Receiver Deal Of The Century For $1198! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Deal Of The Century For $1198!

RoadRunner6
12-11-2009, 09:56 PM
For $1198 you can, paying $499 now and $699 in January, get performance that surpasses any AV receiver priced at about $5000 or less.

I'm talking about buying the newly arrived Emotiva UPA-5 five channel, 58 lb brute of an amp (125 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 185 watts per channel into 4 ohms with all five channels driven) for the holiday special of $499.

http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm

Combine with this amp the Emotiva UMC-1 pre-pro available in January for $699.

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Please note that the 125 watt or 140 watt rated receivers don't put out any where near that power with all five channels driven simultaneously.

Yeah, you can nitpick on a feature or so that isn't a make or break deal for most people. Or you can say but it doesn't have Audysey. You don't need it. The UMC-1 will have everything you need to properly set up your speaker system.

If you are considering a receiver in the near future and don't consider this combination of Emotiva separates, you are nuts. :biggrin5:

pixelthis
12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
receiver amps work fine for surround, the only augmentation you really need is something like the two channel amp they sell.
With the front channels releived of duty more goes to the surrounds, and in stereo
the sound of your front two speakers really rock with decent amps.
With the specs of that Emotiva it sounds like two and a half of my two channel, which
has identical specs per channel.
I like my Emotiva amp, but building an amp is a world of difference from building a pre-pro.
Think I WILL let others be the pioneers in that regard.
You know pioneers, the ones with the arrows in their backs.:1:

kexodusc
12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I am leaning towards being a guinea pig on their pre-pro. The person who introduced me to their amp had an older model (LCM-1?) and it certainly would hold it's own with the likes of Integra and Outlaw. He replaced an Outlaw receiver with it. It wouldn't quite hang with say an Anthem or something, so one has to keep expectations reasonable...but they are definitely targeting people who buy $1000-$1500 receivers so we'll see...if it does any better than my $1000 receiver I'll be satisfied. Outlaw is supposed to have one out soon too...

BadAssJazz
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
...if it does any better than my $1000 receiver I'll be satisfied...

Hopefully the Emotiva Pre/Pro & Amp will perform better by far than a $1K receiver. Otherwise most will likely pick up a receiver from a familiar face.

pixelthis
12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Hopefully the Emotiva Pre/Pro & Amp will perform better by far than a $1K receiver. Otherwise most will likely pick up a receiver from a familiar face.

iT SHOULD, HAVING NO AMPS in the cost, but then again, Glenn Beck should be prez.
I just got a receiver, didnt get it for the amps, although the amps in Integra / Onkyo
products tend to be very good (for receiver amps):1:

nightflier
12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, you can nitpick on a feature or so that isn't a make or break deal for most people. Or you can say but it doesn't have Audysey. You don't need it. The UMC-1 will have everything you need to properly set up your speaker system.

Then there are those of us who seek to simplify things even more. As long as your source is decent, you "need" even less.

And, excuse me for going OT, but this can't sit: As far as Glenn Beck being president, that assumes that a majority of people in this country would want that, and that's about the funniest thing I've read here in a while. Even flip-floppin' lyin' cheatin GW was never elected. Anyhow, Palin's got a better shot than Beck to get the nomination - now that will be theatrics like we haven't seen in years - drill baby drill through bridges to nowhere!

Feanor
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
And, excuse me for going OT, but this can't sit: As far as Glenn Beck being president, that assumes that a majority of people in this country would want that, and that's about the funniest thing I've read here in a while. Even flip-floppin' lyin' cheatin GW was never elected. Anyhow, Palin's got a better shot than Beck to get the nomination - now that will be theatrics like we haven't seen in years - drill baby drill through bridges to nowhere!
Palin -- the Venn diagram

pixelthis
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Then there are those of us who seek to simplify things even more. As long as your source is decent, you "need" even less.

YOU LIBERAL S need to get over it already...GW was elected.
And at least hes' an American citzen.
And at least he was sworn in(Obama wasnt so he could betray the country in good form
) .
WHAT does it take for you self hating leftist types to be happy?
You have an Illegal alien apologising for the United states, socializing large parts of the economy, destroying whats left of 200 years of civilization.
liberal collectivists (excuse me...Democrats) are running wild desecrating whats left of a once proud republic, and you're still not happy.
Oh, thats right, happiness occurs when all of the rich are dead, by that time the rich being defined as the guy with the last can of pork and beans.
MAYBE YOU'LL FEEL BETTER when you get your rfid chip.:1:

pixelthis
12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
You can keeo Obamanation...
I'll take

BAMA NATION

ROLL TIDE

nightflier
12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I hope Emotiva doesn't read your post and asks for their amp back.

BadAssJazz
12-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Can we get back to Home Theater...you know, the opiate that we're all addicted to?

GMichael
12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
This is the set up I would love to get. It's on my upgrade list along with a 1080p projector and a DIY monster sub.
(The use of the word monster in no way reflects on anything the company Monster does or sells)

nightflier
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Since the Emotiva gear matches so well, I wonder what an all Emotiva rack would look like. Does anyone here have such a setup? On a related note, I wonder about synergy. Is the gear designed to sound best together or more to be mixed and matched with other brands?

Geoffcin
12-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey guys keep it on topic, OK?