General Speaker Comment [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : General Speaker Comment

manlystanley
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I was following the Bose thread in the portable audio forum and was about to jump in, when it seemed that it was wrapping up (even the clinking champagne glasses).

So, starting a different thread, A comment that I wanted to make is: I know that certain speakers match well with certain amplifiers. But, I also think that certain speakers match well with certain quality of amplifiers. As an example, I have a Klipsch RB-5 II that sounds assume with my lower end Denon receiver (AVR-687). It just seems to accentuate parts of the sound that the amplifier itself does not good with. The result is a system that sounds well together.

Likewise, I have a Bose 201 speakers that are mounted: in an enclave with a set of cabinets directly on top of them. You'd think that such a location would cause the bass to sound boomy. But, in that location it sounds good.

So, my comment is that buying a really high-end speaker might not help anything. What is best is to have a system that works well together. Then plan a effective upgrade strategy.

Best Regards,
Stan

Ajani
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
That is a valid point... System Synergy and Room Acoustics are KEY ingredients in successful Hi-Fi...

If I purchased (or more likely stole) a pair of $100K Ultra-Super-Reference Floorstanding Monsters, combined them with suitable Ultra-Super-Reference Quality Electronics, and then jamed them into a 8' x 8' room... they would sound like dog$#!+.... As such setups are designed to work in massive concert hall sized listening rooms... I'd get a far more enjoyable sound with small entry level bookshelves and matching electronics in a room of that size....

Geoffcin
12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
If all you got is an 8'x8' room you wouldn't be looking at a pair of cost-no-object speakers anyway.

However I do agree, speakers have to match the space they are in. BUT, that being said, it's surprising how good quality monitors can sound in a big room, or full size speakers in an intimate one. I don't think speaker quality would come into it except for the size. i.e. High quality expensive monitors are going to sound great in any size room. Your just going to be missing the bass.

The Klipsch are very good with lower power amps. Makes the Denon seem as powerful as a Krell. Your 201's in the enclosure you have them probably fills out mid bass a bit, making them sound warmer rather than boomy. Even so, a higher end speaker like a Dynaudio or B&W monitor would change you mind about how much better it can sound in the exact location.

Ajani
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
If all you got is an 8'x8' room you wouldn't be looking at a pair of cost-no-object speakers anyway.

However I do agree, speakers have to match the space they are in. BUT, that being said, it's surprising how good quality monitors can sound in a big room, or full size speakers in an intimate one. I don't think speaker quality would come into it except for the size. i.e. High quality expensive monitors are going to sound great in any size room. Your just going to be missing the bass.

The Klipsch are very good with lower power amps. Makes the Denon seem as powerful as a Krell. Your 201's in the enclosure you have them probably fills out mid bass a bit, making them sound warmer rather than boomy. Even so, a higher end speaker like a Dynaudio or B&W monitor would change you mind about how much better it can sound in the exact location.

My point was not that you should buy cheaper speakers, but that ensuring that your speakers match your room will likely yield far better results... than just spending more and more money on speakers that don't match your room...

Small Monitors will still sound great in a large room, assuming you sit close enough to them, are not trying to fill the room with sound, don't need deep bass and don't mind the scale of the music just sounding... well... smaller than a large speaker...

I've had fairly good results with Small Towers in a 9' x 9.5' Room.... However, I would not suggest putting say a pair or Revel Concerta F12s in that room.... Truthfully, a pair of Monitors would have been the best option for that room...

Geoffcin
12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
However, I would not suggest putting say a pair or Revel Concerta F12s in that room.......

Lot you know, I've got Wilson Alexandrias in my bathroom and they sound great!

audio amateur
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
That is a valid point... System Synergy and Room Acoustics are KEY ingredients in successful Hi-Fi...
Ajani, this has nothing to do with the thread but is there a particular reason you like to use capital letters everywhere? I'm just curious....

nightflier
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a pair of Magnepan MG12s in a closet-sized room (really) that I do computer work in. They sound OK, but yeah, there's a slight synergy issue there, just a slightly...

Ajani
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Ajani, this has nothing to do with the thread but is there a particular reason you like to use capital letters everywhere? I'm just curious....

Cuz capital letters are SEXY....

Ajani
12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Lot you know, I've got Wilson Alexandrias in my bathroom and they sound great!

Well, I'll have to admit defeat on that one ...

I just hope that you have an Audiophile approved toilet....

manlystanley
12-15-2009, 02:21 AM

Ha! I saw one of those at Home Depot. Sound Absorbent Material all around it.

Geoffcin
12-15-2009, 03:21 AM

Guests must wear "Depends" as exposure to the extreme sound quality has caused accidents.

poppachubby
12-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Guests must wear "Depends" as exposure to the extreme sound quality has caused accidents.

Hahaha. The ol bathroom system. We should start a thread for this subject. My wife likes to have music for her baths and when she's getting ready. Tough room to work in. Obviously acoustics are mashed, but also who wants to put good gear in a room that fills with moisture 2 - 3 times per day?!?

Right now I have a low end dock in my main bathroom. Plenty of sound, not the hugest room. If the dock dies from exposure, I won't feel too badly.

Anyhow, it would take a HUGE system to drown out my wife's singing, so why even bother? Dock it is!

Audioman00
12-16-2009, 06:24 PM
just got my wife one of those Logitech iPod dock's for christmas.. I'm thinking it will be plenty loud enough, and if it does die from exposure, it's not like losing a denon or marantz. dock it is here too!

bfalls
12-17-2009, 06:57 AM
This year I added a new bathroom. I remodeled a 12.5' x 25' room into a living room and bath. On the wall shared by both rooms, I have a 46" Sony Bravia XBR6 TV with in-wall Legacy Gallery speakers with another pair in the bathroom in the soffit over the enclosed walk-in shower. I have a Yamaha RX-V2095 in the top of the bathroom closet connected to both rooms via wall terminations and remotely controlled in the living room using an extended IR repeater and manually in the bathroom.

To keep the sound from the in-walls from being too boomy, I used heavier wallboard and insulated the shared wall. I used polyfill in the space over the shower. The sound in the living room stays in the living room and visa versa. For a CD/DVD source I'm temporarily using my HD-DVD until it's replaced later by an entry-level Blu-ray. Changing between the two rooms requires pushing two buttons. One turns off the surround effects (living room), the other switches to the 'B' speakers (bathroom).

All-in-all not a bad system. I'm using a small Klipsch sub for low-end in the living room until I can research and install an in-wall subwoofer. Not the same quality as with the Wilson's or a pair of Maggies, but for the cost, priceless. Legacy had the Gallerys closed out for $110/pr shipped (MSRP $399).