Ben Folds is doing what?!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ben Folds is doing what?!!

Swish
12-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that he was a 'celebrity judge' on the new show "The Sing Off' which, if you didn't know, is a battle of the a capella singing groups. The two other judges are a woman from The Pussycat Dolls and a dude from Boys 2 Men. How these shows get on the air is beyond me, but Ben Folds is way too talented to be part of this mindless crap. WTF?!

kexodusc
12-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that he was a 'celebrity judge' on the new show "The Sing Off' which, if you didn't know, is a battle of the a capella singing groups. The two other judges are a woman from The Pussycat Dolls and a dude from Boys 2 Men. How these shows get on the air is beyond me, but Ben Folds is way too talented to be part of this mindless crap. WTF?!

He's also the only one giving semi-intelligent comments. My wife's a huge Ben Folds fan so I had to sit through it the other night. Wasn't completely terrible, wasn't great though. A bunch of young people singing a capella...who the hell does that? I was shocked there were that many "teams" that work at this stuff. I won't be PVRing it any time soon. My guess is they offered him a lot of money, and he thought it might be fun. I wish a network was dumb enough to offer me a lot of money to be a judge on some stupid show. Instead I have to keep at my real job.

3LB
12-19-2009, 08:50 AM
His agent made him do it??? sad really :nonod:

I was able to sit through about 10 minutes of this...some of the vocal parts were actually very good, but the problem for me is having to look at them while they perform. All the over-ebullience and fake exhuberation - blame the TV show Glee. Hell, blame TV in general, because that's all you ever see on these TV shows anymore are insufferable type-A people who act up like 6 year olds.

Next thing you know, they'll have a TV show based on auditions for a new Up With People group and tour. :(

MindGoneHaywire
12-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I have no issue with Ben Folds doing this for a paycheck. In fact, better him than someone whose music I don't like.

bobsticks
12-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I have no issue with Ben Folds doing this for a paycheck. In fact, better him than someone whose music I don't like.

Ditto and amen...given that he may be the only one in the room with any talent there's a lot riding on his contribution. If he can influence only a few people, a few groups, then maybe the word can avoid another Boys to Men or Bell Biv Devoe and that, my friends, would be an invaluable service...

Troy
12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
This show sounds horrible.

But I agree with MGH and Sticks, why begrudge him the ability to make money?

So long as I don't have to watch it.

3LB
12-20-2009, 07:31 PM
This show sounds horrible. looks bad too

But I agree with MGH and Sticks, why begrudge him the ability to make money?
I don't begrudge him, but I do feel bad for him

So long as I don't have to watch itI'm glad its only a week long event. Even the promos for it made me cringe

Troy
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm glad its only a week long event. Even the promos for it made me cringe

Yeah I saw one during the ball games yesterday. Horrible.