Home Speaker vs. Car Speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Speaker vs. Car Speaker

Dale M
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi,, I was just wondering what the difference is between a Home Audio Speaker and a CAR Stereo Speaker is? I just blew 2 old 10" speakers while watching Swat , yup it was loud and the speakers are old and the stuff(foam around the edge of the speakers) just blew right off. Anyways these are my back speakers and are in a really solid box with a front facing 5 inch speaker and a small 3 in tweeter facing straight up and wouldnt mind just replaceing the blown speakers,, I see Ads in the papers that show up advertizing Car speakers that are 10" that go all the way up too 800 watts,, Would these work in these boxs or is that a NO NO
Thanks
Dale M

Bryan
03-29-2004, 07:04 AM
My initial guess would be no. The car speakers are designed to work in a much smaller space than the home speakers. I would replace the woofers with woofers designed for home speakers.

This Guy
03-29-2004, 03:54 PM
NO NO

Don't even look at those watt ratings, it's usually max they can take for a fraction of a second, and the power handling varies widely on the box you put it in. Remember watts doesn't always equal good. Look at partsexpress.com for all your speaker stuff. They have a forum "ask the pros", tell them all you know about these speakers and they'll give you a proper replacement.

-Joey