What do musicians do when they have to pee? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do musicians do when they have to pee?

Finch Platte
11-23-2003, 04:52 PM
I was thinking about this while watching James Taylor live on the DVD. He and the band (including several women) are playing for almost 2 hours. How do they go that long without having to pee? Especially James- he's gotta be in his late 60's... And would the girls go offstage to the bathroom together?? You know how they can't go alone- I can see the look on JT's face now as they leave the stage, arm in arm, looking back over their shoulders, laughing.

The drummer has it easy- he can discreetly pee in a cup- he'd have to make a deal with the cameramen so they would keep the cameras off him while he drains the ol' bladder. But at least one of the camera "guys" is prone to be a fruit (not that there's anything wrong with that..), and he'd keep the camera trained on the drummer for *ahem* later use. Hopefully, his cry of "sh!t, that's a big b@st@rd" won't bleed over into the soundtrack. Maybe the keyboard player could pee in a cup as well, but he's usually sideways to the audience, so he'd have to wait until the sax solo.

When I was in a band, the longest we had to play was an hour, and then most of us made a beeline for the bathroom as soon as the set was over. Of course, we were drinking as much beer as we could handle *coff, coff* and then some... Maybe that's the difference?

Hmmmm, maybe we'll see JT in an ad for Depends soon? Or Keith Richards? Man, there's gotta be some internal distress goin' on there ;0)

fp

http://bofh.ntk.net/BlokeLeak.html here's some laughs for the guys (who else comes in here?).

Dusty Chalk
11-23-2003, 07:22 PM
If it's the drummer, he waits for the guitar solo (cf. Led Zeppelin during Dazed & Confused from Song Remains the Same, Spinal Tap, guitar solo [well, duo, really, since he's playing two guitars]).

If it's the guitarist, he waits for the drum solo (see, Jay? They do have their uses).

If it's one of the others, they wait for the guitarist or the drummer for their solo.

I have known concerts to stop completely. They usually wait for a song to complete, as far as I remember.

PS My emu likes your blonde. Who is that, Sharon Stone?

Dave_G
11-24-2003, 06:21 AM
Is that Avatar you in drag, eff pee?

Damn!

Dave

JazzHead
11-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Ozzy allegedly just lets it rip - apparently years of abuse led to a breakdown of the old plumbing, and he now suffers from incontinence. That's why he dumps buckets of water over himself during the show - makes the problem less obvious to onlookers.

peace,
jh.

MindGoneHaywire
11-24-2003, 12:52 PM
What do musicians do when they have to pee? They pee.

I don't know, I personally have never had a problem. I'm not a guy who's played a million gigs or anything, but I have done sets of at least 2 1/2 hours in duration & never had a problem. Maybe once or twice there was an instance where someone would take a solo turn (singing a song, not masturbating on their instrument) so the rest of the band could relieve themselves, but maybe that happened...once. Otherwise, the combination of adrenaline & having the foresight to hit the gent's room prior to climbing on the stage usually wins out. Also, most acts play sets of about an hour, or less. The only bands playing longer are superstars, jam bands, & multi-set bar bands. So I don't think it's all that much of an issue for most players, really.

nobody
11-24-2003, 01:45 PM
If you were GG Allin, you'd just piss on the audience. If you weren't dead that is.

bobsticks
06-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Ahh, that old chestnut...

What do musicians do when they have to pee?

"...My salad days, When I was green in judgment, cold in blood..." slowly being eaten away...

Swish
06-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Ahh, that old chestnut...

"...My salad days, When I was green in judgment, cold in blood..." slowly being eaten away...

I thought he just became a little off-kilter over the last 2 or 3 years, but I was wrong.

Swish - first time for everything

emesbee
06-13-2008, 06:29 AM
That's why they always have sections within a concert where individual band members disappear from the stage for a while. I'll bet its so they can make a mad dash to the backstage toilets.