Favorite Hot Beverage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hot Beverage

Smokey
12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
As we are going into winter Solstice, what are your favorite hot beverages (beside alcohol :D) to keep you warm during those long dark cold nights?

Although Coffee have its place in morning to kick start the day, but at nights more subtle drink such as cup of brewed hot Tea hit the spot better. Accompanied with a twist of lemon and a sugar cookie, it is one of life’s simple pleasure.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2316010830_32cf5bd6ea.jpg

02audionoob
12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
How about a little hot chocolate...

http://alloveralbany.com/images/mrs_londons_hot_chocolate_rim_closeup.jpg

Smokey
12-12-2009, 10:36 PM
You're getting warmer :D

kexodusc
12-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Well as you can probably tell by my avatar, I am a coffee nut. I love espresso. I love a good macchiato once in awhile too. I'm not big into other hot drinks but I don't function without espresso. Making it is as much a part of the ritual as drinking it too.

I'm not big into warm drinks like teas, ciders etc, but I couldn't give up espresso.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Linea_doubleespresso.jpg

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 04:24 AM
I don't go to Starbucks because of their extortionary prices but I do like their hazelnut hot chocolate. Wish i could make my own but I've yet to find the hazelnut part to it (they use a syrup I believe).

Well as you can probably tell by my avatar, I am a coffee nut. I love espresso. I love a good macchiato once in awhile too. I'm not big into other hot drinks but I don't function without espresso. Making it is as much a part of the ritual as drinking it too.

I'm not big into warm drinks like teas, ciders etc, but I couldn't give up espresso.
Have you tried the Nespresso machines before? The capsules are quite expensive but it's pretty good!

kexodusc
12-13-2009, 05:01 AM
I don't go to Starbucks because of their extortionary prices but I do like their hazelnut hot chocolate. Wish i could make my own but I've yet to find the hazelnut part to it (they use a syrup I believe).

Have you tried the Nespresso machines before? The capsules are quite expensive but it's pretty good!
Hi AA. When I lived in Atlanta I was spoiled by a local roaster. I can't drink Starbucks now, they prepare their beans in a way that I find, well, burned. But I know lots of people prefer that.
I don't go to Starbucks here, but there's a local roaster/barista here that I frequent.

Haven't tried the Nespresso (never heard of it) but I recently upgraded my machine to a Gaggia Platinum (http://www.wholelattelove.com/reviews.cfm?itemID=1469#anchor) (got a great deal on it). The grinder is so-so, I use a Rancilio Rocky instead but the machine works well. Everyone has their vices....someday I'll get a better espresso machine, like audio, there's diminishing returns that make it tough to keep upgrading (especially when the wife wants a new bedroom set), but it's an addiction.

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi AA. When I lived in Atlanta I was spoiled by a local roaster. I can't drink Starbucks now, they prepare their beans in a way that I find, well, burned. But I know lots of people prefer that.
I don't go to Starbucks here, but there's a local roaster/barista here that I frequent.

Haven't tried the Nespresso (never heard of it) but I recently upgraded my machine to a Gaggia Platinum (http://www.wholelattelove.com/reviews.cfm?itemID=1469#anchor) (got a great deal on it). The grinder is so-so, I use a Rancilio Rocky instead but the machine works well. Everyone has their vices....someday I'll get a better espresso machine, like audio, there's diminishing returns that make it tough to keep upgrading (especially when the wife wants a new bedroom set), but it's an addiction.
You've really never heard of Nespresso? C'mon...

http://www.potdeyahourt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nespresso_george_clooney.jpg

Surely they're very well marketed in the US aswell.. oups, I meant Canada.
Anyway, yeah I'm just starting to appreciate coffee so I'm no expert. But I do know my father says the exact same thing about Starbucks coffee. It tastes burnt. I've never really had one, so can't judge for myself.
Fortunately espresso machines aren't as expensive as the hobby that we talk about here (I should hope not anyway), so it's fine to indulge ;)

BTW, have you worked on that IB sub yet?

kexodusc
12-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I don't really go looking for coffee gear in magazines or anything and haven't stumbled across the Nespresso before...George Clooney or not. I get most of my gear info from word of mouth from some other coffee nuts, and a few coffee forums that are a lot like ar.com for coffee lovers. So I'm sure there's lots of gear I haven't heard of.

BTW, have you worked on that IB sub yet?
I have 2 Behringer amps and 4 15" Dayton woofers, but my wife has vetoed any chance of me cutting 4 giant holes into the front wall in the media room at our new home...I'll revisit the issue in a few years maybe. I'll have to live with two 15" sealed units in the meantime. Actually, things sound so good now I really have no drive to change anything other than getting a new processor or receiver with HDMI capability...

