Sherlock Holmes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes

3LB
12-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Is it just me, or is anyone bugged by the notion that an American actor is playing the most famous sleuth of all time? I like Downey. I think he might even change my mind, but it still bugs me. Its like having an American actor play Charlie Chan...oh wait...

Mr Peabody
12-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I saw the previews of this movie and it looks like it will be good. We all know about previews though.

As far as who plays Sherlock, I think I'm so used to this type of thing I've grown indifferent. As long as the person does a good job. I can't believe all the bad accents they've had Leonardo try to do. Really bad in Blood Diamond and not so great in Body of Lies.

blackraven
12-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Get over it, its Hollywood. There has been plenty worse done.

Auricauricle
12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, as long as it's not Conan Doyle, who cares? B'sides, we can't all be Jeremy Brett, guvnah....

Troy
12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm more offended by the way they've taken such liberties with the character and story. The Holmes ethos has never been about punching people out and blowing stuff up. It's supposed to be a low key, cerebral and wry kind of story.

Auricauricle
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, well they have done this before....Remember Young Sherlock Holmes, The Seven Percent Solution, Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother or Murder by Decree?

BTW, Holmes was not above getting physical or using pyrotechnics....Recall his bout with Moriarty in The Final Problem and the smoke bomb in A Scandal in Bohemia?

I do agree with your sentiment, though. Downy? No....No....This movie looks more like a sequel to Wild, Wild West, to me...Who plays Watson? will Smith?

winston
12-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm more offended by the way they've taken such liberties with the character and story. The Holmes ethos has never been about punching people out and blowing stuff up. It's supposed to be a low key, cerebral and wry kind of story.
“Comparability”…. I see no analogy there myself!!... But hey the matinee crowd” needs the action `and Hollywood wants the Money, that been said….

(I would have love to see this movie been done in the period setting” and acting”) but big Hollywood can’t do that at this time to make money IMO” however after seen some clips and trailers I am looking forward to see this movie with some Anticipation

Mr Peabody
12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
There's a sequel to Wild Wild West?

Geoffcin
12-14-2009, 04:44 AM

Actually Holmes did knock a few ruffians senseless, and of course tossed Professor Moriarty over Reichenbach Falls using his martial arts skills, but overall yes, Holmes was a detecting machine, not a unlimited fighting competitor.

I for one am NOT going to see this movie. To me Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes.

kexodusc
12-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I have to agree with Troy as well, for the most part Sherlock Holmes wasn't Jason Bourne or the Daniel Craig Bond...the nationality of the actor I could care less about, there's always some time and place setting help required by the audience so this isn't overboard.

Worst part about the movie though is it would probably work (or fail) on its own merit without using the name of Holmes to sell tickets if they just kept the plot and and changed the names. There should be some form of character policing in Hollywood - what's next Superman being able to reverse time?

Auricauricle
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Superman...reversing time? Oh, come on, man!

Mr Peabody
12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Interesting to see folks views on this. It's wierd I know of Holmes and his catch phrase and character but I don't have any one person's face come to mind when I think of him.

Worf101
12-15-2009, 05:09 AM
As an old fart. Holmes to me was and will always be Basil Rathbone and Watson Nigel Bruce. That Holmes could "mix it up" if he had to and took on everyone from Moriarty to Uncle Adolph to boot. Jeremy Brettl's a close second, everyone else are also rans. I, for one, am stoked to see this latest adaptation but fear that turning Holmes into Batman was/is NOT a good thing.

Worf

bobsticks
12-15-2009, 06:23 AM
I for one am NOT going to see this movie. To me Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes.

I agree. Jeremy Brett was, indeed, an outstanding Holmes.

I have to agree with Troy as well, for the most part Sherlock Holmes wasn't Jason Bourne or the Daniel Craig Bond....

Yeah, but Matt Damon as Bourne wasn't Jason Bourne either. If one reads the Ludlum chronicles the film, though action-packed and exciting, is hardly an accurate representation of the original.

It wouldn't surprise me if those not initiated to the Conan-Doyle works like the flick and those experienced with the written word not so much.

bobsticks
12-15-2009, 07:13 AM
As an old fart. Holmes to me was and will always be Basil Rathbone and Watson Nigel Bruce. That Holmes could "mix it up" if he had to and took on everyone from Moriarty to Uncle Adolph to boot. Jeremy Brettl's a close second, everyone else are also rans. I, for one, am stoked to see this latest adaptation but fear that turning Holmes into Batman was/is NOT a good thing.

Worf

Co-signs...and ya don't have to be an "old fart" to respect and enjoy Rathbone, Worfster. Unless I'm mistaken he was actually accomplished at fencing though not nearly to level of Cornell Wilde.

Auricauricle
12-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Let's not forget the late, great William Gillette, Fellow Irregulars!

Worf101
12-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Co-signs...and ya don't have to be an "old fart" to respect and enjoy Rathbone, Worfster. Unless I'm mistaken he was actually accomplished at fencing though not nearly to level of Cornell Wilde.
If I'm not mistaken, Rathbone was an Olympic level swordsman with the foil. Widely recognized as the finest blade in Hollywood history he TAUGHT Erroll Flynn how to fence and choreographed many of their classic sword fights. Perhaps the greatest missed opportunity is that no one saw that Rathbone would've made the PERFECT Lamont Cranston/Shadow. Oh my gawd if I had control of a major studio for just one YEAR!!!!!

