Need good 2.1 speakers for about $150 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need good 2.1 speakers for about $150

dsoria1801
12-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm looking to replace my blown Logitech speakers. $150 is what I want to spend, but I can go a tiny bit over (closer to $200) if it gets me a lot better quality. I use them for gaming and music mostly (I don't want 5.1 though, since my room/computer isn't set up to place speakers around). I'm not an audiophile in the sense that I know what to look for in sound, but I do appreciate great quality.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Jimmy C
12-24-2009, 07:07 AM
...the AudioEngine A2s are supposed to be quite impressive. Self-powered, $200.

02audionoob
12-24-2009, 07:32 AM
M-Audio makes some good little powered speakers:

Google search link (http://www.google.com/products?q=m-audio+studiophile&oe=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&lnk=pruser&price1=&price2=150)

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sounds nice.

recoveryone
12-24-2009, 07:35 AM
The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sounds nice. Ditto

dsoria1801
12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
The lack of volume control on the A2's might make it annoying since I constantly adjust my volume on my computer. Also, a lot of reviews say the bass is a little overpowering. Does anyone have these and is this a problem?

Jimmy C
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
The lack of volume control on the A2's might make it annoying since I constantly adjust my volume on my computer. Also, a lot of reviews say the bass is a little overpowering. Does anyone have these and is this a problem?

...it's just that it's 'round back. Agreed, not the most convenient, but I, for one, would be willing to give up a bit of inconvenience for a quality sound. Sup to you...

I'm actually using the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1... the sub is nice, but I don't consider the mains very good - these are a computer speaker only. I have a feeling the A2s are a mini-audiophile set-up with limitations. Sub later available when funds permit.

Don't get me wrong, the Klipsch has served well (a gift), but I would trade the sub extension for better mains...

Jimmy C
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
...send me half the new price of the K Promedia (what was it... $150?) and I'll get the A2s...

I have the original box and packing materials (everything's mint), could probably ship for free thru my wonderful wife's company... you wouldn't be the first to buy sumfin from me!

Speaking of that... where has Topspeed been? I'm not in here EVERYDAY, but haven't seen him...

cjpremierfour
12-25-2009, 09:03 AM
In that price range, the Logitech Z2300 would be my first choice. This 2.1 unit uses the Tang Band drivers for both the desktop and subwoofer. It's a good combination of good sound that can play really loud.
If your wanting something better, I would also look into a cheap receiver with some bookshelf speakers. You can add a subwoofer to the package later.

dsoria1801
12-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I just got the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system for Christmas. One question I had was about the power button. It is located on the back of the sub-woofer, so am I supposed to crawl under my desk and reach around there to turn it off every night, or am I supposed to leave it on all the time?

02audionoob
12-26-2009, 02:49 AM
You can just leave it on. The power usage is negligible.