Kevin Gilbert Nuts & Bolts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Gilbert Nuts & Bolts

BarryL
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
The Estate of Kevin Gilbert has released two CDs of GIlbert studio material.

The first, Nuts, is more band oriented. The second, Bolts, is mostly solo or ballad material.

They are both great albums, but Bolts is killer. This is a MUST-HAVE CD for your collection. The songwriting here ranks up there, in my mind, with the likes of Jimmy Webb, or other of Brill-building fame, and that's a major achievement.

Some songs are new versions of his Thud material or songs done with Toy Matinee.

If you like great songwriting, combined with great musicianship and singing, then both of these albums are must-haves.

And don't forget Kevin's genius classic rock opera The Shaming of the True.

http://www.kevingilbert.com/

Hyfi
12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Yo Barry, long time. Thanks for the rec, I'll look into it since I like a bunch of KG I have heard. Hope all is well!

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Wow. Looky who the cat dragged in! Nice to see you back here bro. :)

Thanks for the rec.

BarryL
12-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Yo Barry, long time. Thanks for the rec, I'll look into it since I like a bunch of KG I have heard. Hope all is well!

These two disks aren't just out-takes and trash. They've done a great job with the sound quality. You wouldn't know these songs were put to tape more than ten years ago.

The quality and honesty of the song-writing only hints at the potential Kevin had to contribute great music to the world. It's a shame that these two disks couldn't have jumped right to the top of the charts. In fact, my 13 year-old daughter, when hearing Bolts in the car, wanted to rip the entire CD to her iPod. Up to now there may have been one tune in 100 that caught her fancy, but an entire disk by one artist demonstrates the quality and universality of Kevin at his songwriting best. Expect mostly melodic ballads here, not electronic flipped-out experimentation like on Kaviar.

Nuts is more band oriented.

I don't know if there is more in the archives or if this is the last of it.

BarryL
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Did you quit your job to write concert reviews? Maybe you should. Or are you a paid shill for TSO?

Hyfi
12-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Did you quit your job to write concert reviews? Maybe you should. Or are you a paid shill for TSO?
Who is that question directed towards?

BarryL
12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
The question is for FA for her review of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert.

But if it you think it applies to you, then you can answer. ;-)

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM

No payment received. I just wrote it out of the goodness of my heart. Because that's the kind of giving person that I am. :)

After reading my awesome review you're sorry that you didn't go now, aren't you?

Troy
12-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I know I sure am.

I heart Barry.

So, are there any new songs on Nuts & Bolts that a fan of KG who has pretty much everything already hasn't heard before, or is it all rehashes of previously released material?

BarryL
12-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I heart Barry.

So, are there any new songs on Nuts & Bolts that a fan of KG who has pretty much everything already hasn't heard before, or is it all rehashes of previously released material?

Awww. That's so cute.

Lots of new stuff, but some remakes of Jenny Ledge, Kashmir, Joytown, Goodness Gracious, Tea for One and possibly a few more. But lots of new stuff.

Unfortunately, it may not be your cup of tea. Most of it is basic good straight forward songwriting. Nothing too weird that would be suitable for the TP bloodstream.

You'd probably like Nuts better than Bolts. Bolts is much softer and more sentimental. But both are excellent. Nothing ventures into prog territory, but none of his original work really did. At the core he was a song writer, with good command of the rhyme and the English language, and a sense of humor.

Troy
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I certainly acknowledges his songwriting capabilities, they've never been in doubt, but he had a masterful touch when it came to production and arrangement, which was ver proggy and dense at times. KG was the whole package.