MP3 device restart the PC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MP3 device restart the PC

sachs
12-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I got a small MP3 player with the purpose to easilly arrange own music for my office. Unfortunately at taking it off, previous all mesaures of security, it re starts the PC. I am on the way to replace it for a "better" one, but I would like to know if there is still this frustrating possibility and the way to fix it. Many thanks and greetings

recoveryone
12-26-2009, 06:44 PM
I got a small MP3 player with the purpose to easilly arrange own music for my office. Unfortunately at taking it off, previous all mesaures of security, it re starts the PC. I am on the way to replace it for a "better" one, but I would like to know if there is still this frustrating possibility and the way to fix it. Many thanks and greetings

Your post is a bit confusing, could you add the error msg if any when it reboots and your comp specs (CPU, RAM, MEM, OS) with the info on the MP3 player brand and software used to d/l music with.

sachs
12-27-2009, 12:39 PM
No message at all, just re start the PC at unplugging the MP3 after charging it with music. Sorry for my confuse style... Many thanks and greetings. MY PC is custom made 2GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual Cuore 2200, 7200, XP Pro Pack 3. Functioning pretty well, and very fast. Weekly cares. A square. JK defrag, etc. Nobody else uses it. I use that USB port frequently for my camera and portable recorder, without troubles; I think the problem is the MP3 device.

02audionoob
12-27-2009, 12:52 PM
This seems like a problem with the driver software.

sachs
12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry what driver? Many thanks.

02audionoob
12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry what driver? Many thanks.

The device manufacturer provides software that allows it to function in Windows. This can be on an installation disk, available by download, or provided in Windows. When you insert or remove a device from a USB port, the operating system reacts. If your software is flawed you could get the wrong reaction.

When problems start with a peripheral device, the usual first thing to try is downloading/installing updated software. Sometimes, the problem is in the coded instructions permanently stored on the device. This information is known as the firmware and updates for it are often available and necessary.

The trouble might be the USB driver rather than the MP3 driver. Sometimes uninstalling these devices in Windows Device Manager and letting them re-install next time you start Windows helps.

sachs
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Many thanks. THis forum, unfortunately doesn't send allerts of answers. Very inconvenient indeed. Greetings

02audionoob
01-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Many thanks. THis forum, unfortunately doesn't send allerts of answers. Very inconvenient indeed. Greetings

To receive alerts, you can "subscribe" to the thread.

sachs
01-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Many thanks. Sorry for my "stupidity". Happy New Year everybody.

sachs
01-02-2010, 05:40 AM
[QUOTE=02audionoob]The device manufacturer provides software that allows it to function in Windows. This can be on an installation disk, available by download, or provided in Windows. When you insert or remove a device from a USB port, the operating system reacts. If your software is flawed you could get the wrong reaction.
I am a little affraid to do that very simple movement because that precise USB (from 6 that are functioning abolutely well [printer; web camera, small keyboard lamp, etc]), I fell is also OK. Sincerely, at inspecting the very nice and small device that was given ny my son I think it's very "common" (for say the least). I will go for the money (with the ticket) and will buy, in a better store, a "·brand" one as Microlab or Fujitec (Sony is extremely expensive). I will test it; if the PC restart again, I will straighlty quit the "MP3 field"... Give me, please, your opinion,. Sorry again. Greetings.

02audionoob
01-02-2010, 10:26 AM
With most USB devices, the only thing you need to do before removing them while Windows is running is to click the appropriate icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and choose to safely stop the device. I would suggest trying this device alone after loading Windows with no other USB devices installed before returning it. With this many USB devices, there may simply be a conflict in Windows resources.

sachs
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
My PC is a very powerful one for a guy that doesn't manage "plays". It's an Intel Pentium dual cuore 2200, 7200, 2GB and 350 G of hardisk. My printer, my camera, and my keyboard small floating lamp connect through USB. I thanks God (metaphorically) that I have 4 back USB and two in the front. With sincere respect and friendship, I straighlty doubt that the PC could be clipping for the connection of a small MP3 device. The real point is: Do we feel or know, if the trouble is in the "no brand" mp3 that was given to me; or do we feel that, maybe it is necessary to unplug the device in off position, or something like that? I just transferred all my Christmas and New Year's Eve photos through that port with no troubles. I need this MP3 to just install my own music in my consult, not offering too visible issues, except speakers (I have huge CD library). I bought a new office but, unfotunately it was a fraud in that everything talked inside the "private" is listened in the waiting room through the faulse ceiling. Friendly regards and thanks again.

02audionoob
01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not saying your PC can't handle it. Windows conflicts have nothing to do with the performance specifications of the computer. It's simply the potential limitations of the software.

sachs
01-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm not saying your PC can't handle it. Windows conflicts have nothing to do with the performance specifications of the computer. It's simply the potential limitations of the software.
OK, sorry. What software? Greetings

02audionoob
01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
OK, sorry. What software? Greetings

Windows XP is the software. When XP is trying to allocate its resources to various devices, conflicts can occur. The more hardware you have, the more likely such conflicts are. If this is indeed a conflict between USB devices, the way Windows can best attempt to resolve it is by removing USB devices.

It is possible the USB devices can all work together, but at the moment there is probably a software problem. That problem could be something caused by the software for specifically the MP3 player or it could be something Windows XP can't resolve because of the many USB devices.

One thing to keep in mind, cheap devices come with cheap software.