Looking For Speaker System Around $200...NEED HELP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Speaker System Around $200...NEED HELP

DustyBaker
12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Okay, so I know pretty much nothing about speakers and am looking for some advice. Last year I bought a receiver and a very poor quality 5 speaker system just to get some sound. I'm looking for speakers under $200 that will most importantly be used to play music, but also serve as audio for games and movies and stuff. Are bookshelf speakers a two speaker system? They're cheaper and it seems like they would provide the better music listening experience, but I can't figure out if they come out of a receiver or they work independently...going through the receiver is what I want. Basically, I'm very confused and need help!

02audionoob
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
If you want to run speakers with a receiver, it sounds like you need a pair of speakers and $200 should be a reasonable budget... like these Klipsch speakers (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/543645744/klipsch-b3)....the Synergy B3 for $199 with free shipping. What kind of receiver do you have?

DustyBaker
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Cool. I bought some Klipsch headphones a few weeks ago and they've been great so far. I'll definitely look into those. So is that two separate speakers or two speakers shoved into one cabinet thing? There's two speakers in the picture, but it looks like it might be a different view of the same one?

audio amateur
12-10-2009, 02:43 AM
It seems like the Maurdaunt-Short 902 are very good for the price. They are 225$. A forum member here, Leroy, has a pair and prefers them to his previous speakers which were Nola mini that retail for 700$.

LeRoy
12-10-2009, 05:39 AM
It seems like the Maurdaunt-Short 902 are very good for the price. They are 225$. A forum member here, Leroy, has a pair and prefers them to his previous speakers which were Nola mini that retail for 700$.

Just like A.A. wrote here, I would recommend the M.S 902's and yes I do prefer them over the Nola Mini's. While the M.S are over your budget by $25.00 it would be $ well spent on a quality product that you will enjoy.

Good luck with your research and selections.

02audionoob
12-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Cool. I bought some Klipsch headphones a few weeks ago and they've been great so far. I'll definitely look into those. So is that two separate speakers or two speakers shoved into one cabinet thing? There's two speakers in the picture, but it looks like it might be a different view of the same one?

What you would get with the Klipsch order would be both of those speakers in the picture. Both would come with the fabric-covered grille that you see pictured on one of them.

DustyBaker
12-10-2009, 11:13 AM
What you would get with the Klipsch order would be both of those speakers in the picture. Both would come with the fabric-covered grille that you see pictured on one of them.

Sweet. So I'll be putting them in a room that's probably something like 20' X 20'. Those two speakers will probably work fine for something like that right? And how will the bass be? I'm not looking for realistic movie explosion type bass, because as I said, these will mainly be used to play music. I generally listen to rock type genre's, so will the bookshelf speakers without a sub be able to give me enough bass?

manlystanley
12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd buy used for that price. I recently got a great pair of B&W 602's (S1) for $90 bucks.

Best Regards,
Stan

audio amateur
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow that's a great price Stanley how are you liking them?

02audionoob
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Sweet. So I'll be putting them in a room that's probably something like 20' X 20'. Those two speakers will probably work fine for something like that right? And how will the bass be? I'm not looking for realistic movie explosion type bass, because as I said, these will mainly be used to play music. I generally listen to rock type genre's, so will the bookshelf speakers without a sub be able to give me enough bass?

It's subjective. Small speakers often do not have the same bass extension as big speakers. It's not solely dependent on size, but there's general tendency. I use a sub even with my floorstanding speakers. If you want to sit in front of the speakers 10 feet away, I think they could sound great. If you want to really fill up a 20 x 20 room, I'm not so sure. In many respects it comes down to the quality of your system. What kind of receiver will you be using?

DustyBaker
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I'd buy used for that price. I recently got a great pair of B&W 602's (S1) for $90 bucks.

What's a good place to buy used from? I looked on ebay, but there didn't seem to be much available.

02audionoob
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
You could try Audiogon, but your budget could be tough to meet.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

...and there's Cragislist. Buying local saves the shipping cost. Buying used saves the tax.

manlystanley
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow that's a great price Stanley how are you liking them?

It's funny, I really didn't like them. They sounded kind-of boomy to me. I put them in my garage and listened to them while I worked on my fleet of old clunkers (5 drivers in my household). But, then a co-worker was going through a really rough divorce and his wife took there speakers. So, I gave the 60 2'sto him. He absolutely loves them!

Speakers are so subjective. What is one man's heaven is another man's hell.

Best Regards,
Stan

DustyBaker
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I think I'm gonna go with the Klipsch B-3's. Thanks for all the help guys

manlystanley
12-10-2009, 07:01 PM
What's a good place to buy used from? I looked on ebay, but there didn't seem to be much available.

Ebay is not the best price, in fact I find many times it's a bad price (if you include shipping).

Look into Craigslist. THere are some good deals there--and lots and lots of dogs. I can't believe that people list things for YEARS looking for one sucker. But, when a good deal comes by, they are gone in a second!

Best Regards,
Stan

audio amateur
12-11-2009, 03:28 AM
It's funny, I really didn't like them. They sounded kind-of boomy to me. I put them in my garage and listened to them while I worked on my fleet of old clunkers (5 drivers in my household). But, then a co-worker was going through a really rough divorce and his wife took there speakers. So, I gave the 60 2'sto him. He absolutely loves them!

Speakers are so subjective. What is one man's heaven is another man's hell.

Best Regards,
Stan
That was nice of you.
It's funny though that you wouldn't like 602 and yet you use 684's in your system. My brother owns 601 S2s, but they aren't set up properly so even though i've heard them many a time I can't really acess them properly. I own the 686 and like 'em :)

manlystanley
12-11-2009, 06:17 AM
That was nice of you.
It's funny though that you wouldn't like 602 and yet you use 684's in your system. My brother owns 601 S2s, but they aren't set up properly so even though i've heard them many a time I can't really acess them properly. I own the 686 and like 'em :)

I was real new to audiophile equipment when I got the 602's (e.g. 1.5 years ago). I was finishing my basement and everything was a mess. So, I put the 602's on top of two metal folding chairs. I wonder if that made the bass to sound wacco. But, the 684's are 3+ generations beyond the 602 S1's, and reading the reviews *at the time* they indicated that the 684's bass was a little lacking. So, I took a chance with them, figuring that the Bass would be at least not boomy.

I've since found that the Bass is very much to my liking (with the plugs I can modify it as I want) and the current reviews say that 684's bass is it's strong suit. The addition of the bottom flat stand really helps the speakers sound.

Yah, this guy is a very experienced program manager and has taught me tons of stuff. He is now my lead as well. So, I was happy to give something back to him.

Best Regards,
Stan

blackraven
12-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I would buy these Energy C-300's for $129 each if you can swing the extra cash. You wont have to buy speaker stands with these and will get better bass than lower priced bookshelfs.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300

These would be another option and keep you closer to your budget-

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

These Wharfedale diamond 9.4's are a great buy and are good speakers from a respectable company

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160328612714?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes