So long good Friend.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So long good Friend....

manlystanley
12-22-2009, 10:40 AM
My H/K PM655 that I've owned for about a year will be picked up tomorrow. I bought it for $35 and will be selling it for $50. This amp showed me what a real audiophile system could sound like. I'll never forget powering it up the first time and having my jaw drop. I never knew that my B&W 684's could sound so good...... I'll miss it, but I just got tired of messing with it to get the right channel to work.

Now we all talk about what we have or are planning on getting--but rarely talk about our own audiophile history. So as a question, what have you sold (or has broken) that you are the most fond of?

Best Regards,
Stan

audio amateur
12-22-2009, 11:29 AM
My Trends TA-10.1 amp. I fried the main chip using the wrong power supply. Poor thing... It doesn't look like i'll be able to fix it.

pixelthis
12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I had a great set of B&W 602's2's, with center, asw1000 sub, etc.
Bought a complete set of Klipsch for close to three grand as part of my upgrade plan.
What a mistake, they sounded so good in the store, at the house they sounded
tinny, and the vinyl on the sides started coming off(made in China).
Anyway I got my B&W set back, and it cost me, be awhile before I CAN upgrade
speakers, although I am looking at some Deftechs(they have some audiophile quality speakers now).
But my B&W speakers are priceless, having been made in England before everybody
started putting "engineered in blah blah but made in China on the box.
China can make some decent stuff, but speakers are a fine art.
I don't care where they are "designed" or "engineered", thats where they need to be
made.
My two cents, anyway.:1:

hifitommy
12-26-2009, 09:12 AM
anybody know?

tot this one, the later one. this one is usually referred to as the wheat penny.
http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6484&stc=1&d=1261524897

manlystanley
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Off my B&W 684's go..... Wanted to sell them for $750, but only got $720. Not to bad seeing that I had them a year and a half. I'm just glad that I got them used for $800, so I didn't loose to much.

The CL buyer is supposed to be by tomorrow night....

Best Regards,
Stan

blackraven
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear you were able to sell the 684's so fast. Now maybe the wife will be a little more accepting of the 1.6's. Looks like you made out real well with the price of the Maggies and what you sold the 684's for.

manlystanley
01-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Glad to hear you were able to sell the 684's so fast. Now maybe the wife will be a little more accepting of the 1.6's. Looks like you made out real well with the price of the Maggies and what you sold the 684's for.

Hello BR,
Thanks for the warm thoughts. My wife is a wonderful, very sweet woman, but don't mind stating her opinion. She absolutely hates the 1.6's. Now, she is bringing out the big guns: (e.g. talking to her friends). They are saying things like:" I can't believe you let them in your house". One friend, said: "I only let my husband decorate his workshop that in the unattached garage......."

So, the vote in my family is:

--> Multiple votes for get ridding of the Maggies.
--> One vote for they stay.

..... My vote wins......

Best Regards,
Stan

blackraven
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I was surprised when my wife bought me my first pair of magnepans as a present. She bought me my MMG's. And a few years later she told me to buy the 3.6's even after seeing how large they are. I settled on the 1.6's as my family room is 17x17. I think my wife enjoys the sound as much as I do. Unfortunately she likes to put Journey on and I have to sit and listen to them.