Spare woofer needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spare woofer needed

axton1
12-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody knows where I could get a 8'' woofer for Amrita Kronos Towers
this company has been closed for some time.
I can't seem to find a source . It would be great if any of the members could even identify the maker of the original drivers/woofers. ?

harley .guy07
12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I was told that the company that built that driver is out of business just like Amrita but if you know your specs for your speakers and cabinet volume you could most likely find something that would work but I would replace both drivers if I were to do this.

dakatabg
12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Man I couldn't find anything! Even on ebay there is a big 0 at the search!

You can always buy other brand woofers and replace the old ones!

axton1
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Man I couldn't find anything! Even on ebay there is a big 0 at the search!

You can always buy other brand woofers and replace the old ones!

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions.
The problem is there are 4 woofers ! 2 per speaker (compounded one in front of the other )
I have pics but can't seem to load them here as it requires an url and they are on my drive.
Anyway they have a crimped edge and are exactly 25cm diameter.
The speaker face is felt covered and the cutout is rebated. as far as I can find out Scanspeak and Peerless drivers are bigger.
If any one knows the driver manufacturers name maybe I could try and track a spare using that info.
Thanks agin for the help.

axton1
12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Guys,
The problem is there are 4 woofers ! 2 per speaker (compounded one in front of the other )
I have pics but can't seem to load them here as it requires an url and they are on my drive.
The speaker face is felt covered and the cutout is rebated. as far as I can find out Scanspeak and Peerless drivers are bigger.
If any one knows the driver manufacturers name maybe I could try and track a spare using that info.

If it's of interest to anyone here are the quoted specs on the Kronos Towers :
Here are the specs if required:
8'' compound 3 way
1'' fabric dome tweeter
2 x 8'' Amrita '' critically damped'' woofers per speaker.
Port tuned 24hz
90 db effeciency
Freq response :24hz >20khz
Impedance :7ohms min 4 ohm
Max spl : 108db
Crossover point :3,200hz
Crossover type : 6db per octave, special constant voltage/constant impedance network.
Cabinet : 3/4'' mdf multi braced
Mass loading compartment: for lead shot / sand
Recommended power :7.5 w triode or up to 500w
Dimensions : w x d x h :: 12'' x 15.5 '' x 40''
Weight :72 lbs each or 85lbs packed

mortimer
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
A woofer rebuild may not be out of the question

harley .guy07
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
If your woofer has a bad foam surround or something like that then replacing the surround would be easy but if the problem is voice coil or cone oriented I would say it would be very difficult to exactly mach how the original driver was built. if you replace the cone then the material will most likely have different weight and thinkness and possibly be made of a slightly different material which would change the sound character and how it works in the enclosure. If the problem is in the voice coil then replacing it would be ok but matching the stock voice coil winding and material and electromagnetic characteristics would be quite difficult so I would still say if you can not find a stock replacement on ebay or something then I would find new drivers all the way around. From what I heard the company that built the woofers in these speakers is out of business like Amrita itself so just getting a new replacement would not be a option but I would start by checking the vintage speaker websites and ebay to see if you can find a direct replacement used in good shape. then go from there

JoeE SP9
12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Guys,

Open an account at Photobucket or another photo hosting site. Upload the pictures from your hard drive to there. Then you will be able to upload them to this site using the url from the photo hosting site..