March Music Madness: AC/DC vs. Prince [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: AC/DC vs. Prince

newtrix1
03-28-2004, 07:55 AM
semi-final match # 3:
Please vote on your more favorite artist between AC/DC and Prince.

Rules are loose with March Music Madness, but the idea is to choose the band (or artist) you enjoy more, rather than which is “greater”, or more influencial, etc.

thank you.

notes:

Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

Status (to vote on another match, select the match # below):
Previous winners of elimination matches (Yes, Flaming Lips, Wilco, Talking Heads, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, AC/DC and Prince) will face off two at a time and winners will move into the “final 4” round.

semi-final match 1 (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3128)(in progress): Fleetwood Mac (11) makes a strong showing, but Yes (12) leads
semi-final match 2 (winner declared): Wilco (12) sinks their summer teeth into The Flaming Lips (4)
semi-final match 3 (in progress): AC/DC vs. Prince
semi-final match 4 (tba):

DariusNYC
03-28-2004, 02:20 PM
I guess this is one of the easy ones. Prince is a towering figure in popular music. I said a lot of it in my post about him last week in the earlier matchup with Bjork; but in this post I want to focus on the great pop singles he is responsible for: Little Red Corvette, Kiss, When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, When You Were Mine, Uptown, I Feel For You, (most famous in Chaka Khan's version), Raspberry Beret, Purple Rain, 1999, Nothing Compares 2 U (Sinead O'Connor's version being the best and most famous), U Got the Look, Sign o' the Times, Controversy, I Wanna Be Your Lover, I Would Die 4 U, Delirious, etc.

It's funny the instant reaction you get at a party among people in my rough age group when someone throws on a Prince hits disc or 1999 or Purple Rain; it's unanimous joy, with no dissension. Was reminded of that when I was at a party last weekend where that exact thing happened.

AC/DC was a great band, with their rock-n-roll hearts always in the right place, but this isn't exactly a fair contest against the greatest pop music artist of the 80s.

Worf101
03-28-2004, 02:30 PM
I mean AC/DC made bonafide RnR anthems "Rock me all night long" and others. They certainly were/are unique. Don't know if they truly broke any ground but they certainly staked out their own brand of British Steel and fought all comers for an awful long time. That both of these artists can be found under the same overarching banner of RnR is part of the problem with these kind of contests. Still in all I gotta give to Prince by a nose, simpley for volume of work, longevity and versatility. With AC/DC you pretty much know what you're gonna get, no ballads, no experimentation etc.. not a bad thing just something I like in an artist as well.

Prince by a nose but both bands really make me smile...

"For those about to rock.... we salute you!!!!"

Da Worfster :)

dld
03-28-2004, 05:52 PM
AC/DC by a nose. Yes Prince was more influential and could craft a pretty rocking song every now and then hisownself. But AC/DC moves me. Doesn't challenge my intellect but on a gut level, they connect. I could spin "Best Ofs" by both at parties without fear of incurring the wrath of anyone present. In fact, Prince would be more popular with my corwd, but this is my vote. And Back In Black rules!

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Whut Darius said. 'cept he forgot a couple: Gett Off, Kiss (although I prefer the Tom Jones/Art of Noise version), Sexy M*th*rf*ck*r, Diamonds and Pearls, and my personal favourite "deep cut" Thunder, around which Twyla Tharp commissioned a composer to compose variations for an entire dance concert.

Yes, I know most of those were 90's. It's still Prince, it's still relevant to his standing, and he still wins.

JDaniel
03-28-2004, 07:24 PM
This one is tough for me, as I like both. I can't vote for both, so I'll defer to my High School Fight Song to break the tie - T-N-T Dynamite. I lived at North Lake Tahoe during some of my lost high school years. Our high school was called Tahoe Truckee H.S. (thus the TNT). It was pretty damn cool for a high school fight song. We played it at all ballgames, pep rallies etc.

JD

newtrix1
03-28-2004, 07:39 PM
This one is tough for me, as I like both. I can't vote for both, so I'll defer to my High School Fight Song to break the tie - T-N-T Dynamite. I lived at North Lake Tahoe during some of my lost high school years. Our high school was called Tahoe Truckee H.S. (thus the TNT). It was pretty damn cool for a high school fight song. We played it at all ballgames, pep rallies etc.

JD

Well, in the event that this one ends in a tie, so far it's between Darius' well prepared defense of Prince, and JD's hometown TNT testimonial. I hope it doesn't come down to making a choice though. ;)

dph1965
03-30-2004, 07:32 AM
and if Bon Scott were still alive even closer. But overall, the genius of Prince and his infusion of Rock/Funk/Soul win me over (not to mention most ladies I know find Prince slightly more appealing & the great memories of Summer of '94 to the Purple Rain soundtrack - a month at the beach after HS grad - not that there wasn't plenty of AC/DC played there also!)
I quite often find a comp CD of each in my player at teh same time...
Has anyone seen Prince Live in the Round BTW? Can I vote twice?LOL
Workout in the gym/JD drinking w/ the guys - AC/DC
"getting my groove w/ the ladies" - Prince

dph1965
03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
to see someone Karaoke to Pu*sy Control at the bar of which I'm GM. The place goes crazy....

Swish
03-30-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm not a big fan, but I'd rather listen to them than Prince any day o' the week.

Swish

Stone
03-30-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm not a big fan, but I'd rather listen to them than Prince any day o' the week.

Swish

You don't have to vote, so why don't you take your vote back, since you can't seem to vote for the correct choice? :)