What do I need to go from 2 channel integrated to 5.1 HT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to go from 2 channel integrated to 5.1 HT?

canali
03-27-2004, 03:06 PM
If you reply DO NOT send any attachments or
logos...as i'm on a corporate server with MAJOR spam/filters
and even legitimate people are not getting through to me.
I don't have a personal email acct, unfortunately.

I have a 2 channel integrated receiver
(the Unico Hybrid....www.unisonresearch.com is the link...look for HYBRID)
I recently had 2 full range preamp outputs installed on it.

I wish to drive a pair of older but still good mission 731 pro bookshelf speakers (rear) whenever I play HT (I'll stick with 2 channel for my sacds).
i also just bought an SVS 20-30PC+ subwoofer for both HT and home audio, too.

Can you suggest something to attach to my Unico Hybrid integrated 2 channel receiver
(NOT to replace it, as it was modded by Parts Connexionand is a killer unit) but to supplement it?
Someone told me the Denon AVR 3803 is a good model as an add on, but don't know how to integrate it ...any other product suggestions are useful, too.

Many thanks, as this whole HT area is new
to me.

Joe Collins
Vancouver BC

markw
03-27-2004, 03:41 PM
My honest recommendations would be to get hold of a reveiver with pre outs and feed your integrated's main amp inputs from the receiver. Channel your two channel sources through the integrated and any multi channel sources thru the receiver.

If your integrated has some facility whereby you can fed in a like level signal directly to the power amp, that would be ideal. Otherwise, some type of switching would be needed on order to determinwe shich would feed your power amp.

In essense, for HT, you would only be using your integrated's power amp section.

Your amp does allow seperating the preamp and power amp stages, doesn't it?

canali
03-27-2004, 04:14 PM
My honest recommendations would be to get hold of a reveiver with pre outs and feed your integrated's main amp inputs from the receiver. Channel your two channel sources through the integrated and any multi channel sources thru the receiver.

If your integrated has some facility whereby you can fed in a like level signal directly to the power amp, that would be ideal. Otherwise, some type of switching would be needed on order to determinwe shich would feed your power amp.

In essense, for HT, you would only be using your integrated's power amp section.

Your amp does allow seperating the preamp and power amp stages, doesn't it?

----------------------------------
I'm not sure...just it has a bunch of imputs (aux, cd (av), tape in/out) and the 2 newly installed full range preamp outputs (since it's an integrated 2 channel receiver).

Joe

markw
03-27-2004, 06:36 PM
An integrated amp consists of two main parts... a preamp stage and a power amp stage. Some allow the use of these stages separately. Your preamp outputs allow you to use your preamp staqe to drive an external power amp. You need it's reciprical... the ability to use an external preamp stage to drive it's internal power amp stage.

Look for inputs for the power amp stage. That's the key here. Without this, you may be better off creating a separate HT system.

r3dline
03-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Okay, I'm a bit confused. So your integrated amp now has 3 pre-out sections? If that be the case, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't he just hook up a power amp to each of those and run each amp to a set of speakers (giving him 4 channels)? I'm not real sure what would be GOING to each of those 4 channels, though...

Sorry, but I'm really confused...

Personally, I think you would be better off just buying a Surround receiver. You could then use the power amp section of your current integrated amp to run your two mains if you wanted.

Are you totally against just buying a surround receiver?

Sorry, I know this is of absolute no help. :(

canali
03-27-2004, 06:58 PM
thanks, guy...on the preamp outputs i had installed it was for 2 subwoofers i was going to buy.

decided (on the advice of SVS) to just go the speaker wire route instead
(ie, speaker wire from amp to sub's l/r imputs and then another set of speaker
wire from the sub's l/r outputs into the speakers....for low frequency filtering.

,..but the chap who did the preamp outputs said i can always use them for
biamping.

r3dline
03-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Alright, my brain just had a vibrating fart. I'm outta this conversation. Sorry. :(