NAD or ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD or ?

ryanianmckinnon
12-23-2009, 08:41 PM
im looking into buying the NAD C 326 int. amp for $500 off crutch field, the amp is only two channels which is all i need and rated 50w into 2 channels at 8 ohms. now my dad is saying oh are u sure thats what u want it doesnt have alot of power or anything, and ive learned its not always how much its rated ive read forums and reviews about amps saying they only have around 50 w a channel and it turning out to have at least 100 w a channel just from listening. so what im pretty much trying to say is that what i need ? im only spending about $500 and i only want 2 channels and a sub output, i want to listen to vinyl and cds is that good for what i need ? or is there something better out there for that price, and also considering this is only for a bedroom so it doesnt need to be crazy or anything just simple and able to do the job

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_745C326BEE/NAD-C-326BEE.html?tp=34948

thanx

02audionoob
12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Do you have any others you considered?

ryanianmckinnon
12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
not really well i wouldnt mind like a older sansui int. amp or something like that but idk i havent really looked around i know NAD is a good brand i havent heard anything bad about them but what id really like to get in rotel but i couldnt afford it

02audionoob
12-23-2009, 09:17 PM
It sounds like you're open to used equipment, so you could probably manage a Rotel RA-1060 or RA-1062 for the price of a new NAD...or less. I see one for $325 on A'gon.

ryanianmckinnon
12-23-2009, 09:25 PM
yeah im open to used equipment as long as its in really good condition with
not much scratch marks or anything and the hard part is that does it send to
canada ? and could u get me a link for that so i could check it out ?

02audionoob
12-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I suppose it could be a problem getting sellers to ship from USA to Canada...it often is. Here's the link:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1266441701&/Rotel-RA-1060-Integrated-Amp

These guys would probably ship to Canada:

http://www.audioclassics.com/detail.php3?detail=RA1062&nav=cat

ryanianmckinnon
12-23-2009, 10:09 PM
yeah it says ship to usa only
but ive been looking on http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9
and they have some nice int. amps
i like the Cambridge audio
or the marantz
but they all dont have sub outputs ?
is that a problem or does it not matter if u have good enough speakers

02audionoob
12-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I agree...I like the integrated amps at Audio Advisor. Without any sort of volume-controlled outputs on the integrated amp, it seems like you would need the type of sub that has speaker-level inputs and outputs, so you can connect your sub to the amp and your speakers to the sub.

Speakers certainly can perform well without a sub. I like my sub, though. I keep it turned down fairly low so it blends rather than thumps.

ryanianmckinnon
12-23-2009, 10:29 PM
yeah there is some nice amps on there but im asking myself the question, do i want to go out and spend $1000 plus dollars for an amp just for my room, and also if i was gonna spend that much i would upgrade my speakers in the process. is that NAD what i need or should i go for the NAD C 375BEE which is triple the power but double the price. is it worth it to spend that much on something thats going in my bedroom or no cause the NAD C 326BEE seems to be all i need but i want to get a few more opinions before i decide

02audionoob
12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe the guys on the east side of this continent have gone to bed...maybe they'll chime in tomorrow. I think you're on the right track with a high-quality 50-watt amp, as opposed to being caught up in the power numbers.

ryanianmckinnon
12-23-2009, 11:18 PM
yeah cause i dont need HUGE power i just want an int. amp that sounds good
and is gonna last me a long time, im gonna mostly just be listening to cds and vinyls
so i think its the right one for me but ill wait till the other guys comment first :P

Ajani
12-24-2009, 04:29 AM
yeah im open to used equipment as long as its in really good condition with
not much scratch marks or anything and the hard part is that does it send to
canada ? and could u get me a link for that so i could check it out ?

For used Hi-Fi Gear in Canada, try:

www.canuckaudiomart.com

It's the Canadian version of Audiogon...

The NAD should be more than sufficient for your purposes (unless you have ridiculously inefficient speakers and/or want to play the music at ear bleeding volumes)...

A used Rotel RA-1062 would be well within your budget (and is an excellent option)... Also a Marantz PM 5003 is within your budget and is supposed to have a very good phono stage according to the Stereophile review....

Ajani
12-24-2009, 04:32 AM
yeah there is some nice amps on there but im asking myself the question, do i want to go out and spend $1000 plus dollars for an amp just for my room, and also if i was gonna spend that much i would upgrade my speakers in the process. is that NAD what i need or should i go for the NAD C 375BEE which is triple the power but double the price. is it worth it to spend that much on something thats going in my bedroom or no cause the NAD C 326BEE seems to be all i need but i want to get a few more opinions before i decide

For less than the 375BEE I'd check out the Rotel RA-1520 or for a little more than the 375, the Naim Nait 5i-2....

