Playing MEPG/DVIX on HDTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Playing MEPG/DVIX on HDTV

saden1
03-27-2004, 07:25 AM
I have finally purchased a big screen TV. Now i would like to know if there is some kind of hardware that will allow me to play the mpeg/divx anime files on my PC on the HDTV. Basically a device capable of streaming the files from my PC via network connection to the TV. Something like TiVo... I heard about KiSS which is dvix certified but I'm not sure if the product is mature enough yet.

Thanks.

AVMASTER
03-27-2004, 02:30 PM
I have finally purchased a big screen TV. Now i would like to know if there is some kind of hardware that will allow me to play the mpeg/divx anime files on my PC on the HDTV. Basically a device capable of streaming the files from my PC via network connection to the TV. Something like TiVo... I heard about KiSS which is dvix certified but I'm not sure if the product is mature enough yet.

Thanks.

check out Go-video dvd model D2730

surgeandoj
03-27-2004, 11:41 PM
buy a dual head video card with vga/dvi/svideo outputs. These range from 50 to +$300. I prefer ASUS's cards. If your HDTV has a DVI input then you just go straight in. If not and you have a upconversion feature on your receiver, use that with the svideo cable. The nice thing about dual head cards is the overlay mode which automatically plays movies in full screen on the second screen ( your HDTV). However, you won't get high definition picture with those compressed mpegs and AVIs these are comparable to VHS and tv quality . Use a good player like DivX and experiment with different codecs to see if they make a difference. A somewhat cheaper yet less versatile way would be to get a video splitter that converts the signal from VGA to RCA/coax but they tend to have a poor picture

I'm warehouse manager for a server company and i've found a couple DVI to Component as well as VGA to dvi cables in these big boxes of cables we sort through. If you want one, or anyone else wants one, let me know and i'll send you one. Also if you need help selecting a video card i can help with that too.

i've got my computer hooked up to my TV and Receiver and it looks/sounds great. TV in the middle, 2 20" CRTs on one side and one on the other, its a bit overkill but everyone can see a great picture on whichever of the 4 screens is most convenient, great for visualizations @ parties too.