Pangea Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pangea Cables

nightflier
12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Audio Advisor has been selling these Pangea Power cables at a fraction of the typical price for anything after-market. I mean you'd be hard pressed to find anything at the hardware store at these prices. I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to power cables, but at these prices, I might consider one or a few. Has anyone bought these? What did you think? How did they compare to the other brands (PS Audio, Audioquest, etc.)?

Pangea AC-9 1M cable (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PGAC9)

poppachubby
12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow. That's quite a price! How could you be a sceptic? In terms of this cord elevating your system to new heights of sonic greatness, not likely. But looking at the specs (9 AWG!!!), it will certainly do an excellent job at delivering and containing the dirty AC signal. Fantastically shielded too BTW.

My only question would be, if you need to buy a power cord, how could you not?

poppachubby
12-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Flier, check it out. Scored huge today. Have you ordered the Pangea?

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=309001#post309001

nightflier
12-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, that was a nice find. I've got a number of PS Audio power cables and aside from causing my lightweight components to tilt, I've never noticed anything different. Deeper black, more solid bass, greater silence? Haven't heard any of that. But they do look expensive and make people wonder about the price....

Pangea cables look decent as well, although the end plugs look a little mass-produced to me. Of course, at that price, who can complain?

dean_martin
12-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey Flier, check it out. Scored huge today. Have you ordered the Pangea?

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=309001#post309001

Nice find, pops. I scored an AR Pro Series II HDMI cable on clearance at Best Buy two years ago. It's good stuff.

poppachubby
12-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice find, pops. I scored an AR Pro Series II HDMI cable on clearance at Best Buy two years ago. It's good stuff.

Thanks Dean. Ya, for my gear the price/performance is perfect. To go into a higher bracket would be pointless for me, I get great results from the Pro Series II, whatever the cable. I never go to Best Buy but I guess they used to push the AR stuff heavy. Now Monster are the brand of the day.

If you are ever able to get an AR PSII "F" connector, do so. I bought a few at 4 bucks each, closeout sale. Fantastic product...

poppachubby
12-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes, that was a nice find. I've got a number of PS Audio power cables and aside from causing my lightweight components to tilt, I've never noticed anything different. Deeper black, more solid bass, greater silence? Haven't heard any of that. But they do look expensive and make people wonder about the price....

Pangea cables look decent as well, although the end plugs look a little mass-produced to me. Of course, at that price, who can complain?

Dude, are you getting a Pangea cord?

bluetrain
12-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I have the AC-9 cord. It replaced the stock cable of my PS Audio P500 power regenerator. The sound of my whole system became more open, bass got tighter and the volume kind of louder at the same listening level. And that's before the cord was broken-in.

nightflier
12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Bluetrain, that's a lot of endorsement for a power cord. Or are you yanking our chain?

bluetrain
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Bluetrain, that's a lot of endorsement for a power cord. Or are you yanking our chain?

Nightflier, I'm dead serious:smile5: , of course, if you can take my word for it.

nightflier
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Well it looks like Pangea now also does HDMI, including one for $20:

Pangea HDMI at AA (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGHD24L&variation=1&utm_source=Email+Newsletters&utm_campaign=cb75b5449f-Best_HDMI_Bargain_Cables12_22_2009&utm_medium=email)

poppachubby
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
One more time, Flier, did you order one?

nightflier
12-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Not yet. One order at a time - still wrestling with NuForce on the BR player.

blackraven
12-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Wasn't Pangea a super continent?:14:

TheHills44060
12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, that was a nice find. I've got a number of PS Audio power cables .....
Do your PS Audio cables fit snugly in the component's IEC receptacles? I'm using them on my amp, preamp, dac and cd transport and there is so much play (I mean practically hanging out) with the cord it pisses me off. The stock power cord from each component fits fine. Just wondering if you had the same experience with PS Audio.

nightflier
12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Shodulik, I wouldn't say my PS audio cables are very sug, but they also don't hang and there is no play in my components. I do use them on my amps, and these have pretty tight recepticles, being amps and all. What are you using them on? My cables are also big & heavy, and on other components I could easily see the PS Audio cables tipping them. I used to use a Parasound Scamp with my amps and that was always a problem there.

As for the Pangea cables, thay are 9ga cables, so I imagine they would also be big and heavy. I'm also wondering about the plugs on these cables since they look like inexpensive molds. Considering this is one of the most important parts of a power cable, I'm wondering what the plugs are like. Bluetrain, any thoughts?

bluetrain
12-24-2009, 06:48 AM
As for the Pangea cables, thay are 9ga cables, so I imagine they would also be big and heavy. I'm also wondering about the plugs on these cables since they look like inexpensive molds. Considering this is one of the most important parts of a power cable, I'm wondering what the plugs are like. Bluetrain, any thoughts?

Nightflier, my Pangea cord is also very heavy, but reasonably flexible. It fits pretty well on both ends. As for the plugs - I have no idea what they are, and I've never seen something like that on other power cords. My amp/pre cords use Marinco (I think) plugs. There is one thing I should mention, though, since Audio Advisor doesn't say about it, that Pangea stuff is made in China, but despite that I'm going to get a few more of them, both 9 and 14 awg.