interconnect help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : interconnect help

sonicpower
12-19-2009, 12:10 PM
i am currently in the process of putting together a klipsch/denon audio system.i had purchased a mcintosh rca interconnect for multiplayer to receiver.i have given it plenty of burn-in time and tweaked the inputs to a very satisfiable reproduction(to my ear).my problem is i feel there is more i can do to tighten the bass and warm the highs.i am thinking the kimber kable hero interconnects or possibly the analysis oval+ interconnect may help.i have read from others the klipsch klf are inherantly bright and these two cables will relieve some of that.are there any klipsch/denon people here can help steer me in the direction?thanks for any help.

FLZapped
12-19-2009, 12:50 PM
You won't get there with interconnects. You need to look at the acoustics of your room and the placement of your speakers and your listening position.

-Bruce

02audionoob
12-19-2009, 01:01 PM
FLZ makes a good point. Interconnects could affect these things, but not to the degree you apparently will need. Speaker placement does make a big difference, as does acoustical treatments. I have no tone controls on my primary system but I have mellowed out treble by positioning soft furnishings at the first reflection points and also by hanging a single sheet of Kleenex behind the speaker grille, in front of the tweeter. I've tightened bass by moving the speakers away from the walls, especially corners, and by plugging the ports.

Mr Peabody
12-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I can vouch for the Analysis Plus. They have a very natural midrange and did seem to hold back on the highs. For less money you might also try the Bluejeans which may not be as revealing as the A+ but to my ears seem to have about the same tonal balance.

There is merit to what was mentioned about room treatments. I wouldn't personally put anything in front of my tweeter or any other driver, if the problem is that bad it's time for a change.

It might also be worth mentioning as you have that "brightness" is a character of the Klipsch, and using a horn tweeter. If treatment and cables don't seem to help, as I said, it's time for a change.

Save some money and buy your cables from some place that will allow you to return them if not happy. That way if the cables don't seem to improve anything you can return them with nothing lost. I believe Bluejean allows a 30 day trial period. Hopefully your A+ dealer will do so as well or have a loaner pair to try.

02audionoob
12-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Here's some reasoning behind the tissue theory...

http://www.bobhodas.com/tissue.html

I'll admit it's seems a little drastic, but I've actually tried it so I can vouch for it instead of dismissing it.

sonicpower
12-19-2009, 09:13 PM
i appreciate the inputs(pun intended).i did not mean to infer the the brightness is overbearing.since the beginning of this endeavor the brightness has decreased significantly.i would say to the point that i can get control of it.i plan to attend to the room treatments in time.i guess i was looking for just that little better tonal quality.i have adjusted to the point that my system is very neutral and much less fatiguing.i will consider all suggetions.as for now i am leaning toward the analysis+.there are no audio dealers close so auditioning is out of the question.i will just have to rely on those who have have been in my place and share their experience on this.

frenchmon
12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I would not count out cable to help with the brightness you are experiencing. I have A+ cables and they will tone down the brightness while giving you an overall balance in your sound. I have a set of Klipsh KM 5's for rears in my hometheater and they are bright speakers, but fine for rears. If you have them doing front channel duty or your main speakers in a two channel system, you can try a warm cable such as the Analysis Plus cable and room treatments to tame it down. The Denon which is on the warm side should also help paired with the A+. Afterwards if the brightness is still overwhelming it may be time to change speakers.

frenchmon

02audionoob
12-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I often forget about the level of nuance these discussions can be referring to. When I see the word "bright" I think of an issue that is significant enough that I absolutely must deal with it...as opposed to a small tweak.

Mr Peabody
12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
02AN, in my opinion, your article actually enforces for me why not to use the tissue. The main reason, he says it can't be controlled. Secondly, they were doing this in a near field condition. I don't think many listen to their main system two feet from the speaker. Thirdly, he says the tissue don't stop the sound wave but reflects it back into the tweeter. Either way, blocking it or cancelling it, the signal gets messed up. The responses shown don't look appealing to me.

If it works for you that's fine, it's just something I'd not do.

atomicAdam
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
i am currently in the process of putting together a klipsch/denon audio system.i had purchased a mcintosh rca interconnect for multiplayer to receiver.i have given it plenty of burn-in time and tweaked the inputs to a very satisfiable reproduction(to my ear).my problem is i feel there is more i can do to tighten the bass and warm the highs.i am thinking the kimber kable hero interconnects or possibly the analysis oval+ interconnect may help.i have read from others the klipsch klf are inherantly bright and these two cables will relieve some of that.are there any klipsch/denon people here can help steer me in the direction?thanks for any help.

What type of power cords are you using? Any power conditioners? Room treatment is a plus, good ICs is great for detail and bring out things, but on a Jeff Rowland amp I've got in at the moment a kick ass power cord is what tamed the highs, tightened up and brought the bass out the most.

