My favorite new actress [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My favorite new actress

Hyfi
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
In a movie world where they just keep using the same actors for every movie, there is a young star that has got me watching a few movies I would never have watched.

http://22.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kryyzmuqZS1qzj7voo1_500.jpg

Ellen Page starred in Juno and was nominated for several awards. She did not win (should have) but was the youngest to get nominated for some of them. She has been in several lower budget or non US films and plays every part very convincingly. She is the star of the new movie Whip It which I will see shortly.

I just watched Hard Candy where she plays a 14 year old who turns the tables on an internet stalker pedophile. What an intense movie!

I plan to watch as many of her films I can get my hands on. She is smart, funny, mature and of course, beautiful. Too many of the over used female actors, IMO, are not even that great looking and there is nothing to write home about their acting. Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep......do nothing for me in the way of looks or acting. How many more movies can they use the same people in? Time for some fresh faces.

Anyone else like this girl and her acting abilities?

Troy
12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes. She was adorable in Juno.

dean_martin
12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Saw her in Juno and Hard Candy. Have to agree, she's a good up and coming actress. I'm looking forward to renting Whip It. Hey, it's got Roller Derby!

Your post reminded me of watching The Professional for the first time and thinking, "Who is this girl (Natalie Portman)?" Maybe Ellen can avoid some of the wrong turns Natalie took like that cardboard cut-out she played in the Star Wars fiasco and that boring lifeless character in that toy store movie (the name of which is not worth remembering).

Troy
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Saw her in Juno and Hard Candy. Have to agree, she's a good up and coming actress. I'm looking forward to renting Whip It. Hey, it's got Roller Derby!

Your post reminded me of watching The Professional for the first time and thinking, "Who is this girl (Natalie Portman)?" Maybe Ellen can avoid some of the wrong turns Natalie took like that cardboard cut-out she played in the Star Wars fiasco and that boring lifeless character in that toy store movie (the name of which is not worth remembering).

Any guy that's a Natalie Portman fan needs to see The Darjeeling Limited where she has a great scene in the first 10 minutes. You'll watch it over and over and over . . .

Ahh, Whip It is the Roller Derby movie. Saw preview for that. It looks like the best RD movie since Kansas City Bomber.

dean_martin
12-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Any guy that's a Natalie Portman fan needs to see The Darjeeling Limited where she has a great scene in the first 10 minutes. You'll watch it over and over and over . . .

Ahh, Whip It is the Roller Derby movie. Saw preview for that. It looks like the best RD movie since Kansas City Bomber.
I've got Darjeeling and love it, particularly the prologue to which you refer - stands up to multiple viewings and a few pauses.

Hyfi
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Not familiar with J Portman but looked at some pics. She reminds me of a young Jennifer Garner.

http://www.celebrityphotobook.com/images/uploads/jennifer-garner-l.jpg

http://education.makemeheal.com/images/6/67/Natalie-portman.jpg

Hyfi
12-18-2009, 10:35 AM

I used to love watching Roller Derby with the Philadelphia Bombers. From the extended previews I saw, it almost looks like Juno after High School as far as the character goes.

I hope Ellen makes it big and stays as clean as she has so far.

ForeverAutumn
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't remember Natalie Portman at the beginning of The Darjeeling Limited and we only saw it two weeks ago!

I see, from YouTube, that there was a short film that preceded the movie. Is this what you're referring to? We recorded the movie from TV so maybe the short film wasn't included.

Hyfi
12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't remember Natalie Portman at the beginning of The Darjeeling Limited and we only saw it two weeks ago!

I see, from YouTube, that there was a short film that preceded the movie. Is this what you're referring to? We recorded the movie from TV so maybe the short film wasn't included.

Yep, it's called Hotel Chevalair

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YI8EOZk3W_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YI8EOZk3W_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GMichael
12-18-2009, 11:47 AM
She's cute.

Troy
12-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I never knew that was considered a separate piece from the movie. It kinda sets up the Schwartzman character for the rest of the story. I'll never understand Wes Anderson movies. It's a great scene tho (both parts), and she's irresistible in it.