What do all the numbers mean? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do all the numbers mean?

r3dline
03-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Does anybody know a good sight that explains what all the numbers mean...say on the spec sheet of an amp or DVD/CD player. For example, on a DVD player, what does the audio signal to noise ratio mean, and is higher or lower better? Or on an amp, what is total harmonic distortion (I know this, but I'm just using this as an example)? Or say on a CD player, what does the "dynamic range" mean and is it better to be lower or higher? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I need to brush up on all this stuff if I'm shopping for new gear. hehe

Thanks.

Haoleb
03-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Signal to noise ratio's. Well kinda self explanatory. The amount of signal to the amount of noise. The higher the better.

Dynamic range, higher the better. For example. SACD's have a higher dynamic range than regular cd's, this is one of their benifits because they have better dynamics.

Robert Harley's "The Complete guide to High End audio" is a good book for someone to read who is getting into the hobby and wants to know more information about stuff. I reccomend it. While its not the last word in audio or anything it does contain alot of good information.

mtrycraft
03-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Robert Harley's "The Complete guide to High End audio" is a good book for someone to read who is getting into the hobby and wants to know more information about stuff. I reccomend it. While its not the last word in audio or anything it does contain alot of good information.

Unfortunately, a new person would never know when he is telling facts or audio myths.

karl k
03-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Does anybody know a good sight that explains what all the numbers mean...say on the spec sheet of an amp or DVD/CD player. For example, on a DVD player, what does the audio signal to noise ratio mean, and is higher or lower better? Or on an amp, what is total harmonic distortion (I know this, but I'm just using this as an example)? Or say on a CD player, what does the "dynamic range" mean and is it better to be lower or higher? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I need to brush up on all this stuff if I'm shopping for new gear. hehe

Thanks.take a browse thru the glossery page on every site you go to. You'll be more likely to get accurate descriptions. To get you started, here's one that covers a few pages worth...

http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/a.html

and another more basic description of HT receivers and DVD formats...

http://surroundassociates.com/glossary.html

The guys in the HT forum should be of great assistance in such matters.

Haoleb
03-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately, a new person would never know when he is telling facts or audio myths.

True.

Ok just dont read the chapters on wires and tweaks and your set :P

mtrycraft
03-28-2004, 02:36 PM
True.

Ok just dont read the chapters on wires and tweaks and your set :P

Are you sure? :)
Or, there may be sections in other chapters that are a bit on the voodoo side? :)