What speakers are you planning to use?

dean_martin
12-24-2009, 08:44 AM
For a bedroom or small room the NAD will work very well. I have an older 40 watt pc NAD in my bedroom system. Plus, with a powered sub you can use it in a larger room.

HOWEVER, you state in your post that you will be using it to play vinyl. Note that this integrated will require a separate phono amp to spin vinyl. If you already have a phono amp, either separate or in a receiver with pre-out, then you should be fine. If not, then you will need a separate phono-amp. Good ones can be found for under $200 USD, but you will need to factor it into your budget.

ryanianmckinnon
12-24-2009, 09:54 AM
yeah in www.canuckaudiomart.com there is a decent older mcintosh McIntosh MC 2100 STEREO POWER AMPLIFIER for $500 but idk if its what i need, cause i need to find a int. amp is what im prefferably looking for cause i wanna listen to vinyls and cds, but there is also a rotel ra 1062 in there for $600 and id have to go pick it up and the speakers im gonna be running are acoustic research ar 226ps, and i dont know if i would need a sub or not

02audionoob
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
One nice thing about the older gear...phono inputs. You could probably round up a nice Adcom setup within this budget. I actually like the NAD you chose, though.

ryanianmckinnon
12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
yeah that is the nice thing about older gear
but i love the NAD but i dont want to have to pay for a seperate amp just
to play vinyls i like some of the new rotels i was looking on the website
that Ajani gave me a link for and there is a Rotel ra1062 in vancouver for $600
thats in really good shape and around my bugdget and it has a phono input but
i dont know if he has a sub output but i think its four channels

02audionoob
12-24-2009, 12:23 PM
In the long run, you might be happier with a separate preamp for vinyl...don't know for sure. It leaves open the option to upgrade the phono preamp. This would be a good setup in the same budget range, including a phono preamp:

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridge_Audio/Cambridge_Audio_340a.asp

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridge_Audio/Cambridge_Audio_540p.asp

ryanianmckinnon
12-24-2009, 12:24 PM
yeah i was looking at that cambridge amp on a site i can remember but it was a pretty nice one and that set up would only cost about $500 total which is around my budget

ren9328
12-29-2009, 04:32 AM
I personally owned an NAD C320BEE and can recommend it. I would keep scouting Audiogon or Canuck Audio Mart for a deal. I scored mine for $175.00 and it was as brand new. Form what I have seen though the average going price is around $250.00 or so.

The NAD is "only" rated at 50 wpc but it had no trouble driving my Dynaudio Contour 1.3s to room filling volumes. Reallistically the difference between NAD, Rotel, and Cambridge Audio components at their price points is not ground breaking, they are all high value pieces. If you want more power and refinement then you will pay substantially more.

For spinning vinyl look at the NAD PP-2 phono preamplifier which runs about $140.00.

If you are in no particular hurry you will find some very good deals on Audiogon (and many will ship to Canada). Do a little research and check out Creek, Arcam, Rega, etc.

Good luck

poppachubby
12-29-2009, 04:43 AM
If you are in no particular hurry you will find some very good deals on Audiogon (and many will ship to Canada). Do a little research and check out Creek, Arcam, Rega, etc.

Good luck

As a Canadian I have to disagree. More and more sellers on Audiogon can't be bothered to ship here. It's quite discouraging. Canuck Audio Mart is simply not at the same level as Audiogon, therefore, we lose.

It means as Canucks we must look harder for our bargains.

ren9328
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Poppa, you can still make out but it WILL cost a bit more.

I have sent a couple of items to Canada from here in Michigan. It takes longer to get there and costs more (which is absurd to me). The fact is is that there are just more items available here in the US because we have nearly ten times Canada's population. So much for NAFTA!

My top score down here in the states has to be Krell KAV 300iL from a local attorney for less than $1000.00 (well less!). That deal bordered on a larceny.

I am just trying to give the OP some good options that won't break the bank. Everything is relative, the better the quality of your supporting equipment the more you are able to tell differences between components. For him I think NAD would be a fantastic choice. When using Dyn Contour 1.3 SEs (or some other fantastic monitors) maybe not so much so. As always YMMV.

