"Extra" Packaging with DVDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Extra" Packaging with DVDs

Hairsonfire
12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I know it's just a maketing gimmick but thought I would ask the question anyway. What do you good people do with the extra packaging that comes with some DVDs? I guess this only applies to blu ray for me because I stopped buying anything else a long tim e ago. I mean, the disc is already housed in the standard blue plastic clam shell, except for some special releases that come boxed. I have been just discarding them. I can't see wishing I had kept the extraneous sleeve 30 years from now becauset some collector of "vintage" technology will turn his nose in the air. Just a caffeine and boredom fueled random query! Happy holidays everyone!

rob_a
12-23-2009, 05:20 PM
That's funny, I just leave it in the extra boxing and not think about it.

L.J.
12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I never give it much thought, but I have read forums where ppl would actually call to get damaged sleeves replaced. Guess it is a concern to some.

I keep my boxed sets the way they are and have quite a few displayed on my entertainment stand :wink5:

Woochifer
12-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Those cardstock outer sleeves are basically a compromise that gradually evolved. A lot of consumers do like the more vivid images you can get with printing onto glossy cardstock. Basically, it just looks fancier on a store shelf.

That was the thinking behind Warner's support for the much-maligned snapper cases. Most of the industry wound up adopting the Amaray cases for DVDs (the extended jewel case was another packaging format more commonly used overseas), but Warner thought that having the printed cardstock looked better. It might have looked better but it was also a lot less functional than the Amaray case (i.e., could not fit inserts or other items into a snapper case).

Eventually Warner transitioned over to the Amaray cases for most of their releases, but they wound up moving over to Digipak packaging for their classic movie series. The Digipaks used a cardstock outer sleeve, along with a cardboard foldout and plastic inserts to hold the discs. I think they wanted to make the presentation fancier because those classic movie releases were typically loaded special editions that carried a higher list price than other older movie releases from other studios.

Warner's more recent classic movie releases have now also transitioned over to the Amaray case. But, as a final concession, they now come with the cardstock outer sleeve. Again, this is probably something to set apart their classic movie special editions from the more run-of-the-mill stripped down releases from other studios.

I generally keep the outer sleeves. I just think they look nicer. Keeping things in good condition is one of those collector's instincts that hearkens back to the old days when LPs were more collectible if the cover was in good condition. The other collectibility aspect of those outer sleeves is that they are usually only made for a limited time.

Hairsonfire
12-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Another thoughtful and informed response from you to one of my random posts. Happy holidays to you and yours! - 8)

pixelthis
12-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Blus look really good on a shelf, all have the same blue case, excepting the occasional "MATRIX".
Take up less space too.
Query, if you throw away the case what do you store your discs in?:1:

recoveryone
12-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Query, if you throw away the case what do you store your discs in?:1:

I think he was referring to the card stock sleeves.

The real question is what do with the extra Norm DVD/Digital Copy that many come with? I for one don't use/have a Ipod/Zune or any other portable device to copy the digital disk to. Now if I was a BIG BALLER with 5+ screens in my ride hooked up to a portable HD I could see the advantage...lol

But I know for sure Wal-mart is driving the price war to the edge. I picked up the latest Harry Potter BR which included the norm DVD and Digital copy for only $15.00 that was lower than the normal DVD by itself.

02audionoob
12-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I keep almost everything...always have. Anyone remember the Chicago album that came with an iron-on Chicago logo? I still have that.

rob_a
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I keep almost everything...always have. Anyone remember the Chicago album that came with an iron-on Chicago logo? I still have that.

WOW, Have you ever played Chicago backwards??? :cornut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEzDZDRvwo&feature=related

pixelthis
12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
WOW, Have you ever played Chicago backwards??? :cornut:

NO, but if you hum a few bars....:1: