Moving to SoCal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to SoCal

atomicAdam
12-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey all AudioREVIEW folks -

I'm moving to Upland, CA from Oakland, CA this holiday and would love to have a little audio welcome at my small place when I get it all set up. I've got some equipment for everyone to listen too. Can do some demo's of the effect of high end power cables and generally drink some beer and have some fun.

LMK

-adam

poppachubby
12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Will you be flying people in?

JohnMichael
12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I visited San Diego this summer and I have some complaints. The sun was shining all the time, it was hot, the ocean was captivating. I was happy to get back to Ohio and enjoy all the trees and green valleys. I missed the clouds and the break from the sun. I think I am too Irish to be in the sun too long.

Of course I hope you love it and I can fly myself in so when you are ready for guests let me know. As a member of AR I am used to staying in hotels comparable to the Palmer House in Chicago. Yes I need a marble bathroom.

blackraven
12-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Too bad, I was just in Sunny Cal this week visiting my brother in Seal Beach and my mother in Laguna Hills. It was in the 80's and back here in Minnesota it was freaking 10 degrees.

recoveryone
12-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Well Welcome to the I.E. I live about 15-20 min east of Upland in San Bernardino. Upland is a nice hill side community with quick access to the 210 Fwy that connects you to all points east and west. If you like Skiing you are only hour from Big Bear 210 east 330 north, area and about the same from Wrightwood area (which is just over the mountains behind Upland...210 east 15 north 138 west). Your only 20-25 min out of Pasadena for the New Years Parade 210 west, 45-50 min from Universal Studios 210 west 101 South. 45-50 min Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm 210 west 57 south.

If you like racing Cal speedway is in Fontana 15 min away 210 east exit Cherry go south. Drifting is done at Irwindale 210 west. Drags are at Pomona Fairplex 15 min (winter National) 210 west exit fruit south (turns into Fairplex) Well as you can see you will be living in an area that can keep you entertain no matter what your taste is.....once again Welcome.

atomicAdam
12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the all the info. Poppa I'd love to fly people in but I'm broke!

I actually grew up in Claremont/Ontario and have most of my family down in that area. I'm not really thrilled to be moving down there. I love Oakland, and the greens and blues of the bay area are better suited to me than the reds/browns/greys of SoCal.

We are moving into a small cottage with a yard which will be awesome. Won't have to worry about volume of music and we will be able to have garden and grow our own food. Soon I'll dread my hair and smell of patchouli oil. We'll have a daughter named Stardust and drink wheat grass drinks. yeah right!

Anyways, it should be a blast. Have most of our stuff packed up and u-haul truck this saturday and a long drive down. haven't packed up the audio gear yet. I think that might have to be last.

atomicAdam
12-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, I'll try to plan something on Jan or Feb. I'll have to find out about the local audiophile groups down there. I hope to get to as many events as I can. Good local hi-fi shops anyone know about? Record stores? I fear I maybe doing a lot of online ordering.

recoveryone
12-24-2009, 02:15 PM
For the most part they have all died off. Between Walmart and Best Buy they have killed most Mom & Pop operations. I think Ontario Mills has a mid to highend HT store, but the sales people are no help. In San Bernardino we have a Highend shop called Video/2000/ Mart, located off the 215 just north of the 10 exit Orange Show Rd. Grand Terrance has a Mit's dealer for big/wide screen TV's, located off the 215 south of the 10 exit Barton Rd I think. Everything else is local chain stores "Big AL's and so on. I guess I can say Welcome Back....lol just wait until next summer comes you'll be begging for those cool bay breezes and mid 80's temps. lol

atomicAdam
12-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Well... we r down here now.

The new place is both good and bad. Bigger audio room, a sepperate study room and bedroom, bigger kitchen but layout sucks, and a yard.

Overall not too sure we are 'thrilled' but will survive for the time being.

poppachubby
12-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Well... we r down here now.

The new place is both good and bad. Bigger audio room, a sepperate study room and bedroom, bigger kitchen but layout sucks, and a yard.

Overall not too sure we are 'thrilled' but will survive for the time being.

Well you made it, good for you. Dude, link a Google map as to where you are. Oh and BTW, I don't know how far from LA you are but I know that HiFiTommy belongs to a group.