Big power amp, or smaller bridged amps?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Big power amp, or smaller bridged amps??

fishsponge
03-28-2004, 03:18 AM
Which is the best?

Having one large very powerful amp, or having 2 less powerful bridged amps to make up the same power?

Which would sound beter? or does it depend on many things?

i don't know much about bridging, u see, so my questions might be a bit vague...

Geoffcin
03-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Which is the best?

Having one large very powerful amp, or having 2 less powerful bridged amps to make up the same power?

i don't know much about bridging, u see, so my questions might be a bit vague...

All other things being equal it's better to have the more powerful amp. When you bridge an amp each side "sees" 1/2 the load. So if you are driving an 8 ohm speaker each side would see a 4 ohm load. If the load dips below 8 ohms, say to 4 ohms, then each side of a bridged amp sees 2 ohms and could become unstable. Some amps, like my PS Audio are stable into 2 ohms or lower so this may not be a problem for you.

FLZapped
03-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Which is the best?

I would stick with one amp.

Bridging, while it increases the max power by a realistic 3x(4x theoretical), it comes at the price of higher distortion.

I also doubt that you'd really be saving any money for all the added complexity.

-Bruce