Electrocompaniet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Electrocompaniet

blackraven
12-12-2009, 12:43 AM
I want one- http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/electrocompaniet-emc-1-up-cd-player-review/

They make some nice equipment. Last year I almost bought a used Electrocompaniet DAC that was on consignment at a local HiFi store. It was a beautiful piece of equipment, really well made and elegant.

poppachubby
12-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Wow. It does look nice. Do you think your MH CDP gives it a run for the money at all? Maybe a silly question, but I don't have a clue. How has your current CDP been modded BR?

CDP is an area I am shamefully weak in. However, I've always made up in quality with a decent dac. Still, I am nowhere near hi-fi...

Feanor
12-12-2009, 05:36 AM
I want one- http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/electrocompaniet-emc-1-up-cd-player-review/

They make some nice equipment. Last year I almost bought a used Electrocompaniet DAC that was on consignment at a local HiFi store. It was a beautiful piece of equipment, really well made and elegant.
Sweet stuff, that.

Unfortunately away out of my bracket. Sometimes a few pieces are available on Audiogon, though.

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/TAS%20198%20COV2.jpg

blackraven
12-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Wow. It does look nice. Do you think your MH CDP gives it a run for the money at all? Maybe a silly question, but I don't have a clue. How has your current CDP been modded BR?

CDP is an area I am shamefully weak in. However, I've always made up in quality with a decent dac. Still, I am nowhere near hi-fi...

Pops, I never got to listen to the Electrocomapniet DAC at home, just in store. It gave a nice sound. As far as the MH goes. I preferred the MH CDP before the mod. It had a more transparent sound. The mod gave it a more forward and aggressive sound. I used RAM to do the mods.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=MODS

I upgraded the Clock, caps, op amps and a few other mods. It wasnt worth it. I ended up bring home the Marantz SA8001, Cambridge Audio 740c (which sounded better than the Marantz) and ultimately settled on the Cambridge Audio 840c which is an awesome player and a great buy when it sold for $1300. I ended up buying the Van Alstine hybrid Tube/ss DAC which had better sound when played on a pair of $9000 Salk Veracity HTR-3's at Frank Van Alstine's house which is 3 minutes from me. All 3 of his DAC's beat out the 840c. He even showed me the square wave on his O.Scope which showed the amount of distortion the 840c put out compared to his dacs which had a totally flat square wave. Although he did say the 840c was the best CD player to come his way on the Oscilloscope and he was impressed with it.

I ended up selling the 840c and using the MH as a transport. I wish I had kept the 840c as its treble was fantastic and I could have used it as a DAC for my TV, Tuner and for certain music.

If your ever looking to upgrade and want a tube like sound, give Van Alstine gear a look, even his solid state gear has a tube like sound.

poppachubby
12-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Wow, Frank Van Alstine is your neighbour? Must be hard to bring yourself to call the cops, when he's cranking his system late at night. I wonder how his DAC would fare against the Manley tube DAC? I love Manley.

I actually just bought a Golden Tube SE 40. Gonna put a few bucks into it and try to recapture its glory. They were giant killers when properly set up and running optimally. I could see myself going AVA down the road, if the GT proves to be everything I think it is.

I'm still on a fence about speakers...

blackraven
12-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Pops, Frank gives a 30 day money back guarantee on all his equipment, so if you ever want to try out his gear its risk free. Check his site frequently for used gear. He many times upgrades older gear with current tech.

frenchmon
12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I got a friend who has a Electrocomapniet CDP. Its a vey nice looking CDP. He got it a few years ago used on Audiogon. I did listen to it, but not like I wanted to, so I don't have anything to report about the sound. But I'm sure I'll get up with him again next year. His wife works with my wife and the wives are very good friends so we are bound to be over their house for dinner. I'll try and get to listen to it then.

frenchmon.