Like Father-Like Son...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Like Father-Like Son......

thekid
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Well finally got around to setting up my son's game/music system. Used all DCM speakers and I am powering them with an old Pansonic HE-75 5.1 surround sound receiver. He is very happy with his little corner of sound...

blackraven
12-05-2009, 06:25 PM
very nice, I've always liked DCM back when they had the Time window's.

kexodusc
12-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Very cool. Is this his first rig?

thekid
12-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Very cool. Is this his first rig?

More or less. we had little set-up in his old room but the room was very small and just did not allow for decent position of speakers. When he moved into the my daughter's old room and I had the DCM's sitting I thought this would work. He has really gotten into music in the last 2 years or so. I was going to do a separate 2-channel set-up but he really just likes this set-up. Several times a week will ask me to come in and hear one song or another as he is playing it.

thekid
12-05-2009, 06:48 PM
very nice, I've always liked DCM back when they had the Time window's.

You mean something like this.......

blackraven
12-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Exactly!

thekid
12-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Exactly!

I am listening to my pair right now. Technically they are the rear surrounds in my all DCM HT set-up but because I use separate amps for the front,center and rear I can listen to them in just a 2-channel set-up as well. Excellent speaker for classical and accoustic music!

poppachubby
12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Nice. I picked up alot from my dad. He passed when I was 12, which meant I got a bunch of his gear that he left to me. It wasn't until I was about 14 that it all really started to come together. My bass playing began to take off, and thus my interest in reproduction.

I always think about him when I see the latest audio tech product. He never got to see DACs, SACD, music servers, etc. Wonder what he would have thought of it all...

Anyhow, not trying to be a downer, all happy stuff here. Just saying its great when you can share your passion with your kid, kid. Hahaha....

manlystanley
12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Well finally got around to setting up my son's game/music system. Used all DCM speakers and I am powering them with an old Pansonic HE-75 5.1 surround sound receiver. He is very happy with his little corner of sound...

Your a good dad. Enjoy these years while you can. I have five kids (Ages: 27, 24, 22, 8, 6). All age groups are good, but right now I've really enjoying my youngest ones (6 and 8) gobs. When they get older they are so busy with there own lives (which is what you would want).

Best Regards,
Stan

JoeE SP9
12-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Manley:
A 14 year gap?

manlystanley
12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Manley:
A 14 year gap?

Umm.... Pour planning?????

No, really, we always wanted to have more children. So, 7 years ago, we adopted a little girl from China and then soon after a second little girl (Abby and Amanda). Our family and friends truly thought we were nuts. But we are really happy with them. My wife is Chinese so she is enjoying teaching them Mandarin and the Chinese culture.

I have one son left at home, but soon, it will only be my wife and our two girls...... You know, it takes a real man to live with 3 females. :-)

Best Regards,
Stan

Feanor
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Umm.... Pour planning?????

No, really, we always wanted to have more children. So, 7 years ago, we adopted a little girl from China and then soon after a second little girl (Abby and Amanda). Our family and friends truly thought we were nuts. But we are really happy with them. My wife is Chinese so she is enjoying teaching them Mandarin and the Chinese culture.

I have one son left at home, but soon, it will only be my wife and our two girls...... You know, it takes a real man to live with 3 females. :-)

Best Regards,
Stan
Commendable, Stan.

My wife & I thank heavens every day that we quit after two. We love them, but hate kids in general.

Worf101
12-08-2009, 08:41 AM
He keed, what's it take to get you to adopt me and give me a nice sytem like dat? Eh? Humm? Eh?

Hey Manley, good on ya M8. Sharing the love is the greatest calling any human being can do!!! Soon as knucklehead's off to college we'll probably find a kid somewhere who can use my crumudgeonly talents.

Da Worfster

Happy Camper
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Time Windows were and are a great speaker. A pleasure to listen to natural instruments with.

thekid
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
He keed, what's it take to get you to adopt me and give me a nice sytem like dat? Eh? Humm? Eh?

Hey Manley, good on ya M8. Sharing the love is the greatest calling any human being can do!!! Soon as knucklehead's off to college we'll probably find a kid somewhere who can use my crumudgeonly talents.

Da Worfster

Let me do a CBA to see if you are cheaper to keep/maintain than a 17-year old boy. If the numbers work in your favor then your in and he is out but you have to keep the room clean and take the trash out every other Friday........... :D

blackraven
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I would love to find a pair of TW's in good condition. They were out of my price range years ago and I was looking at the TF's and Genesis 44's before they went under.

I ultimately bought a pair of Cannon TLS which were affordable but did not sound as good. They had a large passive radiator in the rear. Great bass and warmer sounding but the treble had a slight sizzle to it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5101&size=big&ppuser=34948

Worf101
12-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Let me do a CBA to see if you are cheaper to keep/maintain than a 17-year old boy. If the numbers work in your favor then your in and he is out but you have to keep the room clean and take the trash out every other Friday........... :D
It seems we've been infested by the same pest "Teeageus Laziticus". My son has only 2 "jobs" get good grades and take out the garbage every Sunday night. Now, cept for a hiccup here and there, he's a stellar scholar and a good athlete, no REAL complaints. However, considering how bright he is why does he have to be reminded of taking out the friggen garbage EVERY SINGLE WEEK????

And then on top of having to be reminded, he misses half the bags and NEVER gets the recycling done!!!! It makes my head spin and my blood boil. If it weren't for the fact that he's basically a "good" kid I'd be strangling him constantly!!! As for the CBA, lets do a heads of trade, my knucklehead for yours and a couple of speakers. I'm sure your son would LOVE suddenly finding himself in a an all boys, Catholic Military School eh?

Worf

Happy Camper
12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DCM-Time-Window-III-Timewindow-3-Speakers-Pair-Oak_W0QQitemZ160383730708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeake rs_Subwoofers?hash=item25579d8414

http://cgi.ebay.com/DCM-TIMEWINDOW-1A-SPEAKERS-VINTAGE-NICE_W0QQitemZ220523675458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeak ers_Subwoofers?hash=item33583c3f42

thekid
12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
It seems we've been infested by the same pest "Teeageus Laziticus". My son has only 2 "jobs" get good grades and take out the garbage every Sunday night. Now, cept for a hiccup here and there, he's a stellar scholar and a good athlete, no REAL complaints. However, considering how bright he is why does he have to be reminded of taking out the friggen garbage EVERY SINGLE WEEK????

And then on top of having to be reminded, he misses half the bags and NEVER gets the recycling done!!!! It makes my head spin and my blood boil. If it weren't for the fact that he's basically a "good" kid I'd be strangling him constantly!!! As for the CBA, lets do a heads of trade, my knucklehead for yours and a couple of speakers. I'm sure your son would LOVE suddenly finding himself in a an all boys, Catholic Military School eh?

Worf

Worf

Sounds like you have a son to be proud of and reflects your efforts as a father.
Congratulations!

I have been very fortunate with both of my kids who have never given me a moment of heartache or grief in all of their years. (knock on wood!!!)

I have noticed a bit more pride in the way my son keeps his room since the new system was set-up. He was always pretty good about keeping his room clean but since the new set-up has been in place he has stepped it up a notch.