The Rebirth of baby Marantz 2215b [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Rebirth of baby Marantz 2215b

jimmack
12-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Back in 79 I purchased my first Marantz it was a 2252b and in that day as you all know it was quite a machine! Well over the years I became an electronic engineer so I do know a bit about amps ect..

Anyway I stumbled across a 2215b in a shed that was in the backyard of a house I am renting and this shed had no doors and was all wet inside. And in this shed was a wooden box with no lid and inside of it was a Marantz 2215b all weathered and a beat up.

Well I took it upon myself as a baby project to restore it to factory specs and use it in my shop so I ripped it all apart spent $90.00 in parts diodes,caps,bulbs and other things I had the output transisters on hand.

Well the result was 29 WPC @ 0.03 Distortion into 4 ohms!

Yeah I know I could have got one or a bigger one from Ebay or something but like I said it was a baby project I dont knot I just had to do it LOL.

How does it sound? Like a Marantz should perfect, people in my shop tell me it sounds better than their new stereos and you know what it does!

The response times of this little sucker rival anything out there today Marantz was ahead of its time no question about it. Oh yeah its driving some PSB alpha b1 bookshelf speakers.

I dont know just thought I would share this rebirth of this little Marantz!

Jim

poppachubby
12-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds great. I run a little 1515 from time to time. Fantastic machine. Your speaker choice is also great. I think any 15/20 wpc Marantz paired with a decent bookshelf speaker can do battle with many amps.

The fact that you rescued it makes the deal only sweeter. In a world of throw away mini systems and garbage integrated, your amp now holds a value that these cannot touch.

Good for you. Welcome to AudioReview!!

JoeE SP9
12-13-2009, 11:03 AM
What, no pictures! There should be before and after pictures. That old Marantz gear is nice stuff.:smile5:
Welcome to AR.

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
In a world of throw away mini systems and garbage integrated, your amp now holds a value that these cannot touch.

Very well said

Geoffcin
12-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Back in 79 I purchased my first Marantz it was a 2252b and in that day as you all know it was quite a machine! Well over the years I became an electronic engineer so I do know a bit about amps ect..

Anyway I stumbled across a 2215b in a shed that was in the backyard of a house I am renting and this shed had no doors and was all wet inside. And in this shed was a wooden box with no lid and inside of it was a Marantz 2215b all weathered and a beat up.

Well I took it upon myself as a baby project to restore it to factory specs and use it in my shop so I ripped it all apart spent $90.00 in parts diodes,caps,bulbs and other things I had the output transisters on hand.

Well the result was 29 WPC @ 0.03 Distortion into 4 ohms!

Yeah I know I could have got one or a bigger one from Ebay or something but like I said it was a baby project I dont knot I just had to do it LOL.

How does it sound? Like a Marantz should perfect, people in my shop tell me it sounds better than their new stereos and you know what it does!

The response times of this little sucker rival anything out there today Marantz was ahead of its time no question about it. Oh yeah its driving some PSB alpha b1 bookshelf speakers.

I dont know just thought I would share this rebirth of this little Marantz!

Jim

Cool, those old Marantz receivers were the bomb back in the day.

Marantz always had good numbers, bu I can't help but wondering though if the new components you installed had anything to do with it measuring so good.