Anyone have the track listing for maf's Best of the 80s comp? (ca. 2002?) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the track listing for maf's Best of the 80s comp? (ca. 2002?)

Rae
12-26-2009, 06:46 PM
It's been getting a lot of play here lately because I only have a cassette player in the car (which is itself a product of the 80s, so it feels especially appropriate). It was pretty much glued in the tape deck this week when I realized that it had that seasonal favorite "Fairytale of New York" on it. I can pick out most of the artists but I'd still appreciate a complete list.

~Rae

Davey
12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
maf's was one of the best of the 80s. Don't know how many times that cassette provided the soundtrack for my drive down the boulevard.

'Cos if I had some time
I'd use it this time
Escape to something beautiful
'Cos underneath the steel and rust and oil and ****
There's chrome, just shining chrome.....

Sorry, got me some Mirror Pond Pale Ale fueled Catherine Wheel flashbacks. But just re-upped it, so long live comp-4-trade ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comp4trade.htm#maf_more .. though he apparently had multiple Pogues. Think I got yours too.

A pocket knife for long nights.. and a sleepy little dreamer

Rae
12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Hmm... that's not the one I have. It starts with Flat Duo Jets - "Wild Blue Yonder" on the A side and ends with the Cowboy Junkies on the reverse.

~Rae

Davey
12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Hmm... that's not the one I have. It starts with Flat Duo Jets - "Wild Blue Yonder" on the A side and ends with the Cowboy Junkies on the reverse.

~Rae

Oh, sorry, he had a few versions. I think that's the Screaming Blue Messiahs it opens with. He just changed some of the songs.

Rae
12-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Screaming Blue Messiahs, you're right. Sorry. Like I said, I need the track listing!

~Rae

Stone
12-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Side 1

Screaming Blue Messiahs - Wild Blue Yonder
Gang of Four - Outside the Trains Don't Run On Time
Au Pairs - It's Obvious
The Feelies - The Boy With Perpetual Nervousness
The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
Billy Bragg - The Warmest Room
The Jam - That's Entertainment
Aztec Camera - Oblivious
The La's - Doledrum
Violent Femmes - I Held Her In My Arms
The Blasters - So Long Baby Goodbye
The Cramps - Garbageman
Jason & The Scorchers - Shop It Around
Cowboy Junkies - Mining For Gold
Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel

Side 2

Joy Division - Atmosphere
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hybrid
Echo & The Bunnymen - Turquoise Days
The Sound - I Can't Escape Myself
Psychedelic Furs - We Love You
The B-52's - Dance This Mess Around
XTC - Making Plans For Nigel
English Beat - Tears of a Clown
The Clash - Pressure Drop
Stiff Little Fingers - Roots Radicals Rockers & Reggae
Camper Van Beethoven - All Her Favorite Fruit
The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
The Pogues - I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday

Ex Lion Tamer
12-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Geez, there hasn't been this much discussion about something I did since I smashed my SUV into a fire hydrant and was caught cheating on my hot sedish wife with 14 or 15 of the finest skanks ... errrr barmaids in the state of Nevada.

Props to Mr Stone for finding that track list - God knows I wouldn't have come up with it. Davey's was the CD version - and even that would have been a stretch for me.

Now, who's got the 8-track version?

Stone
12-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Now, who's got the 8-track version?

I don't but I do have the tracklist of the 7" "Best of the 80s" box set you had pressed:

Disc 1

A1 Starship - We Built This City (Canadian radio edit)
B1 Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night (from Live at Red Rocks bootleg)
B2 Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling (demo)

Disc 2

A1 Bob Seger - Like a Rock
B1 Phil Collins - Sussudio (f<a></a>uck-you-other-members-of-Genesis dance club version)

Disc 3

A1 Styx - Mr. Roboto (super Robotic edit)
B1 Chicago - You're the Inspiration
B2 Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You (man/boy version feat. Rick Astley)

Rae
12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Yes!! Thanks, Stone.

That Lionel Richie demo is especially haunting. I heard he was listening to a lot of Suicide at the time, a big influence on the stripped-down, hypnotic arrangement.

~Rae

Jim Clark
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey Rae!

Dood, I've got all of the 80's comps and the tracklists. Glad I didn't have to do all the typing though. There's some mighty fine toons in that crop of comps.

jc

Swish
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't but I do have the tracklist of the 7" "Best of the 80s" box set you had pressed:

Disc 1

A1 Starship - We Built This City (Canadian radio edit)
B1 Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night (from Live at Red Rocks bootleg)
B2 Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling (demo)

Disc 2

A1 Bob Seger - Like a Rock
B1 Phil Collins - Sussudio (f<a></a>uck-you-other-members-of-Genesis dance club version)

Disc 3

A1 Styx - Mr. Roboto (super Robotic edit)
B1 Chicago - You're the Inspiration
B2 Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You (man/boy version feat. Rick Astley)

All I need is to see the title of a totally s<a>hitty song and the tune stays in my head for days. Arggggh!

Stone
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM
All I need is to see the title of a totally s<a>hitty song and the tune stays in my head for days. Arggggh!

Oh, sorry about that.

On a side note, Mark had wanted Disc 2 to have three tracks like the others, but his Japanese audiophile pressing of Europe's The Final Countdown had a scratch on it.