Thoughts on Paradigm Monitor 5 v.4 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Paradigm Monitor 5 v.4

Cage
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
New to the forum!

I have a chance to pick up a set of Paradigm Monitor 5 v.4 speakers. The guy selling them is asking $300, claiming that's half what he paid. I'm no speaker expert by any means but I have heard smaller Paradigms and think they sound great. My current set of speakers is a set of Bose 301's and I think they sound kind of muddy. My stereo isn't a fancy set up, just a Pioneer amp and receiver, 40 watts RMS. I bought these two back in 1976 and they still work great.

Any thoughts on the speakers or comments on the price?

Thanks in advance!

harley .guy07
12-03-2009, 08:50 PM
that sounds like a fair price for a good quality speaker. If they are in good condition they will give you good sound for the money and will definitely smash the sound of your bose speakers. Years ago I sold Paradigm in a high end shop that I managed and Their speakers were the best bang for the buck products out there and we sold more Paradigm than any other speaker we sold. And even though you are powering them with 40 watts per channel I believe they will work pretty well with that amount of power as long as you remember the limits of your amplifier when it comes to dynamics and volume. I have heard plenty of Paradigm Monitor series speakers powered with lower powered amps and they do well. I would suggest that if you like your music louder and more dynamic that you upgrade to higher power when you get the chance but really you should be fine for moderate normal listening levels.

dakatabg
12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I can't tell you if you are getting a good deal or not because I couldn't find any prices online but definitely you will feel the difference in the speakers! Bose 301 are good speakers but Paradigm is something better! What is the exact model of the Pioneer receiver you have?

Cage
12-04-2009, 05:07 AM
The amp is a Pioneer SA-7500. The specs on it are 40 wpc min. I bought it new back in 1976 after I got out of high school. Still works great, but I'm not sure how it compares to the current technology. I have a pair of Epicure 200B speakers that I could use, but the "long suffering Mrs" says they are too big to be sitting in the room. (Maybe new speakers for the garage!)

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi200.htm

Invader3k
12-04-2009, 05:52 AM
The Monitor 5s are nice, but they don't have a lot of bottom end. As long as you're using them with a good subwoofer, you should be fine, though. I have a pair in my office that I use mainly for background music with an Onkyo receiver, and they sound nice.

Cage
12-04-2009, 06:15 AM
No sub-woofer. These would be the main speakers. Maybe I should pass on them. I also have a chance to pick up some JBL model 4800 floor models. Maybe they would give me better lows?

Invader3k
12-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah, if these are going to be for your main stereo system, you might be better off with something else. The impression I got of the Monitor 5s is that they're designed more for home theater application than stereo music listening. Just IMHO.

harley .guy07
12-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Well if the low end of the bose is enough for you I would say the Monitor 5 would be able to mach or better the low end of your bose speakers except the low end will be much tighter and more controled. Yeah they are a smaller speaker for a tower/stand mount hybrid speaker but they do have a much improved crossover and drivers/cabinet that your bose does not even come close to matching. If you are wanting bass like the older JBL's or something with a bigger 10 or 12" woofer then look elswhere but it sounds like the waf(wife approval factor) is not in your favor on that. Another thing to consider is to hold off for some monitor 7's which are in my opinion where you would find the low end you would be missing with the 5's or maybe even the monitor 9's but I prefer the tightness and control of the 7's over the 9's myself.