Sansui W-103 woofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sansui W-103 woofer

rockteach
12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey,
Need a little advice. I have got this great sounding Sansui 8080 amp/receiver pushing Sansui SP-1200 speakers. One of the W-103 woofers has a sort of rattle in it. Seems to be coming from the center cone. Pulled the speaker out of the cabinet and connections look and I can't find any tear in it any where. Any body have any idea of what the problem could be? Found a replacement W-103 online. Just wondering if I should replace it or is there a fix?

thanks

harley .guy07
12-05-2009, 01:12 PM
It is probably the voice coil coming loose from the cone and starting to rattle. This problem will only get worse as time goes by so if you have a good price on a replacement unit I would jump on it. And then take your old woofer and see if your can fix the voice coil and keep it as a backup. There is a way to fix this but most of the time people will replace the voice coil and cone assemblies instead of fixing them.

rockteach
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey harley .guy07,

Thanks for diagnosis. That sounds right and makes sense. I found a pair of W-103s for $88 so I'm going to go ahead and order them. Will still get the current one fixed. These are bound to get more scarce as time goes on.

thanks