Little help for a French lost about headphones choice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Little help for a French lost about headphones choice

Pocketboy
12-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Hello there,

First, Merry Christmas to everybody.

Well, I try to find good headphones under ... 200$ (my very max!)
I mean good headphones : really "pure" and realist sound, accurate, precise. great spatialisation. and if possible closed headphones.

I will mainly used them with my computer for music, video game, movies. So they must be pretty "polyvalent"

I looked a bit, and I found the SENNHEISER HD-25 SP II to be my "favorite" choice at the moment.
But the HD-5xx range seems to be pretty "accurate" also.

What is your advice please ? (I quote references, but you could propose other if you think it is better for me, of course).

Thanks

PS: I'm absolutly not a pro, I don't need to mix etc etc. So that's not important
- I don't consider buying an amp
- I don't have really "trained" ear, and don't want "the absolute best headphones that worse 1000000$", just want accuracy and spatialisation (and closed if possible)

Pocketboy
12-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, I've done some more research, my favorite now is the HD555, what do you think ?

Mr Peabody
12-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Welcome to AR. I love Sennheiser product. I haven't heard the 555. I have the 580's and they are great. The 580's are open back though and will leak into the room if volume is moderate to high.

I am not a Grado fan but many like the SR60i for a good budget headphone. I also heard an impressive set of Sony with a nice pillow ear pad with a soft leather feel. Unfortunately, they were on a display and I gave them a quick listen but didn't notice a model number. They were supposed to be "super bass" though.

The Senn's really can't be driven to their potential by mp3 players and I'm not sure about computers. In my opinion though they are superior in sound quality and I've yet to hear a headphone with a more open and large sound.

Geoffcin
12-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, I've done some more research, my favorite now is the HD555, what do you think ?

Got $200 to spend? The Sennheiser HD595 are my personal cans and they smoke the competition. You want better and you better buy yourself an headphone amp or you outta luck.

Pocketboy
12-26-2009, 03:03 AM
but I can get the HD555 (with shipping from Australia) at 87€ and the HD595 128€ (in a store not that far from my house). That's almost 50% more.
Does it really worth that difference for a "non pro" ?

GEOFFCIN what do you think of the HD555 ?

And I really don't have any clue about amp, I didn't even know it existed :) So, what amp, do you recommend for this use, and for cheap if possible (again, I don't need the top of the top, just something that make a noticeable difference)

Geoffcin
12-26-2009, 03:39 AM
but I can get the HD555 (with shipping from Australia) at 87€ and the HD595 128€ (in a store not that far from my house). That's almost 50% more.
Does it really worth that difference for a "non pro" ?

GEOFFCIN what do you think of the HD555 ?

And I really don't have any clue about amp, I didn't even know it existed :) So, what amp, do you recommend for this use, and for cheap if possible (again, I don't need the top of the top, just something that make a noticeable difference)

What I think doesn't matter, it's what you think. For myself, I buy the best I can and then don't worry about my decision.

Neither headphone will need an amp, my suggestion was that if you want to get something better than the HD595 you will need an amp. Both the HD555, and HD595 are 50 Ohm headphones, and can be driven by any MP3 player without the use of a dedicated headphone amp.

Pocketboy
12-26-2009, 04:16 AM
I didn't really get what you're trying to tell me. But if your angry, I didn't mean to.

Just wanted to know if for someone who didn't have a really "trained" ear, if I will still a very noticeable difference between both headphones ?

And about your 595, if I want :
precise sound,
neutral (I mean, I had HD 202, and they were too bassy), but with good bass when needed,
spatialisation,

are these the headphones for me ?

Geoffcin
12-26-2009, 05:11 AM
There are no professionals here, only people like yourself. I myself enjoy the HD595. :14: For me it was worth it.

Now don't make me angry! :mad5:

(it is a joke!!)

Pocketboy
12-26-2009, 05:43 AM
and did you experience the "weakness" some say, like flat sound, not enough bass etc.

I do have some 128k MP3 to listen, will this be good also ?

Pocketboy
12-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Sorry to bother again,
But the HD428 seems quite good for such a low price, any opinion ?

Happy Camper
12-26-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/

Amps.

Pocketboy
12-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you :)

james101
12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I just got the HD555's. I use them with an iPod and computer- and am very impressed with the range of these headphones. Most people say you will need a headphone amp- but so far, I am doing fine without one. However, you could spend $100 on the HD555 and $60 on a nice headphone amp like the Electric- Avenue's PA2V2 amp. Just make sure you won't be using these in public places- b/c the sound leaks out...a lot.

Pocketboy
12-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Thank for the info !

stretts
12-28-2009, 04:33 AM
I bought some Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro's and i absolutely LOVE them, never will i go back to earbuds haha.

But a must is have your collection of music at 192 bitrate or more because less than that and oyur not getting the full potential out of your gear.

I run my Beyer's with an el cheapo Boosteroo pocket amp (20 something AUD) but it makes a huge difference (mainly the seperation of the instruments, however i use it mainly to conserve power on my ipod).

Basically, they are great for all kinds of music, but i particularly enjoy Jazz on them, listening to Mingus' Ah Um right now and the soundstage is incredible.

usbmusic
01-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Talk about accuracy I think you should consider AKG, studio use them. If you get a pair of AKG240 that will be good :)