Boston Acoustics A60 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustics A60

cool09
12-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know what size speakers these are and 2-way or 3-way system? 8" paper woofers? There's an ebay auction for these and the seller has no clue what they are made of and no specs on the web.

poppachubby
12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I used to own a pair of these. They're great. Old school. I'm pretty certain it has an 8 inch polymer woofer and a 1-inch dome tweeter. Totally enclosed so good for putting in a cabinet or aghainst a wall.

dakatabg
12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
just google it. There is so much info about those speakers, I just checked

Jimmy C
12-04-2009, 01:56 PM
...I had the A70s (almost 30 years ago), the 150s not too long ago, and still have the A100s. Lotsa memories with that brand...

Yes, it's a SEAS 1" soft-dome tweeter, and an 8" woof. Poppa says it's a polymer woofer, but seems more like paper/pulp to me... not sure. The foam surrounds usually need attention, and the kits are a cheap fix. Boston STILL carries new woofers for the "A" line if necessary.

These are quite efficient (ca. 90 dB/1 watt/1 meter, IIRC) and easy on the ears. Decent dynamics for a relatively small speaker.

Heehee... I believe the "Boston Acoustics" logo spins around allowing sideways placement so the badge is parallel to the floor :*) That was the case on my 70s, anyway...

Good luck!

LeRoy
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Too bad the foam surrounds disintegrated on each of the woofers after about 5 years of ownership. As best as I can recall, the woofer's were 9" paper or pulp, and the tweeter was 1" dome.

I did not even think about refoaming them so I traded them in for some Yamaha floorstanders way back about 15-16 years ago.. I wish I would have kept the A-60's. I also liked the A-100's but never got around to buying them. This series 2 from BA is the only series I have ever liked from that company thus far and if you can get a pair with foam intact and with woofer and tweeter undamaged then you very likely would enjoy the heck of these speakers..

NJBlue82
07-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Pulled my old (i.e. 1988) A60s from the basement and gave them a test run (in the basement) - didn't sound bad for having woofers that as everyone mentioned, had the foam surrounds half-gone (should they not be like that?! :14: ). May have to buy replacement foam since I don't think KEF supports my reconditioning of my 103.2s.

Any advice on either set's reconditioning would be appreciated - KEFs still (1986) sound good at high volume but a bit fuzzy when quiet. I am a casual rock listener, not a classical audiophile but I can turn a Phillips screwdriver if I can find a woofer or two on the cheap.

luvtolisten
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I have a pair of the A60's Series II. As PoppaC said they have a dome tweeter, and a 8 inch poly woofer. The series 1 had a paper woofer I believe. Both are notorious for surround rot. I got mine at a garage sale, already refoamed for $35 last year.Not the best re-foaming job (cosmetically), but still sound great.

3LB
07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
The A series was very Polk-like to me...to me, a good thing. Love Polk Audio. But A buddy of mine had A100s w/ A60 as surround. T'was nice. Its easier than you think to source woofers for these.