Worf

Auricauricle
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
So is this the genesis of a new thread? A Sherlock Holmes thread? Hmm?

Mr Peabody
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
I thought this, was, a Sherlock Holmes thread?

How about Worf as Holmes?

Worf101
12-18-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought this, was, a Sherlock Holmes thread?

How about Worf as Holmes?
IF I were to be a classic crimefighter.... I'd either be "Doc Savage" or "The Shadow". Something about a being all dressed in black, with a slouched hat and gleaming twin .45's get's to me, that and the ability to cloud men's (and more importantly womins) minds is just too good to pass up. Holmes, can be considered in many respects the first non-religious "super-hero". His super power being his powers of observation and superb intellect. "Protean genius"!!!!

Worf

bfalls
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with Troy as well, for the most part Sherlock Holmes wasn't Jason Bourne or the Daniel Craig Bond...the nationality of the actor I could care less about, there's always some time and place setting help required by the audience so this isn't overboard.

Worst part about the movie though is it would probably work (or fail) on its own merit without using the name of Holmes to sell tickets if they just kept the plot and and changed the names. There should be some form of character policing in Hollywood - what's next Superman being able to reverse time?

Sarcasm right? Didn't Superman reverse earth rotation in one of the movies to reverse time and save Lois Lane? Basil Rathbone was always my favorite Holmes. Always loved watching his Sherlock Holmes adventures when they were on in the afternoon after school. I have two DVD sets.

Feanor
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, as long as it's not Conan Doyle, who cares? B'sides, we can't all be Jeremy Brett, guvnah....
Brett was the perfect Holmes.

winston
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Sarcasm right? Didn't Superman reverse earth rotation in one of the movies to reverse time and save Lois Lane?
Yes" the year was 1978 starred...Christopher reeve" In Superman.....The Movie??!!
Gene Hackman" was the Bad Guy??!!

Troy
01-01-2010, 10:59 AM
So, did anyone in this thread ever see this?

I snuck in last night after watching Avatar. This version of Sherlock Holmes was a crushing bore. With it's obligatory animosity tempered with camaraderie between Watson and Holmes, it's villain dabbling in the dark arts and it's big fight at the end atop the under-construction Tower Bridge, the whole thing felt phoned in. Gee, will Holmes or the bad guy survive? Cliche on top of cliche, over and over again. There was nothing in this movie that surprised or engaged me.

Downey mumbled his way through every scene with his ridiculous excuse for an English accent. Jude Law looked bored. Rachel McAdams was awful too–totally miscast. Every scene looked dreary and muted. What a turd.

Mr Peabody
01-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but based on the Michael Bay thread no one here except me knows a good movie when they see it :) So you guys are like the critics, if you hate it, it's probably good.

How was Avatar?

Troy
01-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but based on the Michael Bay thread no one here except me knows a good movie when they see it :) So you guys are like the critics, if you hate it, it's probably good.

How was Avatar?

Read my most recent post in the Avatar thread.

If you like Michael Bay movies maybe you'll like Holmes, I dunno. I certainly don't like either.

markw
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I will go to see this movie since I can suspend belief to enjoy a good, mindless romp but IMNSHO, the perfect Sherlock Holmes today would be Alan Rickman.

Worf101
01-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I have to give the effort C+. Pluses for the use of CGI to provide us a Victorian era London so real it reeks of horse dung and blast furnaces. Not a lot of bathing going on and plenty of low dirt activities on the wrong side of the tracks. Downey and Law are closer to the actual ages of Holmes and Watson as depicted in the novels. I enjoyed it, but wasn't wowed by it. I'll see the sequel.

As the most filmed character in film history there'll be a sequel or somone else will pick up the mantle. Holmes forever!!!

Worf

kexodusc
01-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Yeah, C+ seems fair. This wasn't terrible or unwatchable...the accents were bad, the acting wasn't great, and the plot was a bit silly at time, but it was a decent popcorn muncher. I have to admit, I was wrong and probably a bit harsh on this film earlier. They didn't turn Holmes into an ass-kicking crime fighter but more of a calculated striker. Still, not quite the Holmes I remember, but doesn't mean it's wrong.

i kinda want to see the sequel too because I think it would add something that this film lacked.

Jack in Wilmington
01-03-2010, 07:18 AM
I saw it yesterday also and give it a B-. I agree with Worf that the black and white depicting of London in the later part of the 19th century was well done. I thought Rachel McAdams did a superb job portraying Irene, with just the right amount of cunning to get under Sherlock's skin at times and the sex appeal to throw him off his game.

I was glad that Sherlock explained how Blackwood did all of his tricks to fool everybody at the end, or I would have spent days trying to figure it all out. A definite buyer when it comes out on BluRay.

winston
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I was glad that Sherlock explained how Blackwood did all of his tricks to fool everybody at the end, or I would have spent days trying to figure it all out. A definite buyer when it comes out on BluRay.
My Thoughts also..... and I have already made space in the rack for the BR when it comes out.
Yeah' I wanted to wait little longer before i see it" but I was dragged out on Saturday evening to see it (course i had to buy the tickets and the pop corn!!) but its worth the 52 bucks that it sets me back.

IMHO" Robert Downey Jr . is one hell of a Guy" I mean' he beats all of his past problems??!! to delivered IRON MAN, TROPICAL THUNDER,THE SOLOIST, and even if he was not the perfect Sherlock Holmes (209) it is still a good flick.

Be advised That IRON MAN 2 is coming in May :) the man flies again