MI-5 - not quite the Brit equivalent of 24 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MI-5 - not quite the Brit equivalent of 24

nightflier
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
OK, I didn't see any other reviews of this series, so I thought I would post my own. Hopefully there are others who watch this, although it does seem to be relegated to the back of the video isle and that's a pitty. I'm through season 1 and starting on season 2. I actually like the show quite a bit, but if you're looking for Hollywood special effects and Jack-saves-the-whole-world scenarios, then this isn't it. What it does offer is what I would consider a much more realistic depiction of what this world is like.

For starters, this is definitely lower-budget and very British - the humor, the scenes, the action, etc. It is also much more cloak-and-dagger spy stuff; more reminiscent of Smiley's People rather than Enemy of the State. What it does do, however, is give much more time to character development. There aren't always happy endings and while there is far less violence, there is the occasional holly-crap-did-they-just-do-that kind of reality check (see episode 4 "Looking After Our Own"). This is after-all still a life-and-death type of world and people do get killed. Revenge, while certainly present, is also typically more staid and bitter-sweet - which I also consider more realistic.

One particular pleasure is the addition of Hugh Laurie as the witty, fast-talking, ever-joking head of MI-6 (GB's equivalent to our CIA). If you like his bickering style on House, you'll love him in this series. Just don't cross him, all appearances aside, he's not a dandy and the revenge he doles out is convoluted, smarting, and long-lasting. The interaction with MI-6 is also interesting and to some extent overlaps what one expects to see with most Western countries who segregate their internal and external security forces. Apparently there is more of this ahead.

I read that there will be a considerable cast-change in season 3, which is a bit unfortunate since these guys are wearing on me. Of course, that probably also means that we'll be in for some more unfortunate casualties and possibly some more revenge to boot. Anyhow, this has been a very enjoyable series. Definitely more interesting than the regular TV fare these days.

(I hope I'm not the only one following this series).

audio amateur
12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I've just been introduced to the series by my housemate, here called 'Spooks'. Strange they would change the name for the American audience?
I hear it's been around for a while so I've just scene a few of the most recent episodes. It's pretty well executed but I can't say I'm 'hooked', probably simply because I've missed so much of the earlier episodes.
Glad you're enjoying something that is British made:)