I'm getting into vinyl...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting into vinyl......

manlystanley
12-01-2009, 04:18 AM
So, I'm gradually getting into vinyl. I had a nice GW turntable, but decided to upgrade it to a Denon DP300F, which should be here today. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

I've got about 1000 vinyl's now. The breakout is:

About 200 Big band Jazz Records ( 78 RPM).
About 200 Classical Records (78 RPM)
About 200 (mainly Jazz) 33 RPM LPs.
About 150 other records 33 RPM LPs.

I bought of CL about 700 Vinyls (I'm still trying to go though them) from a grandson of his late Jazz loving Grandfather.
What I'm planning on doing with them is:

--> I'm thinking about getting a GW turntable that supports 78 RPM. That way I can enjoy the 78 RPM jazz without needing to change out anything. Hopefully I can get one for $30 and then buy a new cartridge and needle.

Several of the 78's that are really cool are:

-- Two Rachmaninoff concertos with the piano being played by Rachmaninoff himself. With these 1930 albums they are like cloth on the outside with some really amazing artwork. So, I'm thinking that these will sell well.

-- One 1930s album of Stravinsky conducting his firebird suite.

-- Two 1930 albums of Stravinsky conducting Tchaikovsky works.

Best Regards,
Stan

JoeE SP9
12-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Uh, manly, vinyl is not referred to as "vinyl's". Vinyl is both singular and multiple.

The management here looks down on too much sales talk.

Do you intend keeping any of your vinyl? If so which ones and why? I'm just being a "nosy Parker" here.

If you're going to listen to vinyl I strongly suggest some sort of record cleaning device.

You'd be surprised how good vinyl that's visibly old and misused can sound when properly cleaned. Dealing with 78 RPM is something I've deliberately stayed away from. Inconsistent speed and wildly varying playback EQ curves are too much for me.

I have lots of vinyl. I had to gradually get into CD's.

Geoffcin
12-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I've moved this to the Analog room, but if you want to sell items please use the marketplace.

manlystanley
12-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Uh, manly, vinyl is not referred to as "vinyl's". Vinyl is both singular and multiple.

The management here looks down on too much sales talk.

Do you intend keeping any of your vinyl? If so which ones and why? I'm just being a "nosy Parker" here.

If you're going to listen to vinyl I strongly suggest some sort of record cleaning device.

You'd be surprised how good vinyl that's visibly old and misused can sound when properly cleaned. Dealing with 78 RPM is something I've deliberately stayed away from. Inconsistent speed and wildly varying playback EQ curves are too much for me.

I have lots of vinyl. I had to gradually get into CD's.

Hello Joe,
Good points and questions. Also, I didn't know about the sales talk concern . I'll make sure to follow that advice. I'm just going through the stuff now. I have gotten some good pointers about cleaning records, also, I can't afford to shell out the $353 that a new cleaning machine costs.

But, I think that I'm planning on keeping a lot of the albums that are not in the best of shape. So far, my favorite album is:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/d97a87bb9e8fd178c19a60282f834dda/4562.jpg&imgrefurl=http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ella_fitzgerald_and_louis_armstrong/ella_and_louis/&usg=__KuAOR1MVTUc-9zRKdwPqdXXkqxk=&h=279&w=280&sz=23&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=_xzo2pyCKaij7M:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drecord%2Bmg%2Bv-4003%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

The mixture of Ella's smooth as silk voice and Louis's raspy voice is so cool. But the album itself (beside the scratches) plays with a lot of "hiss". I hope that my new turntable will solve that. If, not I'll try cleaning it.

What am I planning on keeping? I don't know. I'd like to keep a good chunk of it, and sell others that I don't really like. But, I'm still new to this and so am enjoying while I learn.

As far as the big band 78's. I'm kind of excited about these. It's kind of cool to handle original records from the 1930's. After getting my 78 RPM table going, I might come away with your low opinion of them. But, it will be fun to play around with.

Why keep Vinyl? Well, multiple reasons: It's cheap to buy an entire collection like this. And, from my listening, Vinyl has a much warmer sound. When I switch back to CD's I find they sound harsh. So, I like the vinyl sound. I expect that I'll be keeping lots of them and selling others that are not quite to my taste.

Are you being nosy? Nope; not at all. I enjoy and learn from the exchange.

Which ones will I keep? I don't even fully know what I've got. I think I listed 30 of them so far. I'd imagine I'll list some more.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
12-01-2009, 08:01 AM
I've moved this to the Analog room, but if you want to sell items please use the marketplace.

My fault. Sorry about that. In retrospect I can see how my posting did sound like I was trying to sell something on this site. Further, I went to the original post and deleted the sections that had anything related to what I'm selling on Amazon.

Best Regards,
Stan