Inductors -arrrggghhhhhh. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Inductors -arrrggghhhhhh.

Gary Hubbard
12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
A necessary evil - almost impossible to solder to them and does an increase in milihenries always mean an increase or decrease in the cross-over frequency?

mlsstl
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Not sure what you mean about inductors being difficult to solder. I've never had any undue problems that I can recall. Are you using a soldering iron with wattage appropriate for the job? (I use a pencil iron with a variable wattage control.)

Inductors can be used in various places in a crossover circuit, but in a simple crossover if they are used in series with the woofer voice coil, but before a shunt capacitor, an increase in millihenries will lower the woofer crossover point.

There are other spots in the circuit they can be used so one really has to look at the crossover in question.

hermanv
12-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Xl = 2PiFL

Or; Reactance in Ohms = 2 times Pi times Frequency times Inductance (in Henries).

So increasing inductance or frequency makes the reactance higher in Ohms.

MikeyBC
12-20-2009, 08:10 AM
A necessary evil - almost impossible to solder to them and does an increase in milihenries always mean an increase or decrease in the cross-over frequency?

Make sure you are scraping the coating off the ends of the wire where you're going to solder with a knife or razor blade first...soldering a bare copper wire is one of the easiest things you can do with a soldering iron. Also make sure you give the thicker gauge wire enough time to get hot enough to melt the solder.