Pink Floyd's The Wall was released 30 years ago today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd's The Wall was released 30 years ago today

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Man, that makes me feel old. :shocked: :frown5:

Stone
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, listening to The Wall makes me feel like I'm dying too.

Auricauricle
11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Light 'em up!!!

bobsticks
11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
David Gilmour: Live in Gdansk is on 1505 PLDHD at 10:00 tonight....haven't seen the vid but the disc is good...a mix of both Floyd and solo stuff...might be worth DVR'ing for y'all non-nightowls.

Auricauricle
11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Nice one, Mark! You can check it out on Youtube, if you like....

BTW, WTH is 1505 PLDHD??

bobsticks
11-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Nice one, Mark! You can check it out on Youtube, if you like....

BTW, WTH is 1505 PLDHD??

Sorry, it's a music channel on AT&T U-Verse...I would imagine the call letters are applicable on other cable networks as well, though not necessarily the channel number.

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
David Gilmour: Live in Gdansk is on 1505 PLDHD at 10:00 tonight....haven't seen the vid but the disc is good...a mix of both Floyd and solo stuff...might be worth DVR'ing for y'all non-nightowls.

I've got the DVD. It's sweeeeeet.

Yeah, listening to The Wall makes me feel like I'm dying too.

I hope your kids grow up to be proggers. :cornut:

bobsticks
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I've got the DVD. It's sweeeeeet.

Then you should prolly check out "Remember that Night" David Gilmour Live at the Royal Albert Hall. It's most excellent.

Even if Stone doesn't like Floyd that's just rude...some things you should never wish on anyone or speak aloud...call me superstitious, but these things have a half-life...Stone'll be having holiday family time and his kids will show up in capes....oh the humanity....

Auricauricle
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah...or green pajamas and have weird, antennae-looking things coming outta their noggins!

Mr MidFi
12-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Sorry, it's a music channel on AT&T U-Verse...I would imagine the call letters are applicable on other cable networks as well, though not necessarily the channel number.

It's Palladia HD, for those of us with Comcast HD service. Caught a bit of it last night, until the wife insisted we switch back to the football game.

dakatabg
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
I still have the cassette

Finch Platte
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Yet another album that's been overplayed to death by radio. :mad2:

Woochifer
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Just saw the CD of The Wall selling for $29 (:shocked:) last night at Rasputin Music (the last remaining music store chain in No Cal). I guess someone's still buying it! Now that they have regained the distribution rights to their Columbia-era albums, I guess they're still going to charge top dollar for those titles, especially if they continue sell well.

I still have my half-speed mastered CBS Mastersound LP copy of The Wall. Sound quality blows away the CD versions I've heard.

I remember when The Wall came out and the local record stores had huge stacks of the LPs on the floor. Some copies had the album name imprinted onto the shrink wrap, others had a simple paper tag underneath, and I recall some others had it imprinted onto the cover itself. The collectors probably know more about this than I do.

-Jar-
12-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I still freaking love THE WALL..

Finch Platte
12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
If you can find the latest Mojo mag, pick it up. It has a most excellent article w/ Roger Waters about PF, plus the difficulties & triumphs of The Wall live, as offered by various musicians & technicians. I'm not much of a Floyd fan, but it was really cool to read how they managed to deal with the technical aspects of the show.

Plus there's a free CD w/ the mag w/ disc 1 of The Wall (http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/10/mojo_rebuilds_the_wall.html) done by various bands. Not too shabby. Next month, disc 2.

BarryL
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Man, that makes me feel old. :shocked: :frown5:

One of my courses was called "Ideology and Morality" and was the study of Europe and the Second World War. The Wall fit in perfectly with what I was studying. It was a huge success in every way from the day it was released. There's probably been nothing like it since.

Whatever you think of it now that it's been played to death for 30 years, it was a triumph of imagination and recording at the time. It really showed the genius of Roger Waters, both artistically and commercially with stage show concepts and the movie. Yeah, The Who paved the road PF followed, but Floyd brought it to a whole new level, with a serious literary tale for the ages, not the stupid story line that was Tommy.

Too bad Waters couldn't follow up with anything else of artistic significance. Maybe Bob Ezrin deserves bigger praise for his involvement than he gets. But for The Wall, Waters should be enshrined as one of the greatest artists of the 20th Century, for what is probably the best and most literate rock concept album of all time.

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I didn't realize how much I missed your posts here until you started posting again. Always so well thought out and insightful.

...and I'm not just saying that to up the Christmas anti either. :)

3LB
12-21-2009, 04:31 PM
I liked The Wall, but haven't listened to it in its entirety in years. I've heard several other concept/theme/story albums since and for what its worth, at least you don't need a five page program to figure out what the hell is going on. Lyrically, most of the songs stand alone and can be enjoyed by themselves. As an album, it has a great flow from beginning to end, which is a feat in and of itself given its a double album. Musically, it jumps from your stereo. So many epic concept albums are so ponderous (the bane of prog). This was Waters last great effort in my opinion. He never was this good again.

Troy
12-21-2009, 06:05 PM
The Wall would have been great as a single album. There's 10 minutes of classic Floyd on each of the first 3 sides, but side 4 is almost entirely unlistenable. Mother? Are you kiding me? They coulda cut this to 40 minutes, easy, and they might have had their greatest album. As it was released, it's a total shark jumper. Animals is the best of the band's 4 major albums. It has that interesting, less rigid cyclical format and a certain ambiguity and surrealness in those acidic and cynical lyrics, the more rocking Yang to Wish You Were Here's Yin. It doesn't have to bog down in a narrative story like The Wall does. Just my opinion.

But damn, 30 years? I keep talking about stuff that happened 30 years ago in rooms full of people and half of them have no idea what I'm talking about. It feels weird being the geezer waving his cane muttering "I remember back in the old days . . ." in a quavery voice. It feels like yesterday to me.

BarryL
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
But damn, 30 years? It feels weird being the geezer waving his cane muttering "I remember back in the old days . . ." in a quavery voice. It feels like yesterday to me.

Ya got it wrong. You and me, we never get old. When it feels like a long time ago, then you're getting old.

MindGoneHaywire
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
>The Wall would have been great as a single

Fixed.

3LB
12-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't know if it was a shark jumper but it is too bad that there wasn't an album version and a soundtrack version. But yeah, this album could easily be whittled down to 50 minutes easy. I usually end up skipping tracks like Don't Leave Me Now, Goodbye Cruel World, Vera, Bring The Boys Back Home, The Trial...Mother does have some good guitar in it at least.