Cheaper Oppo BR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Oppo BR

blackraven
12-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Oppo will be releasing a cheaper BR player in 2010!

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-news/blu-ray-hardware-news/oppo-releasing-lower-cost-blu-ray-player-in-2010.html

Woochifer
12-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Not surprising given that the BDP-83 was a replacement for their top-of-the-line DVD player, and uses a lot of highly spec'd components. Oppo had two other product points in their lineup before abandoning the DVD player market. This would obviously fill those voids.

With the bottom dropping out of the mass market BD player price points, there's plenty of room in the middle for a higher quality BD player. They could go one step down on the video processors, sell the player for around $300, and still have plenty of takers.

blackraven
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I think that Oppo will probably drop the DVDA and SACD play and keep the Video quality the same. Down grading the video would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

Worf101
12-24-2009, 05:41 AM
I think that Oppo will probably drop the DVDA and SACD play and keep the Video quality the same. Down grading the video would be like shooting yourself in the foot.
I don't own SACD or DVDA, I went looking for some disks, can't find any of albums I want so... drop both formats, take a couple of $100 OFF the price and we got one helluva deal.

Worf

Woochifer
12-24-2009, 11:22 AM

I don't think that would be the case. Remember that Oppo's DVD player lineup used three different sets of video processors at three different price points. All of them were well regarded, but there was a distinct differentiation in performance at each price point. Even their $200 entry level DVD player came with DVD-A/SACD playback.

The top-of-the-line processor in Oppo's former flagship DVD player comes from the same family as the one installed in the BDP-83. There are other high quality video processors out there that cost less than the Anchor Bay unit in the BDP-83. Oppo can easily use them in the newer lower cost units without sacrificing much with the video quality.

All of Oppo's press releases call the BDP-83 their flagship player. A flagship implies that it's the top-of-the-line, and lower tiered products would get slotted below that. Producing a ~$300 Blu-ray player with video quality equal to the flagship unit would undercut the market for the flagship model. I doubt that Oppo would let that happen, especially since the Oppo has gotten so much buzz from its introduction.

BadAssJazz
12-24-2009, 08:05 PM
This seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Oppo owned the DVD market at just about every price point in terms of performance. I see more of the same with Blu Ray.

I'm sure the '83 will remain their top of the line and a highly sought player by audio/videophiles. But there is the average consumer to consider, and that's too large a base to ignore.

With very solid BR players going for as little $120 now, and with others offering feature packages with online streaming (Netflix, Youtube, Amazon) for a few ducats more, Oppo Digital would be crazy not to introduce a lower priced unit.

BadAssJazz
12-24-2009, 08:08 PM
And this to arrive in January no less! To think that I almost pulled the trigger on the '83 last week. Guess we'll wait to see what Oppo has up their sleeve.

poppachubby
12-25-2009, 04:01 AM
I will be upgrading to a BR in 2010. It would be nice if OPPO could release something for the little people like me. I don't have a super fancy TV, so I don't think I could benefit from their TOTL.

Feanor
12-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Oppo will be releasing a cheaper BR player in 2010!

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-news/blu-ray-hardware-news/oppo-releasing-lower-cost-blu-ray-player-in-2010.html
FWIW, I'm ticked with Oppo since the DV-980H I bought quit playing SACD. Of course, this happen very soon after the warranty expired.

I'm not sure I'd buy another Oppo. Instead I might go for a Panny or Samsung from a source that will sell me an extended warranty.

BadAssJazz
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I'd buy another Oppo. Instead I might go for a Panny or Samsung...

My curiosity getting the better of me, I emailed Oppo directly for confirmation of the soon to be released Blu Ray player...and their response:

We will be releasing a DV-980H replacement with Blu-ray functionality shortly.

Try doing that with Panasonic, LG, Sony, or Samsung. :wink5:

The 980h includes DVD-A and SACD capabilities, so the "replacement" will have those features AND blu ray...only cheaper than the BD83. As for price, Oppo didn't give away anything there, but the 980H retailed for around $170...adding BR capabilities shouldn't drive up the price that much, if at all. Can't wait to order it.

The only downside is that no mention was made of internet connectivity. Would have been nice to have that, too. But not a deal breaker.