I am one of those that is willing to pay the extra 400% for the few % improvement that top flight gear is capable of. On the other hand I have listened to the mid-level equipment and know how good it can be and what a great value it is.

rob_a
12-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Give Emotiva.com a try, there gear is good, low priced and have reasonable shipping cost. I am 100% sold with them.

ryanianmckinnon
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
i actually didnt get NAD, Rotel, or cambridge i actually am looking at a denon inergrated amp tomorrow and im 99% buying it i just have to make sure everything works good and is in good condition. this thing is a beast weighing 52 pounds but ill let the pictures speak for themselves and poppac good to know your from canada :D

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/553.asp#

its only 4 years old
only has 60-100 hours on it
brand new worth $1200
im buying it for $575 what a deal

RGA
12-30-2009, 09:14 PM
If you are in Victoria BC - you should drop by Soundhounds on Pandora Ave and Qelectric across the street for vintage gear. You may pay less and get an even better amplifier - don't judge amplifiers on how much they weigh. Not a good idea.

poppachubby
12-31-2009, 04:18 AM
Poppa, you can still make out but it WILL cost a bit more.

I am one of those that is willing to pay the extra 400% for the few % improvement that top flight gear is capable of. On the other hand I have listened to the mid-level equipment and know how good it can be and what a great value it is.

I wasn't trying to take away from any of your fine advice ren. Ryan is a newbie and I just want him to understand that Audiogon isn't always the best option for us Canucks.

ryanianmckinnon
12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
yeah rga i have been to sound hounds only once but they have some very nice stuff in there and yeah im still a noobie :P

Feanor
12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
As a Canadian I have to disagree. More and more sellers on Audiogon can't be bothered to ship here. It's quite discouraging. Canuck Audio Mart is simply not at the same level as Audiogon, therefore, we lose.

It means as Canucks we must look harder for our bargains.
BTW, living in Canada, I've several times bought equipment from Audiogon sellers who had stated "USA only".

The trick was that I (1) offerred the full price without haggling, and (2) assured them that I would be entirely responsible for the brokerage, duty, and taxes.

Feanor
12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
yeah rga i have been to sound hounds only once but they have some very nice stuff in there and yeah im still a noobie :P
You've been doing too much texting, Ryan. :biggrin5: Around here we aim to capitalize were appropriate and use proper punctuation.

ryanianmckinnon
12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
i know im slowly getting better but i just bought a new int. amp last night im so happy with it now i gotta start saving up for some better speakers, im looking for some towers, id like my budget to be around $1000 since im still in school and only working part time but any speakers i have my amp with be able to power them

hifitommy
01-02-2010, 09:44 PM
the pm5003 which was reviewed with lowing terms. list price of $450 with 55wpc. check out the review, maybi its available in canada.

if this was what i needed, i would be on it like white on rice.

KiltriP
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey there, I have an old NAD that I scored for free because a friend found it at a junk yard with its power cord cut off. I replaced the cord and it worked perfect. Keep checking craigslist.org and search for NAD's, Adcom, Rotel and so on. I'm sure you can find a decent used unit. I also picked up my Rotel receiver for $150 and it is perfect. The sound is unbelievable with both the NAD and Rotel. I haven't personally heard any Adcom amps or anything but I have heard good thngs.

bjdalton1
02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey man,
I did a lot of research and right here at this website. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but wanted a quality product. There are so many kinds of electronics. There are amps, integrated amps, receivers, tuners and amps (components), tubes, solid state. Your head can spin. I ended up researching the the products here along with speakers. My system is a NAD 355 BEE 80 watts per channel. I bought it used on Audiogon for $500. Remember, we are in a Depression and he who has the gold makes the rules. Cash rules. Don't be to anxious.
Its a great integrated amp. The power is very clean. My room is about 22' x 13'. I have B & W speakers. CDM 1nt's. They are very nice but a little bright. Missing some bass I am saying. Because the system is a 2 channel system I am told I can't hook up a subwoofer that would give me the added bass. I might if I unhook the other pair of speakers, I think. Have you looked into speakers?

02audionoob
02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey man,
I did a lot of research and right here at this website. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but wanted a quality product. There are so many kinds of electronics. There are amps, integrated amps, receivers, tuners and amps (components), tubes, solid state. Your head can spin. I ended up researching the the products here along with speakers. My system is a NAD 355 BEE 80 watts per channel. I bought it used on Audiogon for $500. Remember, we are in a Depression and he who has the gold makes the rules. Cash rules. Don't be to anxious.
Its a great integrated amp. The power is very clean. My room is about 22' x 13'. I have B & W speakers. CDM 1nt's. They are very nice but a little bright. Missing some bass I am saying. Because the system is a 2 channel system I am told I can't hook up a subwoofer that would give me the added bass. I might if I unhook the other pair of speakers, I think. Have you looked into speakers?

You can run speakers through many subs. Speaker wires from amp to sub and then from sub to speakers. You can also run the sub off of PRE OUT 1.