds/Rears be set up in pairs. Not a problem in an perfect environment but I can't have the only non-perfect room around. Also I can't set the distance for the sub any further than the front speakers even though it's in a corner 2 feet beyond the front speakers. No huge deal but IMO an oversight that I hope Oppo corrects in a future firmware update.

Thanks to all for the pointers.

jc