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I don't really go looking for coffee gear in magazines or anything and haven't stumbled across the Nespresso before...George Clooney or not. I get most of my gear info from word of mouth from some other coffee nuts, and a few coffee forums that are a lot like ar.com for coffee lovers. So I'm sure there's lots of gear I haven't heard of.
Marketing wise (in western Europe anyways), Nespresso is the Bose of espresso coffee, albeit better quality than Bose. I'm just really suprised you guys haven't been hammered by their publicity.
It's pretty amazing the number of hobbies you have forums for. Even for things you would never guess there was a fan club for. Take shaving, how long can you go on talking about that? lol

I have 2 Behringer amps and 4 15" Dayton woofers, but my wife has vetoed any chance of me cutting 4 giant holes into the front wall in the media room at our new home...I'll revisit the issue in a few years maybe. I'll have to live with two 15" sealed units in the meantime. Actually, things sound so good now I really have no drive to change anything other than getting a new processor or receiver with HDMI capability...
Pretty sweet. I'd suspect they can do quite some damage:)
By next summer my plan is to make a ported sonosub using a 15" Tempest-X driver from Exodus Audio, if funds permit. The only problem is having it shipped here.
I'm still using a Dolby Digital Technics receiver from '01. May be time for an update soon, the thing doesn't even have banana compatible binding posts:D

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 07:14 AM
PS, any chances of seing pictures of your setup?

JoeE SP9
12-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey aa! I've never seen George Clooney in any ad anywhere here in the US. I've never seen or heard of Nespresso before. Clooney does voice overs in some ads here but no pictures video or film.
Many Hollywood celebrities do ads for overseas distribution. They won't do them for the US market.

BTW:
I saw a single cup cofee maker in the supermarket for $99.

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 07:50 AM
That's nuts Clooney is all over the place here... Nestle has its headquarters in Switzerland, so I guess it's not American!
Here is the main ad for it with Clooney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyeXrdZZ1o
You can only buy the Nespresso capsules which contain the coffee at a Nespresso 'dealer', as you can see in the ad. There is one here in Geneva and it's like you're in a Louis Vuitton or Prada shop. You almost feel like you have to dress up when you're going there.

ForeverAutumn
12-13-2009, 09:23 AM
You can only buy the Nespresso capsules which contain the coffee at a Nespresso 'dealer', as you can see in the ad. There is one here in Geneva and it's like you're in a Louis Vuitton or Prada shop. You almost feel like you have to dress up when you're going there.

That's hilarious! I've never heard of Nespresso here either. Maybe it's just European right now and not yet in North America.

I'm a coffee addict. Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by the coffee chains whose coffees I drink out of necessity but don't really love. There are a few Starbucks flavours that I like but since they are Bolds, they aren't brewed all the time. I don't like their current house blend or their Christmas Blend that they are currently pushing. But I do, on occasion have to drink them out of convenience. I would love to find a nice mom and pop coffee shop near me that brews good coffee, but no luck so far.

My favourite coffee chain flavour is Timothy's Mocha Java. But the Timothy's near my office shut down and I can't get it anymore. I was heart broken when they closed shop. Now I have to drink Starbucks at work, or stop at Tim Horton's on my way in. :(

As for my favourite hot drink (outside of coffee), that would have to be Tim Horton's hot chocolate. OMG, I love this stuff. I don't drink a lot of it because it is loaded with sugar and empty calories, but it is soooooooo chocolatey and delicious. And it has to made at the Tim Horton's location. Buying the powder and making it at home just isn't the same.

audio amateur
12-13-2009, 09:38 AM
That's hilarious! I've never heard of Nespresso here either. Maybe it's just European right now and not yet in North America.

I'm a coffee addict. Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by the coffee chains whose coffees I drink out of necessity but don't really love. There are a few Starbucks flavours that I like but since they are Bolds, they aren't brewed all the time. I don't like their current house blend or their Christmas Blend that they are currently pushing. But I do, on occasion have to drink them out of convenience. I would love to find a nice mom and pop coffee shop near me that brews good coffee, but no luck so far.

My favourite coffee chain flavour is Timothy's Mocha Java. But the Timothy's near my office shut down and I can't get it anymore. I was heart broken when they closed shop. Now I have to drink Starbucks at work, or stop at Tim Horton's on my way in. :(
I'm not familiar with the myriads of coffee shope available in North America. I think it is much more an American thing. We have a few chains here (Cafe Nero, Starbucks, Costa Coffee and a few others), but nothing like what you have. But we do have Nespresso:D
It's really interesting that it hasn't been marketed in the US. As you say, it may soon. I'm very curious. It could be because your market is harder to get in to.

kexodusc
12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
PS, any chances of seing pictures of your setup?
Sadly I am one of the few people in the world without a digital camera...maybe i should ask for one for Christmas if it's not too late? We are not into photos at all...kind of odd, there isn't a framed photo in the entire house now that I think of it...except a small 2" framed photo of our wedding picture that rests on my night table.

Thought of another hot drink I do like on occasion - some herbal lemon tea drink...I don't know if it has a fancy name. Neo Citran without the narcotics.