5.1 surround test media? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 surround test media?

fishsponge
03-28-2004, 03:24 AM
Having recently bought a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround amp, i wouldn't mind testing it. I can obviously just play a DVD and listen, but what about a test DVD?

For example, computer games are in 3D, but they might use the full potential of your 3D card, so you run a test like 3DMark2003 SE to see the full capabilities of your card, right?

Well, i wanna do something similar for my 5.1 AV receiver. I can hear the 5.1 sound with my DVDs, but i wanna hear a really dynamic, well recorded surround demo to really hear the full capabilities of my setup.

Does anyone know where i can get such a disc?

Also, will my DVD player play DVD-Audio without a problem, or does it specifically have to support DVD-A?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

Arch
03-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Most standard DVD players will not play DVD-A. Usually a DVD-A capable player is a major selling point and the front panel will tell you so.

If somehow you are not sure about your unit, check the outputs on the back of the player. SACD and DVD-A signals uses a 5 channel analog output instead of a digital output because all major record labels are afraid that anyone can make digitally perfect SACD and DVD-A copies.