Any downside to on-wall mounting of front-ported speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any downside to on-wall mounting of front-ported speakers?

Killer
03-27-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm buying a house with the following home theater area in the basement:

http://members.iquest.net/~hokeg/NewHouse/Basement1.jpg

I'm going to replace the small HT-in-a-box Panasonic speakers with a set of Klipsch RB-25's front, RC-25 center, and RS-25 surrounds, running off my Denon AVR-1803 receiver and Denon DVD-2200 source. The RB-25's are front-ported, and can be either stand-mounted, wall-hung, or placed on a bracket held away from the wall.

Aesthetically, hanging the speakers on the wall (with some small rubber spacers behind them) would look the best in this room. But will I be losing anything acoustically by going this route? Will the bass be muddier or "boomier" with the speaker directly on the wall vs. on a bracket held away from the wall? (Speaker stands are out due to the wife factor and toddler factor.)

This Guy
03-27-2004, 09:37 PM
it should be fine. The bass may be a little muddy due to being on the wall. It shouldn't be a huge a problem if you get a sub. It may not even be a problem at all, all speakers are different. I think it's turn out fine.

-Joey

Killer
03-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have an older JBL PSW-1200 sub to fill in the lower bass with the RB-25's.

topspeed
03-28-2004, 12:10 AM
I hate those cut-outs for tv's. What if I want to put a 60" in my HT?

Anyway, back topic...

Sonically, your best bet is stands, but you already knew that. If you must mount them to the wall, I'd recommend using brackets as they'll allow you more flexibility should you find you need to toe-in the speakers to fine-tune your imaging. These are what I use for my surrounds and they are very well built, easy to install, and can easily hold your speakers.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l1paVSZldvR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=1&g=110700&I=121BT77B&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Nice room you've got there. Have fun!

Debbi
03-28-2004, 04:57 AM
...in fact they new Klipsch RB25s are front ported and change made specifically to address shelf and wall mounting that most people want with multiple speakers for HT...only the RB15s are rear ported...like you said, rubber bumpers or other types of isolation needed on rear to prevent structural vibration unless this is a masonary wall...

Geoffcin
03-28-2004, 05:24 AM
I'm buying a house with the following home theater area in the basement:

http://members.iquest.net/~hokeg/NewHouse/Basement1.jpg

I'm going to replace the small HT-in-a-box Panasonic speakers with a set of Klipsch RB-25's front, RC-25 center, and RS-25 surrounds, running off my Denon AVR-1803 receiver and Denon DVD-2200 source. The RB-25's are front-ported, and can be either stand-mounted, wall-hung, or placed on a bracket held away from the wall.

Aesthetically, hanging the speakers on the wall (with some small rubber spacers behind them) would look the best in this room. But will I be losing anything acoustically by going this route? Will the bass be muddier or "boomier" with the speaker directly on the wall vs. on a bracket held away from the wall? (Speaker stands are out due to the wife factor and toddler factor.)

It will not be a problem. Stands are the preffered method, but on wall, and in wall applications can work well too.