The Granite Audio #560 power cords are like $850 each, which is out of most peoples range. But I'm getting in some PSAudio AC-3 and the Jewel, $99 and $49 respectively. If those help tame the highs and tighten the bass of the Jeff Rowland I'll let you know.

-adam

02audionoob
12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I think there's some merit to discussing the Denon AVR-5600 receiver. The reviews here at AR seem to lean toward some weaknesses in music. It's not across the board, but there's enough there to notice. I have to wonder whether FLZapped's first sentence still sums it up.

Link to AR reviews (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/denon/avr-5600/PRD_118560_2718crx.aspx#review0)

poppachubby
12-20-2009, 03:24 AM
i appreciate the inputs(pun intended).i did not mean to infer the the brightness is overbearing.since the beginning of this endeavor the brightness has decreased significantly.i would say to the point that i can get control of it.i plan to attend to the room treatments in time.i guess i was looking for just that little better tonal quality.i have adjusted to the point that my system is very neutral and much less fatiguing.i will consider all suggetions.as for now i am leaning toward the analysis+.there are no audio dealers close so auditioning is out of the question.i will just have to rely on those who have have been in my place and share their experience on this.

Right, did anyone read this? Cables will definitely help your cause SP, however they can't turn a cat into a dog. The Klipsch are inherently bright, if they weren't to your liking, than I would have suggested putting money towards a new pair rather than investing in cables.

Sounds like your ears adjusted a bit, and the speakers chilled out a touch.

Room treatment would be the first thing I would do. For one, it's often as simple as moving some items around to achieve a different sound. Costs nothing but the time and labour to experiment. Secondly, if you're savvy with DIY at all, you can try to create some solutions rather than buy them.

Check out this site, lots of reading and good info. Scroll down and you'll find a ton a articles PLUS some discussion on cables.

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Accessories/Acoustic_Room_Treatments/Acoustic_Room_Treatment_Articles/

As far as the A+ cables go, Peabody and Frenchmon love their cables, so I would trust their insight. They have done their homework so you don't have to.

poppachubby
12-20-2009, 03:29 AM
What type of power cords are you using? Any power conditioners? Room treatment is a plus, good ICs is great for detail and bring out things, but on a Jeff Rowland amp I've got in at the moment a kick ass power cord is what tamed the highs, tightened up and brought the bass out the most.

The Granite Audio #560 power cords are like $850 each, which is out of most peoples range. But I'm getting in some PSAudio AC-3 and the Jewel, $99 and $49 respectively. If those help tame the highs and tighten the bass of the Jeff Rowland I'll let you know.

-adam

Adam did you see the cord I bought for the Golden Tube? Check the thread. It's in the same range as the PSA cords you are getting. I don''t think there's enough quality there to change the music that significantly. It just does a super good job at transferring the AC while containing the dirty, noisy power.

sonicpower
12-20-2009, 05:36 AM
you guys are great sounding boards.after the holidays i had intended to replace two of my power cords.i like the psaudio ac-3.as i stated elsewhere i have total control of my power source from the transformer to the electrical box.i have already priced dedicated circuit for my system.i am not sure i need a power conditioner.poppa i think you are right my ear has adjusted but i must also say friends have said there is a remarked difference in the highs so far.i will keep trying to chase that elusive sound.

poppachubby
12-20-2009, 06:05 AM
you guys are great sounding boards.after the holidays i had intended to replace two of my power cords.i like the psaudio ac-3.as i stated elsewhere i have total control of my power source from the transformer to the electrical box.i have already priced dedicated circuit for my system.i am not sure i need a power conditioner.poppa i think you are right my ear has adjusted but i must also say friends have said there is a remarked difference in the highs so far.i will keep trying to chase that elusive sound.

You have the same set up as me. I have a dedicated line for analog and a dedicated line for digital. To avoid power conditioning with this arrangement, it's vital to keep the two seperate. This way your analog gear won't be sucking the muck that your digital components are feeding back into the wall.

Sounds like you have a good set up and a keen sense of what needs to be done. Just keep tweaking, you'll get it.

atomicAdam
12-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Adam did you see the cord I bought for the Golden Tube? Check the thread. It's in the same range as the PSA cords you are getting. I don''t think there's enough quality there to change the music that significantly. It just does a super good job at transferring the AC while containing the dirty, noisy power.

Yep - saw that image. Good score.

I think maybe some equipment is more sensitive to power issues than others. I would think, with the GT-SE40 - with those HUGE transformers and stuff, that it might be a little less sensitive than some other equipment.

I've just been swamped with getting everything ready for moving on the 26th. Packing, cleaning, (getting wifie to do her share) hanging with friends for a last time till we move and trying to finish up some work things.

-aA